Kickoff In:

Allianz Stadium

Sunday
Afternoon
16:00

Warriors

Team Lists

We won u20 in 2010, 2011, 2014

How many of those players had really good goes in our team? We had amazing talent and threw most of them away because we weren't willing to give them chances. Then heaps of them go to other teams and carve up.
As harsh as it is, that is irrelevant to now mate.

Covid screwed up our reserve grade teams and thus our lower depth is quite ragged at the current point in time, Ale, Berry, Ali, Zyon Maiu’u and our other young guns development has been scratchy at the best. From not getting much if any game time at the Dolphins to being pretty fresh out of rugby. It will take some time for them to play as well as juniors out of the Australian teams will, that have had a solid foundation over the past few years.
Expecting our juniors to perform like Brisbanes juniors immediately is just unrealistic in my opinion.

Having these reserve grade teams throughout all age grades will bear fruit, but not for a wee while.

It is irrelevant to now.

My point was that we did have a great production line and we wasted it. Probably due to the merry go round of coaches and all of them didn't want to risk playing rookies.

Webby says he's not afraid to blood rookies and that's true but you have to persist longer than 2 games for some of them or at least bring some of them back. I.e. Pomps on the bench.

When was the last time he had a game for any squad.

Last edited:
It is irrelevant to now.

My point was that we did have a great production line and we wasted it. Probably dude to the merry go round of coaches and all of them didn't want to risk playing rookies.

Webby days he's not afraid to blood rookies and that's true but you have to persist longer than 2 games for some of them or at least bring some of them back. I.e. Pomps on the bench.

When was the last time he had a game for any squad.
Yes, an issue being a development club but the head coach being risk averse and favouring experience.

Results and short term vs opportunity and long term.

Fine balancing act.

We won u20 in 2010, 2011, 2014

How many of those players had really good goes in our team? We had amazing talent and threw most of them away because we weren't willing to give them chances. Then heaps of them go to other teams and carve up.
Who are the "heaps" that go on to carve for other teams? And i mean other NRL teams cause if you say Superleague your taking the piss......(i mean their top teams can cut it with anyone but for the most part its a retirement village)

Having a quick look, out of those winning teams, the players (thats roughly 50 to 60 squad players all up) that went on to play 50 or more (which i wouldnt even call a substantial NRL career but lets have a look anyway) NRL games -
SJ (majority with the Warriors)
Elijah Taylor
Sosaia Feki
Konrad Hurrell (majority with the Warriors, never kicked on in the NRL once he left)
Ben Henry (all with Warriors)
Siliva Havili
Sio Siua Taukeiaho
Solomone Kata (all with Warriors}
Tui Lolohea (majority with Warriors, never kicked on)
Sam Lisone (majority with the Warriors, never kicked on)
Jazz Tevaga (all with warriors)
Tof Sipley
Ken Maumalo (majority with Warriors, never kicked on)
Bunty Afoa (all with Warriors)

I would say there's only 3 maybe 4 players that fit that category of "missing out on" - the obvious one Taukeiaho, then probably Feki and you would have to say Havili'i now after the career he's fashioned. And i'd add Sipley to that list (who'd be awesome to have right now)......maybe Taylor but i felt he had a decent shot here and i dont think he reached the same level once he left.

So from those years out of about 50 to 60 players (its a rough list remember),3 or 4 hardly justify heaps. And what those numbers should highlight is how much we over rate our young talent and how few really kick on.

Atm if most fans had their way our line up this week would include Laban, Zyon Maiu’u, Ali, Halasima, Sifakula, Stowers......a good promising batch for sure.....but the odds say only 1, if were lucky maybe 2 will cut it in first grade, and that introducing these players to first grade needs to be a very careful, thought out process (even with the current funk we're in) if were trying to give them the best chance of a long and lasting career.

Last edited:
I feel like we go down heroically by a try or less, likely more than one controversial decisions not in our favour.
After last week I am picking we are looking like we might pull off an upset. The Roosters put up a bomb that goes into the in-goal and they take the catch in the air. One of our players tackles them in the air and the Roosters player drops it.

The ref then blows a penalty try for the Roosters to win the game.

We ask where is the consistency? The ref says they always blow a penalty try in those circumstances.

I feel dumb luck may just beat us this week, JWH 300th game as a Rooster and their finding form and playing a complete brand of footy currently leaves me with little confidence. If we were playing anyone else I would feel semi confident we could win given the circumstances, backs against the wall, SJ back to roughly 100% health, we have the talent across the park and must have some remnants of belief from last years efforts...just dumb luck we have are playing the hottest team right now followed by Penrith....vomit material as a supporter.

