Current Affairs Weather / climate change

Buy - don't rent.

I didn't buy ours. It was already here and is hooked up solely for the hot water.
Currently looking at installing another/several.

Does anyone have solar panels on their roof? Was thinking about getting some for our house seeing as the banks have interest free or 1% loans for it and the north facing part of the roof is pretty big and gets all day sun. Wasn't going to go for batteries, just solar panels and any extra electricity gets fed back in to the system.

Anyone have any advice, pitfalls, reccomendations?
Only install without batteries if you are home a lot during the day.

The big pitfall is people generate huge amounts of power during the day which goes to waste then use power in the evening and morning when they are not generating any.

Got to use it when the suns up. Don’t plan on covering cost feeding back into the system (they pay bugger all). Potential to use timers for dish washer, washing machines, driers, etc. Value if you have a power hungry pool/spa.

Does anyone have solar panels on their roof? Was thinking about getting some for our house seeing as the banks have interest free or 1% loans for it and the north facing part of the roof is pretty big and gets all day sun. Wasn't going to go for batteries, just solar panels and any extra electricity gets fed back in to the system.

Anyone have any advice, pitfalls, reccomendations?
I have 20 panels in one bank which I had installed 4 or 5 years ago. I also have two separate ones with a 300litre hot water cylinder connected, solar heart system that was already here when we arrived.
My power bills were $350- $400 a month before the 20 solar panels. Now, during summer about $120 a month, winter about $200.
Cost of panels was $16k which included new earth peg, upgraded switch board and new power point, all inspections and ready for a battery. The battery ( s) were too expensive, I needed about 12kw from memory to more or less have enough storage capacity. Was looking at $20k. Batteries have gone up in price since then which is opposite to what the industry was predicting.
I use powershop, so I buy power when its cheap, summer time, usually about a year in advance. I sell the excess back at 13c per unit.
Happy to answer any specific questions about the system.

Only install without batteries if you are home a lot during the day.

The big pitfall is people generate huge amounts of power during the day which goes to waste then use power in the evening and morning when they are not generating any.

Got to use it when the suns up. Don’t plan on covering cost feeding back into the system (they pay bugger all). Potential to use timers for dish washer, washing machines, driers, etc. Value if you have a power hungry pool/spa.
Spot on. You should do all your washing, dishwashing etc during the day, not both at once.

Filled the roof of our house in Brisbane with panels in 2019 while the subsidy was still good and power co buy back was ok.

Made a huge difference to the powerbill which ended up pretty neutral. Made running the pool and the A/c in summer a lot easier on the wallet.

Would be interesting to see what would happen here under a decent subsidy and buy back

The poms came up with a climate model that may be the first model that can be used to predict weather (as short a prediction as a six hour forecast) as well as being a climate change tool (one hundred year forecasting).

This has not had any real news coverage, but in simple terms the model is the only one in the world that (potentially) removes a lot of the bs gas lighting about not having a model that can make sense of say a year like 2023 being the hottest on record (popular denial arguments say that extreme weather years could still be outliers and that long term climate models cannot use the example of just a single year of climate variation).

So what does the Climate model that claims it can predict short term and long term weather with some accuracy say?

We are probably all rooted.

Total economic collapse according to Sabines video due to an up to five degree change in climate sensitivity.

Sabines strongest recommendation is Nuclear power.

View: https://youtu.be/4S9sDyooxf4?si=HgZthPqWbt4VSdS_

Last edited:
I can’t believe NZ last years temperature was above average.

Having a business reliant on the weather the whole of last summer and into winter was wet, with below average sunshine with floods everywhere.

If last summer year was supposed to be hot, this year however is going to blow records away. It’s been a cracker!

Long may this warming last!

I have a Ecoflow Delta Pro 3 power station with an extra Delta pro 2 battery. I'm portable with my power stations & 6 panels. I can power my aircon , fridge & Internet for days when there is a power outage. Or keep it on as long as my panels are setup properly. I thought about a permanent solar system connected to my house. But, The way the world is. If something pops off, My family & i are ready to leave & go offgrid. Swapped my gas guzzler( 2018 Nissan Patrol) for a 19" MDC off road caravan as i have a Toyota Hilux which is my work truck that can pull it & a shitload cheaper on petrol.

