Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
I posted this article earlier when it broke.

It has been updated with a lot of detail about how this happened.

The big one is that Webby contacted Penrith before the AFB news went public. Webby asked if they had any intention of releasing JFH, he did not mention the impending AFB news. They logically said 'No' and it was left at that.

The report states that had they known JFHs intentions it would have been a done deal and AFB would be a Panther.

Overall, I think we got bloody lucky, their recent dominance may have softened them.

Awesome read.

I like how he's accidently stuffed the Panthers a wee bit here too, as the Panthers likely would have had one or a combination of Leniu, Terrell May, or AFB.

Had Fish had these feelings 3-6 months earlier they may have been able to keep Luai even.

It's quite amazing how Penrith have managed this situation.

Contrast that with the Sharks or how Flannegan would handle it.

Say alot about that club and the standing JFH has with them too.

There is a feeling among their fans they have been left holding the bag a bit.

To not seek any compensation in the way of a transfer fee or a player is amicable but unnecessary.

Can only assume that with their pathways they would have no need for a young player

There was talk in the team list thread that Kalani Going is on a specific NSW Cup deal to mentor etc.

I would like the club to offer that to Jazz next year.

He has got injured at the very worst time, he would be aware he was playing for his contract over the next couple of months.

I suspect JFH signing will push Jazz out. But, there would be no one better than him to play NSW Cup in a mentorship role
Jazz would think he’s better than that and he’s probably right too, suits the modern game as forwards get smaller and more mobile. Would just be staying for family etc, love Jazz but someone will be going if they want to keep a path open for the young guys

So in my morning after phase of post nut clarity, I'm worried that we've just spent all of out AFB money and we still need to provide big upgrades to Egan and the young guns coming through. Mostly I hope this singing doesn't come at the cost of Egan

So in my morning after phase of post nut clarity, I'm worried that we've just spent all of out AFB money and we still need to provide big upgrades to Egan and the young guns coming through. Mostly I hope this singing doesn't come at the cost of Egan

You would have to wonder whether Tohu can go on beyond next season?

If he doesn't, theres the best part of $900k right there

Big hard decision to be made there

There is a feeling among their fans they have been left holding the bag a bit.

To not seek any compensation in the way of a transfer fee or a player is amicable but unnecessary.

Can only assume that with their pathways they would have no need for a young player
They could have done what we did with Sam Tomkins: Release him once we'd signed a like-for-like replacement. Which, of course, was that Tuivasa-Sheck fella.
I agree with your assessment: Given how long their pathways system has been in place and given how long they would have had to deal with the Origin period and players being out and their prospective apprentices having to step up for however many games, they trust that there's an JFH 2025 Version in there somewhere who just needs a bit more time and work, which will now be accelerated as there's less time than they were expecting (or maybe not, you should always count on and plan for at least one senior player announcing an immediate retirement IMO)...

I posted this article earlier when it broke.

It has been updated with a lot of detail about how this happened.

The big one is that Webby contacted Penrith before the AFB news went public. Webby asked if they had any intention of releasing JFH, he did not mention the impending AFB news. They logically said 'No' and it was left at that.

The report states that had they known JFHs intentions it would have been a done deal and AFB would be a Panther.

Overall, I think we got bloody lucky, their recent dominance may have softened them.

This quote from Ivan Cleary sums up not just the player we are getting but the person. Leadership and respect is earned and can’t be bought. 💪🏾

Panthers coach Cleary said: “The leadership and cultural impact he has displayed since coming into first grade has been outstanding. He’s evolved into one of the game’s elite players, and coaching him has been a pleasure.”

Have to laugh at Kenty - he can go and get fucked.

We've evidenced how much we give a shit about our players, consistently letting players out of contracts for compassionate reasons- Walsh and AFB are two of the biggest names in the game and we let them walk. Also let our COVID boys go home when they were too homesick in Australia.

Now this prick is saying we should get fined for signing JFH, even tho it sounds like he's approached us and there's no evidence the Warriors have done anything unjust?

Absolute tool bag.
Good old Kenty. He likes taking a stick and stirring the pot. Saying stuff he doesn't necessarily believe.
He'll probably explain next Tuesday what he knows and he knows we know: Players and teams are allowed to talk and proposition as much as they damn well please and whenever they damn well like. They just can't go public until November 1 before the last season of their current contract unless the player's current team allow it.
The equivalent of proposing to your beloved in private in March but not telling nobody nuffin cos you're underage/whatever legal reason until New Year's Eve.

