Current Affairs Weather / climate change

Man made accelerated climate change is real. That 100 years of scientifically measured data and scientific consensus tells us so.

End of story. Everything else is bullshit.

And we will see it accelerate even further, as vested interests and corporate greed will prevent any meaningful action from being taken.
I’m a bit ambivalent about climate change and feel we will just adapt.

But I think it’s universal to care about the environment. Clean drinking water, unpolluted streams, unpolluted air, etc

I think a big contributing factors that seem to be ignored is the quantity of concrete/ hard surfacing areas covering the planet instead of trees. It’s common knowledge cities are a degree or so warmer than rural areas.

This massive increase in hard surfacing that absorbs and retains heat combined with deforestation seems to have coincided with temperature rises.

But I think it’s universal to care about the environment. Clean drinking water, unpolluted streams, unpolluted air, etc

I think a big contributing factors that seem to be ignored is the quantity of concrete/ hard surfacing areas covering the planet instead of trees. It’s common knowledge cities are a degree or so warmer than rural areas.

This massive increase in hard surfacing that absorbs and retains heat combined with deforestation seems to have coincided with temperature rises.
Huge effects. So much less soakage areas are definitely the biggest problem imo

100% on the last 3 sentences :)

Man made accelerated climate change is real. That 100 years of scientifically measured data and scientific consensus tells us so.

End of story. Everything else is bullshit.

And we will see it accelerate even further, as vested interests and corporate greed will prevent any meaningful action from being taken.
Haha, so the world has only been around for 100 years. Mate, there are no long term statistics for a planet that has been around for a billion or so years. Only rhetoric and fear mongering statistics.

For example, go back to 1936 and what was happening in the US mid west. End of days. We have stats here in NZ going back over 100 years to prove that Cyclone Gabrielle etc were happening even back then.

The only major difference here is the fact that a whole heap of dumb shit people built on flood plains. Anyone with an IQ over 32 knows that water will always take the path of least resistance. The water has always been there. The resistance is man made.

In my lifetime alone, there should be no islands still afloat in the Pacific. And we should all be igniting everytime we walk outside.
There is no pattern. Unless you can give me millenia data otherwise that proves our weather events are part of the CO2 global warming conspiracy, I will say bullshit.

And before you start, please don't quote anything to do with the UN IPCC who have the credibility of our Ex PM

There are always anomalies with weather, even here. I'll drag out some stats for our weather here in the last 100 years and in particular cyclonic/flooding type events. Watch this space. You will be surprised.

This is my view

Haha, so the world has only been around for 100 years. Mate, there are no long term statistics for a planet that has been around for a billion or so years. Only rhetoric and fear mongering statistics.

For example, go back to 1936 and what was happening in the US mid west. End of days. We have stats here in NZ going back over 100 years to prove that Cyclone Gabrielle etc were happening even back then.

The only major difference here is the fact that a whole heap of dumb shit people built on flood plains. Anyone with an IQ over 32 knows that water will always take the path of least resistance. The water has always been there. The resistance is man made.

In my lifetime alone, there should be no islands still afloat in the Pacific. And we should all be igniting everytime we walk outside.
There is no pattern. Unless you can give me millenia data otherwise that proves our weather events are part of the CO2 global warming conspiracy, I will say bullshit.

And before you start, please don't quote anything to do with the UN IPCC who have the credibility of our Ex PM

There are always anomalies with weather, even here. I'll drag out some stats for our weather here in the last 100 years and in particular cyclonic/flooding type events. Watch this space. You will be surprised.
What I find is interesting is looking at information not associated with climate change and seeing if that shows what is happening in terms of information which isn’t speculated on or adopted to suit one’s position. It’s probably the “purest” source of information especially when it’s been established not with the climate in mind but still can be looked at to see if things have changed.

One of the best examples, is the Auckland Mean Sea Level established in 1946 by a group of students from Auckland university. It’s used by surveyors as the starting point or datum for all the levels throughout the Auckland region for establishing the height of buildings, infrastructure (including the heights of manholes) above the MSL.

How it was established was that a mark was recorded on part of a wharf and every hour, the distance from that mark to the water level was read. Eventually, there was enough data to add another point called the Medium Sea Level. Since that time, surveyors and civil engineers have used the MSL as 0.00 height and their survey levels relate too how high fixed points and ground contours are above it. If you get a survey done establishing the ground contours, building levels and manholes, and it shows the Finished Floor Level of your house is 72.45 that means your house is 72.45m above the MSL established back in 1946.

