Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It’s a tough one & can be quite circular. Minimum wage increases cascade across the whole pay structure and have been a key driver of cost pressure for companies & subsequently price increases for goods & services. Rather than an attack on the poor I see it as part of a broader attempt to moderate inflation.
Back in the day many national awards had youth rates to encourage youth employment.
From time to time I have employed young guys to labour for me. If they can't work as fast as I can doing physical work, I warn them, then sack them. I'm a pensioner with a semi fucked body so no excuse.

Sorry, but I disagree. The increase in the minimum wage should be adjusted annually to whichever is greater out of the rise in the medium wage or the rate of inflation. That’s a far better way of ensuring things aren’t going backwards.

We’ve gotten things really wrong when, if the information on the radio this morning is accurate that a single woman with three children not working has a greater take home pay each week than a married nurse with three children.

Unless we’re going to keep squeezing more tax out of everyone, no country can afford to keep going like that.
So you broadly agree the current 2% hike is not enough.
That is bullshit that a single person on the sole parent benefit gets more than a nurse.

Typical nurse salary in NZ is earning: $74,000
Their take home pay is: $1,063.62 after tax (incl. 3% kiwisaver deduction).
With three children;
They are also entitled to the family tax credit: $197.00
They are also entitled to the in-work tax credit: $72.00
Total weekly after tax income is: $1,332.62

According to MSD: The maximum sole parent benefit is: $440.96 a week.
You can also get an accommodation supplement of: $160
Total weekly benefit payment: $600.96 (That would barely cover rent)

You are deluded if you think its right to have 34000 teenagers picking up the dole. You are condemming them to poverty and not reaching their potential. The reason we have so many young people in this situation has nothing to do with capitalism, it is because of lack of education, motivation and an easy alternative that will eventually destroy any prospects they may have.
Don't whine on about lack of jobs either. They are there for willing workers.
Nowhere did I say it's right morally, (it might be right politically but hey) to have 34000 teenagers on the dole - I'll take you at face value on those numbers, mainly because time is short.

You're attributing actions and words to me (there's that pattern again) that are incorrect.

Unless you have interviewed them and come to understand their circumstances I truly doubt you can know mate. Nor can you really know the reasons.

And when there are manufactured crises like for example increasing migration to allow 100000 people into the country unchallenged two years in a row, and the economic establishment admitting that unemployment is a key feature of neoliberalism your statement seems to tar everyone with the same brush.

Regions will have different characteristics, as will families, in fact so many complex issues that make up people's lives. That's why I'll push back against lazy bigotry any day.

Again, I've no doubt there are groups that fulfil your criteria. But not all, and certainly not now. And easy? Hey, try living on it.

Back in the day many national awards had youth rates to encourage youth employment.
From time to time I have employed young guys to labour for me. If they can't work as fast as I can doing physical work, I warn them, then sack them. I'm a pensioner with a semi fucked body so no excuse.
Think some employers have contributed to a degree though, if you value hard work and want to hold onto an employee, it shouldn’t take a system change or figure to reward that. At one stage years ago an employer would put in $5 for every dollar earned towards retirement in order to keep staff for long periods of their working careers. We’ve now got kiwisaver but the likes of that sort of contribution from an employer died years ago.

That is bullshit that a single person on the sole parent benefit gets more than a nurse.

With three children;

your figures aren't correct. In the case of the solo parent you haven't allowed for the children (up to $360) and it also depends on the area you live in for the accommodation supplement (up to $305) and you have assumed that the nurses partner isn't working and that they qualify for the tax credits - nurses starting salary is around $71,000

so it is quite plausible that a solo parent with 3 kids could be taking home a similar amount as a married nurse with 3 kids

Nowhere did I say it's right morally, (it might be right politically but hey) to have 34000 teenagers on the dole - I'll take you at face value on those numbers, mainly because time is short.

You're attributing actions and words to me (there's that pattern again) that are incorrect.

Unless you have interviewed them and come to understand their circumstances I truly doubt you can know mate. Nor can you really know the reasons.

And when there are manufactured crises like for example increasing migration to allow 100000 people into the country unchallenged two years in a row, and the economic establishment admitting that unemployment is a key feature of neoliberalism your statement seems to tar everyone with the same brush.

Regions will have different characteristics, as will families, in fact so many complex issues that make up people's lives. That's why I'll push back against lazy bigotry any day.

Again, I've no doubt there are groups that fulfil your criteria. But not all, and certainly not now. And easy? Hey, try living on it.