Early Mail: Hooker Freddy Lussick returns from suspension via the reserves and could join the 17 before kick-off. Meanwhile, Shaun Johnson has reportedly shrugged off his injury concerns and is returning to full fitness after battling with an Achilles niggle over the past few rounds. “Last week was the first time he did more than captain’s run. He has been very tough just to get out on the field for us,” coach Andrew Webster said. “It’s good news because at this stage the injury is improving... we’re slowly building him up so hopefully next week or the week after he can do everything.”

Early Mail: Hooker Freddy Lussick returns from suspension via the reserves and could join the 17 before kick-off. Meanwhile, Shaun Johnson has reportedly shrugged off his injury concerns and is returning to full fitness after battling with an Achilles niggle over the past few rounds. “Last week was the first time he did more than captain’s run. He has been very tough just to get out on the field for us,” coach Andrew Webster said. “It’s good news because at this stage the injury is improving... we’re slowly building him up so hopefully next week or the week after he can do everything.”
Certainly there's others with injuries also.
Barnett Tohu tmm Egan Capewell and the list goes on.
Good news with Shaun though 👍

I was optimistic the last 2 weeks vs Titans and Knights thinking we were gonna win one or both of those games but no we lost. The old adage we are a due a win soon but unfortunately it won't be this game. The Roosters are at full strength. Could get ugly scoreline wise.

Call me crazy, but I think the boys will be up for this game.

Don’t write them off just yet.

Expect them to come out firing like they did against the Storm.

After last week I am picking we are looking like we might pull off an upset. The Roosters put up a bomb that goes into the in-goal and they take the catch in the air. One of our players tackles them in the air and the Roosters player drops it.

The ref then blows a penalty try for the Roosters to win the game.

We ask where is the consistency? The ref says they always blow a penalty try in those circumstances.

SJ to the ref: “I AM OLD ENOUGH TO REMEMBER YOUS SAID THE OPPOSITE 7 DAYS AGO!!!”

Badger sends SJ to the bin, SJ charged for 1 week suspension, but could get off by attending a month of gender equality training

Call me crazy, but I think the boys will be up for this game.

Don’t write them off just yet.

Expect them to come out firing like they did against the Storm.
I have the feeling too for some reason. Even though I and others have been baying for changes, if Ali is not available and not in NSW Cup. and Laban not having a great outing last time, this 17 selected may be our best chance of winning. I feel like this a movie of the bad news bears. The Warriors always rise or fall down to the level of their opposition. I think this could be a game to remember for a long time. Don't miss it Whanau.

I dunno, so many things to consider with this week.

SJ coming back to full fitness is great and hopefully that translates to game day. Funny tho, even tho SJ is playing busted he's still performing great - 4 tries, 8 try assists and 10 forced drop outs. For context, that's slightly better than his efforts this time last year, and better than this year's current Daly M leader 🤦

I'm struggling to understand where we're going wrong. Every week it seems that it's something different t, but Webby's spoken about 'micro' issues that should be able to be fixed quickly. Given that it's not an absolute cluster fuck, I'm happy for Webby to give them a few more weeks to see how they perform against some of the comps bench mark teams in the nek few weeks.

Another thing I thought was really interesting was how the Knights responded to SJs bombs - they planted Best in the corner so the winger had someone to draw and pass to. It was quite effective once or twice, but I'm hopeful other teams have picked up on that because I feel thats an area we could exploit if other teams drop a player back.

If we end up with Freddy or Laban (or even Zyon Maiu’u) on the bench I think our team looks infinitely better and am expecting a late change. I think our bench and how it's used has probably been Webby's biggest issues lately, so I'm hoping he can bounce back this week.

We've struggled against lesser opposition in the last few weeks, so in typical Warriors fashion I expect us to come out and fire up against the better teams. We might even get a little complacency from the Roosters. We have to use it if that's the case

Scenario one: We win. Every warriors fan on this message board is to have a parade around the living room
Scenario two: We lose. Bring on next week. If we lose then we sure are not ready for two franchises at this rate.
Not sure either scenario re win/lose
But wonder if another franchise isn't a really good idea. Relieves the pressure of being the only show in town without earning it & creates a kiwi rivalry that, while it might not be Sydneyesque numbers-wise, creates its own brand of rivalry. Nothing like competing against another club who is aiming to steal, up till then, your exclusive thunder

Back