Since the 1980’s, various electronic measuring devices have been used to measure the current MSL and to compare that make to the ne established in 1946.

While it wasn’t established as a way to study the climate, it can be used to see measure what has occurred since 1946.

Auckland’s mean sea level, measured at the wharf, has risen over 150mm since it was first established in 1946.

Where I find myself at odds with the extremists on climate change, is that although it’s a fact that the climate is changing, there isn’t anywhere that I can see which shows what the “ultimate” climate should be. Are we moving towards that….. or away from it? Is the whether events we’re experiencing now really that more extreme or have we altered the landscape so much through things like extensive farming, paving, roading etc that the impact of weather events is more extreme? Did the amount of moisture put into the air after the Tongan eruption cause more rain events and as things return to “normal”, will we see a reduction in the impact of rain events?

Last edited:
What I find is interesting is looking at information not associated with climate change and seeing if that shows what is happening in terms of information which isn’t speculated on or adopted to suit one’s position. It’s probably the “purest” source of information especially when it’s been established not with the climate in mind but still can be looked at to see if things have changed.

One of the best examples, is the Auckland Mean Sea Level established in 1946 by a group of students from Auckland university. It’s used by surveyors as the starting point or datum for all the levels throughout the Auckland region for establishing the height of buildings, infrastructure (including the heights of manholes) above the MSL.

How it was established was that a mark was recorded on part of a wharf and every hour, the distance from that mark to the water level was read. Eventually, there was enough data to add another point called the Medium Sea Level. Since that time, surveyors and civil engineers have used the MSL as 0.00 height and their survey levels relate too how high fixed points and ground contours are above it. If you get a survey done establishing the ground contours, building levels and manholes, and it shows the Finished Floor Level of your house is 72.45 that means your house is 72.45m above the MSL established back in 1946.

Since the 1980’s, various electronic measuring devices have been used to measure the current MSL and to compare that make to the ne established in 1946.

While it wasn’t established as a way to study the climate, it can be used to see measure what has occurred since 1946.

Auckland’s mean sea level, measured at the wharf, has risen over 150mm since it was first established in 1946.

Where I find myself at odds with the extremists on climate change, is that although it’s a fact that the climate is changing, there isn’t anywhere that I can see which shows what the “ultimate” climate should be. Are we moving towards that….. or away from it? Is the whether events we’re experiencing now really that more extreme or have we altered the landscape so much through things like extensive farming, paving, roadimg etc that the impact of weather events is more extreme? Did the amount of moisture put into the air after the Tongan eruption cause more rain events and as things return to “normal”,will we see a reduction in the impact of rain events?
Really good approach and how I look at it.

There’s so much we don’t understand. Looks at the Pacific islands that sea level rising was meant to wipe out? Turns out some are sinking but others are rising.

Really good approach and how I look at it.

There’s so much we don’t understand. Looks at the Pacific islands that sea level rising was meant to wipe out? Turns out some are sinking but others are rising.
What's interesting is that while MSL are supposed to be set at a "permanent" height, the Christchurch earthquake moved the tectonic plates in Lyttleton Harbour and the MSL point on their wharf rose. Someone studying just that data in isolation would come to the conclusion that the sea is falling, not rising.

So it's risen over 15cm as of recent measurements, does that mean ground water tables near sea level will be that much higher too? Doesn't bode well for low-lying drainage, whatever the cause.

Where I find myself at odds with the extremists on climate change, is that although it’s a fact that the climate is changing, there isn’t anywhere that I can see which shows what the “ultimate” climate should be. Are we moving towards that….. or away from it? Is the whether events we’re experiencing now really that more extreme or have we altered the landscape so much through things like extensive farming, paving, roading etc that the impact of weather events is more extreme? Did the amount of moisture put into the air after the Tongan eruption cause more rain events and as things return to “normal”, will we see a reduction in the impact of rain events?
Sea levels have been rising for the last 10000 years, for at least 9600 of those years the rate of sea level rise was at and order of magnitude greater than now. There are several major geological factors contributing to that. Anybody who tells you sea level is rising due carbon dioxide is a moron.

Sea levels have been rising for the last 10000 years, for at least 9600 of those years the rate of sea level rise was at and order of magnitude greater than now. There are several major geological factors contributing to that. Anybody who tells you sea level is rising due carbon dioxide is a moron.
Anyone who posts bullshit like this qualifies too

I wouldn't know where to start with this - so much stupidity, ignorance and lack of understanding of the subject matter in a single post.

Back