I live in Northland, one of the regions with the highest rate of unemployment in NZ. The supermarket, cafes, retail, timber mill to name some are constantly advertising for staff, go figure.

Think some employers have contributed to a degree though, if you value hard work and want to hold onto an employee, it shouldn’t take a system change or figure to reward that. At one stage years ago an employer would put in $5 for every dollar earned towards retirement in order to keep staff for long periods of their working careers. We’ve now got kiwisaver but the likes of that sort of contribution from an employer died years ago.
How can any employer afford to put $5 into a super fund for every dollar earned?

Health Ministry admits failings in handling contracts it awarded to firm with links to Peeni Henare
7 hours ago
RNZ
The Health Ministry has admitted failings in its handling of contracts awarded to the company Tātou, a consultancy with close ties to former cabinet minister Peeni Henare.

The concession is a significant shift from six months ago when the ministry told RNZ it was generally satisfied it had followed the necessary rules and procedures.

Inquiry into Mahuta family contracts finds flaws by Govt agencies, but no favouritism due to minister connection
A just-released review has found the ministry failed to raise any concerns about any conflicts of interest when it awarded seven contracts to Tātou between 2021 and 2022 when its chief executive was Henare's partner Skye Kimura.

There has been no suggestion Henare was involved in any of the contracting decisions.

The review by PWC was completed in September but only released to RNZ this week following repeated requests over the past three months.

It found Tātou did not raise any possible or perceived conflicts, even though there was a requirement to do so in six of the contracts it signed.

But it said the ministry also failed to do any proactive checks to seek out any potential association with the ministry or a minister.

Its information for staff on how to avoid conflicts was scattered and outdated, and the ministry should consider making it easier to find and follow, the review found.

An internal "situation report" has also been released - from the ministry's acting deputy director general for government and executive services Elisabeth Brunt to its director general Diana Sarfaiti.

Brunt said the ministry would hold an "integrity week" to better educate staff on conflicts of interest and integrity in general.

And she suggested spot checks of contracts to check proper processes were being followed.

Kimura left Tātou last year and the company has since been dissolved.

The Public Service Commission said it was satisfied with the steps the ministry had taken to address the matter.

Skye Kimura has been approached for comment.

How can any employer afford to put $5 into a super fund for every dollar earned?
Because they were often big employers like the railways and fletchers and the likes. We’re talking a number of years ago but shows how valuable staff were viewed at one stage. I’m sure most would realise this isn’t feasible in today’s world but an acknowledgment of how valued a staff member is goes a long way too. Immigration took a lot of the power from the employee.

So many areas of society are broken right now:

‘General practitioners (GPs) are in crisis mode and in the past month an unprecedented 155 clinics have issued a formal warning to the Government, saying they’re in danger of not being able to provide services.’

That’s pretty depressing…

your figures aren't correct. In the case of the solo parent you haven't allowed for the children (up to $360) and it also depends on the area you live in for the accommodation supplement (up to $305) and you have assumed that the nurses partner isn't working and that they qualify for the tax credits - nurses starting salary is around $71,000

so it is quite plausible that a solo parent with 3 kids could be taking home a similar amount as a married nurse with 3 kids
You mean the Family Tax Credit, which is a maximum of $360? Mike said a single non-working beneficiary. The family credit is only available to working people (incl. part time work and supplemented benefit)

Minimum hours of work​

To get the minimum family tax credit you must work a minimum number of hours for salary or wages each week.
  • A single parent must work at least 20 hours a week.
  • In a 2-parent family, 1 or both parents between them must work at least 30 hours a week.
In any week that you work less than the minimum required hours, you are not eligible.
The minimum number of hours cannot come from self-employed work. A self-employed person must still work the minimum number of hours in salary or wage work to qualify for the minimum family tax credit.

When you cannot receive the minimum family tax credit​

The minimum family tax credit is not available to families receiving the following:
  • an income-tested benefit
  • a parent's allowance
  • a children's pension from Veterans' Affairs New Zealand.

Last edited:
Broken clock and all that.. Laws is right in terms that both sides of politics are to blame.

View: https://x.com/theplatform_nz/status/1752859311255199941?s=46&t=N6rrXot3pBpvv2hdvhmStw

He's an entertaining orator with interesting takes. He brushes over the land confiscations, there had to be some restitution to the descendants of those who had their land stolen surely, and the treaty was the vehicle to deliver it. Maybe we could have used different avenues instead of giving legal precedence to the treaty and awakening this "Frankenstein" in the 70's, but it worked. Where we go from here will be contentious, and there's no hope of a sensible resolution anyway because we're all morons and fucken idiots according to Laws.

So many areas of society are broken right now:

‘General practitioners (GPs) are in crisis mode and in the past month an unprecedented 155 clinics have issued a formal warning to the Government, saying they’re in danger of not being able to provide services.’

That’s pretty depressi

Tbh. Many areas of our society have been rooted for many years involving many law makers of both persuasions.
My day we had dental nurses in schools drilling holes in kids teeth for practice 😬
We had ENT wards full of kids staying for weeks or months so nurses could apply ear drops that their parents were not interested enough to do themselves.
The biggest problem is parenting and the standards has slipped and still slipping as the years pass.
Not helped by the last 6 years but was only a continuation of previous governments.
Ditto education unemployment crime. Etc.

You mean the Family Tax Credit, which is a maximum of $360? Mike said a single non-working beneficiary. The family credit is only available to working people (incl. part time work and supplemented benefit)

Minimum hours of work​

To get the minimum family tax credit you must work a minimum number of hours for salary or wages each week.
  • A single parent must work at least 20 hours a week.
  • In a 2-parent family, 1 or both parents between them must work at least 30 hours a week.
In any week that you work less than the minimum required hours, you are not eligible.
The minimum number of hours cannot come from self-employed work. A self-employed person must still work the minimum number of hours in salary or wage work to qualify for the minimum family tax credit.

When you cannot receive the minimum family tax credit​

The minimum family tax credit is not available to families receiving the following:
  • an income-tested benefit
  • a parent's allowance
  • a children's pension from Veterans' Affairs New Zealand.
MSD have a simple questionnaire to fill in that gives some good guidance.

Based on a solo parent, not working with three children aged 5, 7 and 9 (no childcare or disabilities) the likely support available includes this

1706845895221.png

So, based on that and the other assistance they likely qualify for its plausible that a solo parent with 3 kids could be taking home a similar amount as a married nurse with 3 kids

Mate how many of those nations predominately use English? Norwegians dont even have native language tv. And thats in their ethnically homogenous home country.
Very true, the English language is England's greatest ever export and as you I am sure are aware, the language you speak shapes your brain and how you see the world.

Someone like you would also understand that having at least a spoken level of basics in day to day conversation in a second language is powerful for children's brains and a good way to teach people to think more broadly - expand their mental horizons - increase their level of intelligence, this is irrespective of whether they are fluent or not.

A good example of that is Pakeha on the Marae who have learned very basic but reasonably well pronounced words get adopted by the people for giving a shit.

With three children;

That $440 is the base rate for the sole parent, do they receive additional payments per child? I'll ask a solo mum I know to confirm this.

I live in Northland, one of the regions with the highest rate of unemployment in NZ. The supermarket, cafes, retail, timber mill to name some are constantly advertising for staff, go figure.
Are the Govt or other orgs doing anything to assist the youth up there? Imagine the poverty rate is high, if unemployment is high.

MSD have a simple questionnaire to fill in that gives some good guidance.

Based on a solo parent, not working with three children aged 5, 7 and 9 (no childcare or disabilities) the likely support available includes this

View attachment 5017

So, based on that and the other assistance they likely qualify for its plausible that a solo parent with 3 kids could be taking home a similar amount as a married nurse with 3 kids
You're not eligible if you don't work. You have to have worked 20 hours to be eligible.

You are deluded if you think its right to have 34000 teenagers picking up the dole. You are condemming them to poverty and not reaching their potential. The reason we have so many young people in this situation has nothing to do with capitalism, it is because of lack of education, motivation and an easy alternative that will eventually destroy any prospects they may have.
Don't whine on about lack of jobs either. They are there for willing workers.
Interested to see a breakdown of these 34K kids too, does that include fetal alcohol syndrome, autism, mental health, etc? Are they all lazy little shits and gang kids or problematic and virtually unemployable?

That $440 is the base rate for the sole parent, do they receive additional payments per child? I'll ask a solo mum I know to confirm this.
I'm just going by their own questionnaire.

In one regard I hope it's wrong because the idea of an unemployed solo parent with three kids taking home a similar amount to a married nurse with three kids doesn't sit very well with me. But equally I hope it's right because if what Rizzah Rizzah is saying is correct, then good luck surviving on that amount with three kids, whatever circumstances led them there.

Back