General Warriors Harold Matthews 2024

Nice to see a young halfback in our system that looks good.
Saved their season. They did not look good before he was brought over. They clicked as soon as he started playing. Needs to put weight on badly, but he definitely looks a better prospect than Jesse Soric/Maui Winatana-Patalesio in SG ball.

Born 2006 according to warriors website, which would make him too old for this level?

Defence wins championships.

That Grand final was won during the phase that saw the Warriors Reffed into a crisis inside their Red Zone.

Both teams were threatening in attack, but it was the defence of that set the Warriors above Wests.

Those side line tackles to turn over possession were the icing on the cake.

The professionalism of the young lads puts the other sides in our development pathways on notice. Hell they have put the NRL side on notice.

Credit to the coaching, at seasons start we looked terribly out matched by the more drilled and experienced Australian sides. Wonderful coaching to build this team from that rough beginning.

Real shame this comp isn't played alongside the NRL, how good would it be if they were playing on GF day?

Also a shame that the game was poorly advertised, I missed it entirely for that reason, nice to see the comments in the thread after going back through them and reading.

Hopefully these boys grow bigger, taller, stronger, and faster.

That Grand final was won during the phase that saw the Warriors Reffed into a crisis inside their Red Zone.

Both teams were threatening in attack, but it was the defence of that set the Warriors above Wests.

The professionalism of the young lads puts the other sides in our development pathways on notice. Hell they have put the NRL side on notice.

Credit to the coaching, at seasons start we looked terribly out matched by the more drilled and experienced Australian sides. Wonderful coaching to build this team from that rough beginning.

Real shame this comp isn't played alongside the NRL, how good would it be if they were playing on GF day?

Also a shame that the game was poorly advertised, I missed it entirely for that reason, nice to see the comments in the thread after going back through them and reading.

Feel like the club almost announced their arrival into what is hopefully a golden era this weekend to win this comp, flegg win against the panthers and nsw cup draw with panthers to which it sounds like they should have won. Big things tipped for the first grade side to, which I think is progressing closer to a full 80 minute performance. It’s been a tough start to the season and I’d rather be ironing out these issues at this side of the season rather than later, just need to be picking up wins in progression towards our peak performances

Thanks to @Cces best 6 bucks I've spent.
Congratulations 🎊 to our juniors brilliant performance.
Some almost storm like slowing the ruck and play of tha ball well done.
I paid my 6 bucks too but this morning have had my credit card blocked for fraudulent activity, don't know if related to this transaction.

Past Warriors age grade side have just been a lot bigger/stronger (i.e. bigger/stronger forward pack and bigger/stronger outside backs)
This team actually has a gun spine that has outplayed teams. The hooker and captain Kawynne Patterson got named by TheShortBall instagram page as the third best player in the entire comp this year. The halfback Jack Thompson has been unbelievable as mentioned above. The fullback Joseph Ratcliffe has great instincts, speed and work-rate, does remind me a lot of CNK (but with Reece Walsh hair). The five eighth Tyson Hansen has great running game and passing (he'll probably be captain next year as he's eligible again next year).

Past Warriors age grade side have just been a lot bigger/stronger (i.e. bigger/stronger forward pack and bigger/stronger outside backs)
This team actually has a gun spine that has outplayed teams. The hooker and captain Kawynne Patterson got named by TheShortBall instagram page as the third best player in the entire comp this year. The halfback Jack Thompson has been unbelievable as mentioned above. The fullback Joseph Ratcliffe has great instincts, speed and work-rate, does remind me a lot of CNK (but with Reece Walsh hair). The five eighth Tyson Hansen has great running game and passing (he'll probably be captain next year as he's eligible again next year).
From the highlights there are a number things that stand out as compared to the Ackland type school for bigger is better Junior Warriors.

The left edge dominance impressed me. I don't think there has been a Warriors side in any grade that was strong on its left defence and attack. The way those boys used the side line as a defender is usually only seen elite teams from star players.

They did it twice, the second time with a bench player involved, that is no fluke, that is mature football smart pedigree....and effective coaching.

It was clear the spine had some talent, but most pleasing for me to see them backing up in support on the break.

The biggest problem with our past sides at that level is individualism and our over reliance on it.

The footy IQ in these boys is a lot higher than we have seen before in very young players.

They were playing Australian brand rugby league.

My comment about them growing bigger one hopes is mostly around the reality that if they stay small, that this will limit the number of them that can be run in an NRL team, despite talent.

From the highlights there are a number things that stand out as compared to the Ackland type school for bigger is better Junior Warriors.

The left edge dominance impressed me. I don't think there has been a Warriors side in any grade that was strong on its left defence and attack. The way those boys used the side line as a defender is usually only seen elite teams from star players.

They did it twice, the second time with a bench player involved, that is no fluke, that is mature football smart pedigree....and effective coaching.

It was clear the spine had some talent, but most pleasing for me to see them backing up in support on the break.

The biggest problem with our past sides at that level is individualism and our over reliance on it.

The footy IQ in these boys is a lot higher than we have seen before in very young players.

They were playing Australian brand rugby league.

My comment about them growing bigger one hopes is mostly around the reality that if they stay small, that this will limit the number of them that can be run in an NRL team, despite talent.
That left edge performed well in the finals especially that Eels game, but the right edge has more talent and was better throughout the whole season, Siale Pahulu (who didn’t feature in the finals much, maybe blocked by St Kents??) might be our best outside back prospect at the moment. Him and Kairus Booth were a destructive combo.

Will be slowly going through the Harold Matthews team and making profiles for all of them starting with the Grand Final team. Thankfully the club have given us a bit of info on each player. If you know anything please comment in the player discussion thread Im going to make on them. Cheers...

HMC Grand Final: Introducing the players​

Richard Becht & photosport.nz
Fri 26 Apr 2024, 07:28 pm
Harold Matthews team 2024  scale1.png

They come from as far afield as Balcutha in the deep south, Christchurch, Palmerston North, Rotorua, Hamilton, Huntly, Newcastle in Australia and naturally Auckland, all brought together with rugby league in common.

These are the young players chasing the NRL dream, footballers who have the chance of achieving grand final glory when they line up for the One New Zealand Warriors against the Western Suburbs Magpies in the Harold Matthews Cup under-17 grand final at CommBank in Sydney on Saturday.

This is the first season the Warriors have had five teams in their stable stepping through under-17, under-19, under-21 and reserve grade levels to the NRL.
Never before has the club had a Harold Matthews side and now it’s in the grand final.

HAROLD MATTHEWS CUP​

Grand Final Squad​

Fullback
Joseph Ratcliffe
Born, May 24, 2007
Palmerston North Boys’ High School, Palmerston North
Wing
Ezekiel Davidson Faaiuaso
Born: September 29, 2007
St Paul’s College, Auckland
Centre
Jeremiah Lemana
Born: July 31, 2008
Kelston Boys’ High School, Auckland
Centre
Turama Paranihi
Born: January 15, 2007
Nga Taiatea Wharekura, Hamilton
Wing
Kairus Booth
Born: January 20, 2007
South Otago High School, Balclutha
Standoff
Tyson Hansen
Born: May 5, 2008
Rotorua Boys’ High School, Rotorua
Halfback
Jack Thompson
Born: January 6, 2006
All Saints College, Maitland, NSW
Prop
Hudsyn Frost
Born: September 18, 2007
De La Salle College, Auckland
Hooker
Kaawyn Patterson (c)
Born: April 25, 2007
Westlake Boys’ High School, Auckland
Prop
Gordon Afoa
Born: May 24, 2007
St Paul’s College, Auckland
Second row
Dezman Laban
Born: June 29, 2007
St Bernard’s College, Wellington & Kelston Boys’ High School, Auckland
Second row
Militoni Sikuvea
Born: June 18, 2007
St Peter’s College, Auckland
Loose forward
Lennox Tuiloma
Born: July 6, 2007
St Thomas of Canterbury College, Christchurch
Interchange
Boston Krone (c)
Born: March 4, 2007
Auckland Grammar School, Auckland
Romana Whitiora
Born: August 18, 2007
Te Wharekura o Rakaumanga, Huntly & St Paul’s College, Aucklan
Houma Fotu
Born: February 22, 2007
Wesley College, Pukekohe
Isaiah Savea
Born: September 15, 2007
St Thomas of Canterbury College, Christchurch
Deshontayne Te Wao
Born: January 21, 2007
Botany Downs Secondary College, Auckland
Timau Utiaro
Born: March 28, 2007
St John’s College, Hamilton
Siale Pahulu
Born: July 23, 2007
Saint Kentigern College, Auckland

Road to the Grand Final​

v Parramatta | Lost 6-34
v Roosters | Lost 18-28
v South Sydney | Won 22-17
v Balmain | Won 16-4
v Illawarra | Won 26-16
v Canberra | Won 26-10
v Cronulla Sutherland | Lost 10-40
v St George | Won 46-10
Finals:
V Parramatta | Won 30-20
V Canterbury Bankstown | Won 12-10

That left edge performed well in the finals especially that Eels game, but the right edge has more talent and was better throughout the whole season, Siale Pahulu (who didn’t feature in the finals much, maybe blocked by St Kents??) might be our best outside back prospect at the moment. Him and Kairus Booth were a destructive combo.

I’m surprised some of these rugby elite schools allow their kids to play actually. Assumed it needed their permission, although timing doesn’t conflict with them playing first XV so assume they had no issue with it?

Back