As to the article: If Webby did ask about JFH, wouldn't someone in the Panthers think: "Why ask that, Webby? You've got AFB, Sharp Knife Supreme, surely you don't need two sharp knives!?"
Sounds like a bit of a failure by the Panthers, if it's true. Or, as I said previously, they always trust someone will step-up.

On the Harris and Walker points above. We do have a few players due to retire in the next few years to sustain this current level of performance we will need to be diligent in how we replace them.

It opens up positions in the first-grade side or wider squad for development players. A few guys will need to be upgraded.

Or if we don't have players in-house we can go to the market.

A lot has gone into the clubs turn around. The experienced squad has helped a lot in my opinion. My main fear would be a repeat of 2011 where we ended up with a much younger team that wasn't ready.

Now in saying that my confidence or feelings on the club and their planning is a lot higher than it was a few years ago. I can see any of their moves to replace these places being thought through.

This quote from Ivan Cleary sums up not just the player we are getting but the person. Leadership and respect is earned and can’t be bought. 💪🏾

Panthers coach Cleary said: “The leadership and cultural impact he has displayed since coming into first grade has been outstanding. He’s evolved into one of the game’s elite players, and coaching him has been a pleasure.”
It goes to show the respect they have for him. A few people have posted how a few other clubs or coaches would have played hardball wanting something in return.

If you have a player that has been there a long time and provided the club with great service. In this case played a part in 3 premierships. You show them some respect in return.

We also have a good relationship with Penrith. We approached them via the "front door" Cameron George described it as when they approached Webster by talking to Cleary first. The two coaches (Cleary and Webster) had a history which led to Cleary saying Webster could make a difference here. I think the jury is still out of that one. 😆

There was talk in the team list thread that Kalani Going is on a specific NSW Cup deal to mentor etc.

I would like the club to offer that to Jazz next year.
Jazz could definitely do a great job in that role but, unlike Going, he's an established first grader. While not beyond the realms of possibility, Jazz probably has 3 years as a full time pro left & that'd be a fair bit of cash he'd be leaving on the table

The caps going up slightly each year the next 5 years.

and JFH one of our only long term signings so we're in a decent place to manage it you would think.

Seems like we might be entering a phase of being a destination club too... exciting times

It goes to show the respect they have for him. A few people have posted how a few other clubs or coaches would have played hardball wanting something in return.

If you have a player that has been there a long time and provided the club with great service. In this case played a part in 3 premierships. You show them some respect in return.

We also have a good relationship with Penrith. We approached them via the "front door" Cameron George described it as when they approached Webster by talking to Cleary first. The two coaches (Cleary and Webster) had a history which led to Cleary saying Webster could make a difference here. I think the jury is still out of that one. 😆
The JFH thing reminds me of the Warriors letting Roger go early

I didnt pick you to believe in fairytales.

The $675k comes from a listener txting in Denan Kemps SEN show... It's not credible.

Who cares we signed JFH.

Btw you owe $50...
The fairytale is you thinking a man dicting the terms of his working arrangements, cant negotiate a rate thats acceptable to himself. Regardless of the amount, you seem to think the NRL can hold a player hostage against his wishes. JFH very clearly wants to return to NZ number 1, money is obviously secondary.

Secondly, you should have spoken up when I got banned from the thread before completing the bet, I guess now the dust has settled it doesn't take much courage huh? But considering on the same day the Warriors signed JFH, i got an email from my 12hr round drive and deal done 😮‍💨. Pretty sure I can afford it now

The fairytale is you thinking a man dicting the terms of his working arrangements, cant negotiate a rate thats acceptable to himself. Regardless of the amount, you seem to think the NRL can hold a player hostage against his wishes. JFH very clearly wants to return to NZ number 1, money is obviously secondary.

Secondly, you should have spoken up when I got banned from the thread before completing the bet, I guess now the dust has settled it doesn't take much courage huh? But considering on the same day the Warriors signed JFH, i got an email from my 12hr round drive and deal done 😮‍💨. Pretty sure I can afford it now
First point - the only person that has mentioned the $675k x 4 figure is a listener texting in to Denan Kemps show.
The delusion to grasp to that figure by a few on here is absolutely nutty for something not very credible.

Second point - look at the evidence pointing would have the worst manager of all time to accept that deal when 1. representing the golden boot, kiwis captain, 3 x champ
2. Knowing what other elite props get paid (Tino, Hass, AFB)
3. Knowing the salary cap hole left by the Warriors & offers thrown out to other lesser players.
4. Knowing the salary cap is set to rise each year over the next 5 years
5. Knowing how many Warriors players are contract beyond 2027

It's incredible we've signed him - but $675k because somebody text the Kemp show. Cringe.

Third point we made the bet and you were wrong. Donate it to the site.

Last edited: