Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
Cam George responded indirectly to Kent on the radio earlier & summed it up well.
When JFH decided he wanted to move to a city that he already knew, with only one team to choose from, and the fact he's been coached by Webster & Jones before there ain't much to discuss so you can seal a deal very quickly
It (moving to a city with only one club) works a lot better when the player initiates it. I remember Timana Tahu's wife decided she's wanted to move back to Newcastle. I thought at the time it wasn't a great idea, moving to a city with less employment options for your husband who only has a few years left earning the money that is sustaining your lifestyle.

Funnily enough he ended up moving to the Knights.

There are examples that look worse than this JFH example in terms of breaking contracts and where the Integrity Unit could look at. This one is a case of a long-serving player asking his club if he can move for family reasons and working with his current club.

He doesn't speak up when we release Australian players on compassionate grounds.

First point - the only person that has mentioned the $675k x 4 figure is a listener texting in to Denan Kemps show.
The delusion to grasp to that figure by a few on here is absolutely nutty for something not very credible.

Second point - look at the evidence pointing would have the worst manager of all time to accept that deal when 1. representing the golden boot, kiwis captain, 3 x champ
2. Knowing what other elite props get paid (Tino, Hass, AFB)
3. Knowing the salary cap hole left by the Warriors & offers thrown out to other lesser players.
4. Knowing the salary cap is set to rise each year over the next 5 years
5. Knowing how many Warriors players are contract beyond 2027
The value of props must have tanked in the last 24hours for that figure to be true.
I don't believe that is anywhere near the figure he signed for.

First point - the only person that has mentioned the $675k x 4 figure is a listener texting in to Denan Kemps show.
The delusion to grasp to that figure by a few on here is absolutely nutty for something not very credible.

Second point - look at the evidence pointing would have the worst manager of all time to accept that deal when 1. representing the golden boot, kiwis captain, 3 x champ
2. Knowing what other elite props get paid (Tino, Hass, AFB)
3. Knowing the salary cap hole left by the Warriors & offers thrown out to other lesser players.
4. Knowing the salary cap is set to rise each year over the next 5 years
5. Knowing how many Warriors players are contract beyond 2027

It's incredible we've signed - but $675k because somebody text the Kemp show. Cringe.

Third point we made the bet and you were wrong. Donate it to the site.

Agree fully mate. Deffo the voice of reason.

Even if we had signed BHU on 700k, if JFH came to us saying he wanted in, we would clear the decks for this guy. If Penny asked for Laban and Halasima, we'd probably have taken it.
The current kiwi captain, golden boot winner, all of those accolades - he would be absolutely key recruitment wise and to build the club around for the new few years.

It's a nice thought that we snagged him on unders but that's most likely fabricated.

Let's just celebrate the fact that he's with us now. He's a million dollar prop, at worst we paid the correct price for him. At best, we got a fucking steal. Both are huge wins for us

It (moving to a city with only one club) works a lot better when the player initiates it. I remember Timana Tahu's wife decided she's wanted to move back to Newcastle. I thought at the time it wasn't a great idea, moving to a city with less employment options for your husband who only has a few years left earning the money that is sustaining your lifestyle.

Funnily enough he ended up moving to the Knights.

There are examples that look worse than this JFH example in terms of breaking contracts and where the Integrity Unit could look at. This one is a case of a long-serving player asking his club if he can move for family reasons and working with his current club.

He doesn't speak up when we release Australian players on compassionate grounds.

Seeing these Aussie big mouths crying when the Warriors sign someone good makes it all the more enjoyable from my Arm Chair world dominion.

When players like RTS and this guy sign (all too rarely) some Aussie ego's take a hit "why would you leave Australia to go there?" The reason for this sentiment is that international rivalry is at the core of it.

In Kent's deep subconscious is Australian exceptionalism, they're the Yanks of the South Pacific in that regard. No one gives up on the Australian dream in their internal narrative - especially not foreigners who have enjoyed the spoils of Aussies tit at the highest levels.

Kent seems to be taking it personally, like he thinks this is a case of a dog that has bit the hand that fed it.

The same thing happened with Roger. But this probably hurts more, because at least with Roger they could slag him off as a fool who had just ruined his career by leaving the Roosters for the great unwashed losers over the ditch....this time they can't even use that narrative.

The joke of it all is....if Kent was truly a man of conviction about signings, he would need his own series reporting on the Roosters alone...

LOVE the JFH news of course in it's own right.... legend.

Also love the 2 bonus points:
>Under NRL rules next 2 years he can't be paid more than he was on @ Penrith right?
>How much more attractive are we now for other potential recruits / re-signs??

Lock up Mitch. Recycle SJ for another year.... loving it.

Suddenly no longer looking like this is an all or nothing year... feels like we're building a base to compete with the likes of Penrith, Roosters, Broncos and Melbourne in the long run.

Hope the NRL doesn't screw us up by adding another NZ team TBH
I disagree - this only goes to show that more kiwis will return to their home shores after a spell in the wilderness. The Warriors can't have a mortgage on kiwi talent. The salary cap was introduced for the purpose of evening up the teams so this signing may encourage the NRL to introduce a second NZ team.

So in my morning after phase of post nut clarity, I'm worried that we've just spent all of out AFB money and we still need to provide big upgrades to Egan and the young guns coming through. Mostly I hope this singing doesn't come at the cost of Egan
Looks like we made money on the AFB/JFH situation if the 675k annual figure for JFH is to be believed. We've made no further signing, so if anything I should think our ability to upgrade Egan would have improved.

I know this is super selfish but I don't want another new zealand team for players who come back to go to! 😂
I don't believe there should be any discussion of a second NZ NRL team until the wahs win the premiership. Let the 18th team be another aussie team. A second NZ team would just undermine all the goodwill we've established with the up the wahs movement NZ needs to prove that we can build a powerhouse NRL club before we can entertain the possibility of a second nrl team in my view.

I don't believe there should be any discussion of a second NZ NRL team until the wahs win the premiership. Let the 18th team be another aussie team. A second NZ team would just undermine all the goodwill we've established with the up the wahs movement NZ needs to prove that we can build a powerhouse NRL club before we can entertain the possibility of a second nrl team in my view.
Just because the Warriors had decades of mismanagement and couldn't get their shit together until recently, doesn't mean that a second NZ side would be the same. The country doesn't need to prove anything, these are franchises who are responsible for making their own decisions which influence whether they're successful or not.

Jazz would think he’s better than that and he’s probably right too, suits the modern game as forwards get smaller and more mobile. Would just be staying for family etc, love Jazz but someone will be going if they want to keep a path open for the young guys.

His long term injuries this season and last may indicate that it is time to hang up the boots. I am sure the Warriors would have a position for him at the club (maybe a coaching role with the new women's team next year)

$2.7M over 4 years could mean something like $800K for 2 years and $600K then $500K when he's 31 and 32 y/o, depends on how they structured it

Shohei Ohtani the highest paid sport player in the world (baseball at MLB) signed a 10 year-$700M contract but he only gets around $2M per year until the contract ends then he gets the rest of $680M basically after retirement, it can be quite creative TBH

I do wonder if they pay JFH more for the first 2 years but at a very reasonable or bargain price, then reduction in the last 2, maybe they're saving that space to sign a SJ replacement in 1-2 years? SJ is on $550K and if you're paying $500-600K for JFH in 2026 onwards instead of AFB's $1.1M....you've got around $1M to sign the likes of Jerome Hughes, or our ex-ball boy at the Panthers to reunite with Egan, Webby and JFH...