Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm just going by their own questionnaire.

In one regard I hope it's wrong because the idea of an unemployed solo parent with three kids taking home a similar amount to a married nurse with three kids doesn't sit very well with me. But equally I hope it's right because if what @Rizzah is saying is correct, then good luck surviving on that amount with three kids, whatever circumstances led them there.
Not to mention the benefits of working on personal mental health and self worth across many areas.

Someone like you would also understand that having at least a spoken level of basics in day to day conversation in a second language is powerful for children's brains and a good way to teach people to think more broadly - expand their mental horizons - increase their level of intelligence, this is irrespective of whether they are fluent or not.
On the money Dave.

No surprise that back in the day, the academic classes needed a second language to UE standard to get to University. Latin or French in my day. It wasn't to ensure you only visited France or Italy on your OE but to think as you've said, more broadly and expand horizons. My schoolboy French still gets me a drink and a meal in Europe without too much trouble. Also helpful in Quebec!

So many areas of society are broken right now:

‘General practitioners (GPs) are in crisis mode and in the past month an unprecedented 155 clinics have issued a formal warning to the Government, saying they’re in danger of not being able to provide services.’

That’s pretty depressing…

Underfund for years as part of the big government bad mantra (a core tenet of the neoliberal framework btw :) ), allow private health providers to move in and steal the health workers, allow unrestrained migration, have a world pandemic and yep that'll do it.

Thanks neoliberalism.

I know an 18 year old with ADHD, wouldn't trust him to hold a stop/go sign, it'd be carnage. What do you do with kids like that?
It’s a tough one but most of us have a passion for something, for some it’s a matter of finding it. Reminds me of the story of a famous ballet dancer I think it was? Her mother was taking her to have her committed I think? Whoever was assessing left the room with the mother and left the girl and they went out and watched her to which she started dancing around the room. Sometimes the ideal people to help those with issues are those with issues too, as they sometimes know where the person is coming from and how to help with a similar wiring.

It’s a tough one but most of us have a passion for something, for some it’s a matter of finding it. Reminds me of the story of a famous ballet dancer I think it was? Her mother was taking her to have her committed I think? Whoever was assessing left the room with the mother and left the girl and they went out and watched her to which she started dancing around the room. Sometimes the ideal people to help those with issues are those with issues too, as they sometimes know where the person is coming from and how to help with a similar wiring.
Janet Frame, one day away from a lobotomy at Seacliffe to cure her crippling anxiety before her dr got word her first book had been accepted for publication.

My idea for that adhd kid was to tie him to a clothesline with a generator on it to power the house, he'd love running around in circles all day. Was going to suggest it to his mother but she'd have bottled me.

Very true, the English language is England's greatest ever export and as you I am sure are aware, the language you speak shapes your brain and how you see the world.

Someone like you would also understand that having at least a spoken level of basics in day to day conversation in a second language is powerful for children's brains and a good way to teach people to think more broadly - expand their mental horizons - increase their level of intelligence, this is irrespective of whether they are fluent or not.

A good example of that is Pakeha on the Marae who have learned very basic but reasonably well pronounced words get adopted by the people for giving a shit.
Very very true.

Perhaps the diplomatic route would be to established boundaries for Te Reo in regards to making modern life more problematic, but also encourage bilingualism in education.

Janet Frame, one day away from a lobotomy at Seacliffe to cure her crippling anxiety before her dr got word her first book had been accepted for publication.

My idea for that adhd kid was to tie him to a clothesline with a generator on it to power the house, he'd love running around in circles all day. Was going to suggest it to his mother but she'd have bottled me.
You could have just found a new occupation and how we power our electric car fleet. Plenty of time though, probably about 50 years until anyone can afford one.

to briefly elaborate on the above;

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

It’s well intentioned to increase the use of Māori language, but making it more difficult for people just encourages pushback and can have completely unintended consequences.

A perfect example of that is the sesame labelling in the United States. Allergy groups wanted sesame labelling added as one of the main allergens, so people could avoid sesame seeds. The problem is, it is very expensive and difficult to separate sesame from all ingredients. Businesses simply added sesame seeds to things that didn’t have it before and put “includes sesame seeds”

So what started as a good intentioned move, ended up reducing the amount of food available to people with severe sesame allergies.

Very very true.

Perhaps the diplomatic route would be to established boundaries for Te Reo in regards to making modern life more problematic, but also encourage bilingualism in education.
I’ve always thought Maori in primary school should be compulsory and you can select it in secondary school to pursue it further if desired. I think we all should be able to pronounce places in NZ and street names etc at a minimum without butchering it.

Very very true.

The Welsh model seems to work, small percentage of fluent native speakers there but they adapted to bilingual culture, seems to be a point of pride.

Casey Costello - some background, in case anyone wants a break from tracking shoplifters. After all if that's your flavour of moral compass you should be very disturbed by the corruption we're seeing in parliament at the moment.

Founding trustee of hobson's pledge

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_ZkGOqrHfI
Interviewed here by the Institute of Public Affairs, an Australian conservative thinktank significantly funded by Gina Rinehart, a far right mining billionaire, funded by a network of other right wing thinktanks.

She has been an active part as Chair of the Taxpayer's union, who are funded in part by British American Tobacco, and also have ties to the Atlas Network

Jordan Williams, one of the founders of the Taxpayers Union is also part of the Dirty Politics saga. These groups do a lot of dirty work on behalf of Act and the National party.

The current line from mps of the coalition today has been to compare nicotine to caffeine. A line straight out of big tobacco's playbook.

Chris Bishop used to be a tobacco lobbyist - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Bishop

His father is John Bishop, who is also a founding chairman of the taxpayers union

Casey Costello - some background, in case anyone wants a break from tracking shoplifters. After all if that's your flavour of moral compass you should be very disturbed by the corruption we're seeing in parliament at the moment.

Founding trustee of hobson's pledge

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_ZkGOqrHfI
Interviewed here by the Institute of Public Affairs, an Australian conservative thinktank significantly funded by Gina Rinehart, a far right mining billionaire, funded by a network of other right wing thinktanks.

She has been an active part as Chair of the Taxpayer's union, who are funded in part by British American Tobacco, and also have ties to the Atlas Network

Jordan Williams, one of the founders of the Taxpayers Union is also part of the Dirty Politics saga. These groups do a lot of dirty work on behalf of Act and the National party.

The current line from mps of the coalition today has been to compare nicotine to caffeine. A line straight out of big tobacco's playbook.

Chris Bishop used to be a tobacco lobbyist - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Bishop

His father is John Bishop, who is also a founding chairman of the taxpayers union

It all looks dirty as hell. Don't stop what you're doing mate, we need to know this shit, regardless of which party is playing us. They're just as likely to infiltrate the Labour Party like they did the Lange govt with Roger Douglas.

It all looks dirty as hell. Don't stop what you're doing mate, we need to know this shit, regardless of which party is playing us. They're just as likely to infiltrate the Labour Party like they did the Lange govt with Roger Douglas.
Definitely, doesn't matter the political flavour, it's flat out corrupt.

Expect to see the same tactics applied to roll back climate change measures, big oil are in here deep as well, and fund right wing thinktanks, including the Atlas Network.

Expect to see the same tactics applied to roll back climate change measures, big oil are in here deep as well
Big Oil owns the climate movement mate. That’s why Greens are anti nuclear. Can’t have 100yr power plants pumping out basically unlimited power.

Why do you think renewable energy is disposable energy? Pv, turbines, batteries. All made from fossil fuels and all “consumables”.

In fact the tactics you worried about has already been used to convince nations to follow Germanys descent into energy madness.

Back