Kickoff In:

Accor Stadium

Saturday
Afternoon
17:00

Warriors

Team Lists

My take:

1. At the start of the year we built a game based on extending and enhancing what we did last year. We thought we had a shot at a prem doing that.
2. Last years model relied on SJ, Tohu, AFB etc. The replacements we have for these players are not like for like.
3. SJ and Tohu have been injured and struggling all year. Unfortunately it’s been chronic injuries and hard to tell whether and when they’ll come good. Maybe reduced training load will do it? Nope. Two weeks off? Reduced minutes?
4. If you give up on SJ and Tohu you are changing the game model mid season, and wasting two preseasons. This should be a last resort, and it was. unfortunately we have probably now hit that point.
5. TMM and CHT have been great but they are being overestimated by some here. They are not close to 2023 SJ and have done well off the back of middle dominance and an unpredictable change in our game model. That won’t last into the playoffs against better and better prepared teams.
6. The crop of young forwards are great, but it’s one thing to have a couple of good stints off the bench and another to do a job week in week out. If we had them playing big minutes from round 8 I’d bet some on here would be writing them off and asking us to recruit over them.
7. AFB has obviously had off field issues. That adds a layer to the above.

In short, I think that’s why we are where we are. Sure we could have given up on SJ and Tohu two months ago, but that decision would have been made on medical input we here don’t have, and I don’t think it will change where we end up on the table this year.
Agree with you on most of your points.
I do feel that SJ albeit with injuries is way off with his confidence which defines his game. Looks very gun shy this year.

Mongs on here (namely Frank white) arguing with fonzie like they have a gotcha🤦‍♂️ Seen Frank White arguing with people all over the forum. Glad we have this brain trust on board that clearly knows everything. What insight have you provided? Nothing at all, just a facebook style contrarian, that waits for people to put opinions out to argue with. Idiots like you are what got rid of Bruce, who posted unique and interesting comments.

Show us your bet slips since you're so knowledgeable. I'm sure you saw that Penrith win coming and put the house on it. Put your money where your mouth is.

And I say this as someone who is upset with our lineup this week. Tohu going out was the last gasp of hanging on to last year. Time to just send it Webby.

Also a lot of people clearly forgot quickly we lost like 6 games by less than 6 in the first half of the season, that's a fine enough margin we could have played largely the same but results driven commenters would be praising us if we got more conversions.

Youse got what youse wanted?
I thought he was very good coming off the bench as he seemed to play at a higher intensity rather than conserving himself for an 80 minute night. Without Tohu our middle depth will be tested. Just as well Ford has become a prop or we would have issues. Ale picked a bad week to get suspended or he could have played tomorrow.
What is our lock depth like now
1) Walker
2) Jazz
Then who?

Tohu being out for maybe the season is big news to discuss. Opens pathways for younger players as people have been calling for...will we see Sifakula soon?

IMG_8655.jpeg

Skip 🫡

I thought he was very good coming off the bench as he seemed to play at a higher intensity rather than conserving himself for an 80 minute night. Without Tohu our middle depth will be tested. Just as well Ford has become a prop or we would have issues. Ale picked a bad week to get suspended or he could have played tomorrow.
What is our lock depth like now
1) Walker
2) Jazz
Then who?

Tohu being out for maybe the season is big news to discuss. Opens pathways for younger players as people have been calling for...will we see Sifakula soon?
Middles aplenty in my opinion.

AFB. Barney. Ford. Bunty. Niukore. Jazz. Sifakula?

Back rowers

Capewell. Niukore. Laban. Halasima.

Lock.

Walker. Jazz. CHT if we're willing to tamper with our structures.

Middles aplenty in my opinion.

AFB. Barney. Ford. Bunty. Niukore. Jazz. Sifakula?

Back rowers

Capewell. Niukore. Laban. Halasima.

Lock.

Walker. Jazz. CHT if we're willing to tamper with our structures.
CHT was attrocious at lock. Reminded me of the time I was a wing in union and due to injuries I had to play flanker. I had no idea what to do so the number 8 peeled off the scrum and ran right past my flank 2 times in a row for tries.
I think Ale may need to be third in line lock. I think by memory Bunty has been a lock before at some point in his professional career.

My take:

1. At the start of the year we built a game based on extending and enhancing what we did last year. We thought we had a shot at a prem doing that.
2. Last years model relied on SJ, Tohu, AFB etc. The replacements we have for these players are not like for like.
3. SJ and Tohu have been injured and struggling all year. Unfortunately it’s been chronic injuries and hard to tell whether and when they’ll come good. Maybe reduced training load will do it? Nope. Two weeks off? Reduced minutes?
4. If you give up on SJ and Tohu you are changing the game model mid season, and wasting two preseasons. This should be a last resort, and it was. unfortunately we have probably now hit that point.
5. TMM and CHT have been great but they are being overestimated by some here. They are not close to 2023 SJ and have done well off the back of middle dominance and an unpredictable change in our game model. That won’t last into the playoffs against better and better prepared teams.
6. The crop of young forwards are great, but it’s one thing to have a couple of good stints off the bench and another to do a job week in week out. If we had them playing big minutes from round 8 I’d bet some on here would be writing them off and asking us to recruit over them.
7. AFB has obviously had off field issues. That adds a layer to the above.

In short, I think that’s why we are where we are. Sure we could have given up on SJ and Tohu two months ago, but that decision would have been made on medical input we here don’t have, and I don’t think it will change where we end up on the table this year.
Agree on all your points Fonzie and particularly point 5. Where last year SJ spread the ball wide with CNK chiming in and deft kicks or cutout passes to give Dalin a try in the corner.
This has not happened and now people are saying that RTS and CNK are not playing well. It was the way that SJ set the backline in motion that allowed the outside backs to shine.
I'm not taking anything away from TMM and CHT as they have got us through but working mainly as individuals.
The other major difference is that we were going ratshit last year with really bad Ref calls until we called out the refs and had a gifted run from that moment on.

Love Tohu, he's been the most consistent Warrior for the last 3-4 years and our season fell apart a few years ago when he got that ACL injury but the game pace has increased dramatically and he looks like he has been playing busted and overworked all year, hopefully he's given the proper time to get his body right.

Also has Webster been bringing players back a little too early? Our courier driver I chat with mentioned a while back about how most other teams will bring players back through 💙 Mighty NSW cup while the Warriors have been bringing players straight back into FG instead of allowing to get them match fit playing cup. As others have mentioned AW hasn't really been sticking with the next man up mentality, putting players in weird positions to try fit them into the team instead of just going with the next player up from cup, we've blooded a few this year but I think we could afford to give some of the young fellas a bit more game time in the NRL, I remember when Zyon Maiu’u debuted earlier in the season the energy of the team instantly increased.

I feel like we're the stronger team on paper but they have more x-factor. Should be a good game.

CHT was attrocious at lock. Reminded me of the time I was a wing in union and due to injuries I had to play flanker. I had no idea what to do so the number 8 peeled off the scrum and ran right past my flank 2 times in a row for tries.
I think Ale may need to be third in line lock. I think by memory Bunty has been a lock before at some point in his professional career.
Jazz was atrocious at "everything". But I'd risk CHT there if we absolutely had nobody else. They don't have to replicate being a ball player just lock the middle down with defence and carry it forward when we have the ball.

Back