Gameday 2024 Trial 1 - Warriors vs Wests Tigers

Interesting trial ahead. Win/loss of these things never mean too much to me.

More interested in what sort of attacking shapes their using, defensive structure, line speed on D, who combines well with who....that sort of thing.

With the constant changing of players, subbing in almost entirely different line ups at times its usually hard to get any sort of flow with these matches. Up until last years trial i was always frustrated as it seemed to look like it was the first time some of our guys had ever met each other. I know u dont ever hit your straps from the start but pre last year used to always wonder "what the hell have these guys been doing pre season".....too many sand dunes and gym not enough team work.

Last years one i remember thinking we looked far more organised than in the past and my main takeaways Te Maire and Metcalf combined pretty well in the halves and we looked pretty crisp on our shifts with some nice movement off the ball. Was also evident from the previous season (with Brownie) where our edge defence was getting exposed time and again that we werent employing the up and in but holding and allowing insides time to recover. So despite the scorelines and the stop start nature of these games theres always little insights to be gained.

IMG_7744.jpeg

Big ups to all you Cantabrians and those in the SI travelling to CHCH to support the boys today!

Article on Metcalf.
If Metcalf doesn't get regular game time then he's leaving us is how I read it.
That's a really good thing for us because it means he's going to try 110% to be a regular first grader and if he still can't crack the team means he's no good I guess.
It's not like other teams have been chasing him.

Interesting trial ahead. Win/loss of these things never mean too much to me.

More interested in what sort of attacking shapes their using, defensive structure, line speed on D, who combines well with who....that sort of thing.

With the constant changing of players, subbing in almost entirely different line ups at times its usually hard to get any sort of flow with these matches. Up until last years trial i was always frustrated as it seemed to look like it was the first time some of our guys had ever met each other. I know u dont ever hit your straps from the start but pre last year used to always wonder "what the hell have these guys been doing pre season".....too many sand dunes and gym not enough team work.

Last years one i remember thinking we looked far more organised than in the past and my main takeaways Te Maire and Metcalf combined pretty well in the halves and we looked pretty crisp on our shifts with some nice movement off the ball. Was also evident from the previous season (with Brownie) where our edge defence was getting exposed time and again that we werent employing the up and in but holding and allowing insides time to recover. So despite the scorelines and the stop start nature of these games theres always little insights to be gained.
I think it also depends on how your club did the previous season. We have struggled for ever, so we had to look to the preseason for hope. Now that we have more belief, we can relax for these games.

The Dogs needed a strong showing and were poor, as did Dragons. Tigers will be the same.

Article on Metcalf.
Not sure if it’s what he said
Or how it was written
Or the tone I read it

But I didn’t like it
He’s not connected to the club
He’s about himself and career and if we can’t give it, he will go find it

I see his point of view of course he has limited time to kick ass and possibly one injury away from oblivion

I just want a crew that’s believes in getting us our premiership

Article on Metcalf.
Dont have any issues with this at all.

Thats how we want all our players - hungry to make that first grade side, so we know he's going to give it his all.....wether he nails down that spot or not tho time will tell.

No issue with him moving on if he doesnt either, probably would walk into a halves spot in a few of the lower clubs so totally understandable if does make a shift.

Im still hoping he hits his potential here.....has some limitations to his game but some real nice assets which adds a nice point of difference to any side. Thought he was starting to become a nice foil for SJ on that winning run we went on before he got injured.

Still think he's a fullback personally.

Dont have any issues with this at all.

Thats how we want all our players - hungry to make that first grade side, so we know he's going to give it his all.....wether he nails down that spot or not tho time will tell.

No issue with him moving on if he doesnt either, probably would walk into a halves spot in a few of the lower clubs so totally understandable if does make a shift.

Im still hoping he hits his potential here.....has some limitations to his game but some real nice assets which adds a nice point of difference to any side. Thought he was starting to become a nice foil for SJ on that winning run we went on before he got injured.

Still think he's a fullback personally.
I agree with you.
If his timing had been better ie on kick chases and not sustained his injuries we would be holding him witn a much higher opinion .
All up to him now to forge a place in our FG side.
Same goes for every single player in the team

Warriors will be doing well to come out on top in this game I think. Result doesn't really worry me. More interested in how RTS goes and if he is playing left or right. How Metcalf goes at 7 organizing, directing the team around and his distribution. How CHT performs at 6, how rusty he is and if him and Metcalf swap over roles at some point in the game for Webster to evaluate. A few other little things I want to watch for but those are the main ones.

I see they are going to announce something at today’s game about a bid for a South Island team in the nrl. Sounds like there could be a Hollywood star backing them? Wonder if a region like Canterbury would amalgamate with the north Sydney bears, who want to return to the nrl? They have the same colours at least.
The South island bears?

I wont be surprised to see the boys hit the ground running today. Last years first trial was a bit up and down. New coach, some new players, first non covid preseason back home ... so basicly started from scratch..
Obviously, there'll be a few things to iron out, but I'm sure we'll be further down the track than this time last year.

Back