I guess, I may be turning into a softcore prepper lol. Things are definitely getting hotter(Perth, Australia) each year
Screenshot_20240201_114642_Chrome.jpg

Our power went out an hour ago. Expected, Hotter days everyone's aircon is on blast.
Feel sorry for our children. It's only going to get worse.

The poms came up with a climate model that may be the first model that can be used to predict weather (as short a prediction as a six hour forecast) as well as being a climate change tool (one hundred year forecasting).

This has not had any real news coverage, but in simple terms the model is the only one in the world that (potentially) removes a lot of the bs gas lighting about not having a model that can make sense of say a year like 2023 being the hottest on record (popular denial arguments say that extreme weather years could still be outliers and that long term climate models cannot use the example of just a single year of climate variation).

So what does the Climate model that claims it can predict short term and long term weather with some accuracy say?

We are probably all rooted.

Total economic collapse according to Sabines video due to an up to five degree change in climate sensitivity.

Sabines strongest recommendation is Nuclear power.

View: https://youtu.be/4S9sDyooxf4?si=HgZthPqWbt4VSdS_

Sabine is such an excellent content creator, really good scientific information digestible for laypeople.

Sabine is such an excellent content creator, really good scientific information digestible for laypeople.
As the British would say - she has the common touch.

For a German Physicist she has a great sense of humor and Irony.

And as you say she is brilliant at dumbing down PHD level theoretical big ideas from the heavy weights in modern Physics and cosmology.

I do like the waffling esoteric types like Brian Greene or sensationalists like Michio Kaku, and or the Dulcet tones of my favorite pom Brian Cox.

But where Sabine excels is in using her genius to take on science outside her wheel house like a pundit, a punter, a fan.....and BOOM we get these pragmatic brilliant videos that know the right questions to ask, the fears of us plebs and a break down by someone who sees a problem like we do, but has the brain power to rip the shit out of it.

I can’t believe NZ last years temperature was above average.

Having a business reliant on the weather the whole of last summer and into winter was wet, with below average sunshine with floods everywhere.

If last summer year was supposed to be hot, this year however is going to blow records away. It’s been a cracker!

Long may this warming last!
Looking forward to the day you realize that it does not matter what you believe.

That is for you, that is the space a man limits himself to, his beliefs, a box a man puts around himself in the face of fact -i call it our Dunning Kruger urges and our right to choose to be stupid.

The fact that you cannot reconcile record flooding with climate science just shows you do not know what the fuck you are talking about.

Äll goods bro, the ill informed are free to post their freedoms of speech, any dribble is ok interweb age of ópinions and emojis.

Continue I say....keep talking about climate extremes like flooding as evidence of no global warming, people like me need the lols.

As for your tard post about wanting the warming, yeah ok...that is just trolling. We are just two guys right, thousands and thousands of phd's are worried about the warming, irrespective of what we think....really fkn brainy people think an extinction level event is a threat to our species and I know even monkeys like you are not cool with dying.

Last edited:
really fkn brainy people think an extinction level event is a threat to our species and I know even monkeys like you are not cool with dying.
I believe climate change is real but we will adapt (probably at great cost) and roll with the changes. I definitely don’t fear it, dealing with change is what separates humans from the chimps.

I’m confident human life will be better in 100 years than today, despite climate challenges.

I’m more worried about AI getting us to be honest.

I believe climate change is real but we will adapt (probably at great cost) and roll with the changes. I definitely don’t fear it, dealing with change is what separates humans from the chimps.

I’m confident human life will be better in 100 years than today, despite climate challenges.

I’m more worried about AI getting us to be honest.

This is a popular miss conception that is already disproved.

We already have the awareness and the options to use our scientific technological knowledge today to head off global warming.

People cannot agree on the fundamentals because they profit from the status quo. Which is why we are fucked.

Same issues as with Covid, getting a consensus is nigh on impossible.

This is a popular miss conception that is already disproved.

We already have the awareness and the options to use our scientific technological knowledge today to head off global warming.

People cannot agree on the fundamentals because they profit from the status quo. Which is why we are fucked.

Same issues as with Covid, getting a consensus is nigh on impossible.
I don’t believe climate change has really forced our hand yet.

Humans are motivated by the short term. When the impacts start to be felt properly we will react and deal with it.

I don’t think any impacts have been game changers so far. We still have food, land and infrastructure and can relatively easily handle rebuilding after storms and droughts.

It’s going to get worse but I have faith. I back humanity, democracy, capitalism and civilisation to adapt.

Humans are motivated by the short term. When the impacts start to be felt properly we will react and deal with it.

I don’t think any impacts have been game changers so far. We still have food, land and infrastructure and can relatively easily handle rebuilding after storms and droughts.

It’s going to get worse but I have faith. I back humanity, democracy, capitalism and civilisation to adapt.
Where are you coming from this morning? Have you actually seen any of the impacts around the world? And New Zealand last year?

Step away from the NZME network.

Your arguments are based on belief and are illogical.

The things you say we have to insulate us are the things that are under threat.

India will be interesting, most populated country, Nukes, a billion people potentially threatened with their country becoming unlivable.

I guess you can always adapt and learn Hindi.

Where are you coming from this morning? Have you actually seen any of the impacts around the world? And New Zealand last year?

Step away from the NZME network.
Yes we’ve been impacted. I don’t think they are game changers yet.

This will play out slowly where our economic muscle will keep ahead of it for a long time. Capitalism will direct resources where it’s most effectively needed.

I do think there will be a tipping point in 20-50 years in the future where the entire planet decided it’s a real threat to democracy and only then in almost a war type effort the world will unite and react.

Will it be too late? Only to the effect that our normal won’t be the future normal.

On a very small scale, one thing I have noticed in my everyday existence is the introduction of pests. We maintain a small domestic orchard, have done for 11 years. When we started, we just pruned, the trees fruited and we had plenty. Then we got codling moth, which we fought until we decided to remove the apple and pear trees because it was beating us and the effort wasn't worth it.
Then we got guava moth, which has attacked the plums and citrus and feigoas. That parasite was not here, nor was myrtle rust.
At the same time we have seen climatic conditions change, not the winterless north anymore. Huge variance in sea temperatures from year to year ( I'm a fisherman so I note water temps ). Very hard to predict what is happening based on previous years.
For commercial growers, they must use ever increasing pesticides and herbicides to keep above the new problems and we will ingest some of those.

Yes we’ve been impacted. I don’t think they are game changers yet.

This will play out slowly where our economic muscle will keep ahead of it for a long time. Capitalism will direct resources where it’s most effectively needed.

I do think there will be a tipping point in 20-50 years in the future where the entire planet decided it’s a real threat to democracy and only then in almost a war type effort the world will unite and react.

Will it be too late? Only to the effect that our normal won’t be the future normal.
Ah the markets will provide argument.

Well, Wiz, we as living proof of 40 years of neoliberalism in this country, and the billionaires amassing huge fortunes will attest, the markets provide for the wealthy and everyone else can go fck themselves.

We're past a climate tipping point right now.

On a very small scale, one thing I have noticed in my everyday existence is the introduction of pests. We maintain a small domestic orchard, have done for 11 years. When we started, we just pruned, the trees fruited and we had plenty. Then we got codling moth, which we fought until we decided to remove the apple and pear trees because it was beating us and the effort wasn't worth it.
Then we got guava moth, which has attacked the plums and citrus and feigoas. That parasite was not here, nor was myrtle rust.
At the same time we have seen climatic conditions change, not the winterless north anymore. Huge variance in sea temperatures from year to year ( I'm a fisherman so I note water temps ). Very hard to predict what is happening based on previous years.
For commercial growers, they must use ever increasing pesticides and herbicides to keep above the new problems and we will ingest some of those.
Exactly Dean - the effects of even a small change in climate and ecosystems are horrendous

Back