Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bro I defend a lot of your posts, but you're out in the wilderness on this. Nationals servitude to the roading cartels in NZ is a fucking joke, yes Labour are shit, yes they dither on heaps, but they are normally headed in the right direction on national transit. National take 3/4 of the time to deliver but deliver the worst result.

Fact is, over the last 30 years National has protected said mafia from any threat NZs carcentric culture.
I believe Labour knew it was unaffordable and unachievable. They couldn’t fund it so they dithered around until National canned it. There is no other excuse for doing nothing in 6 years.

It’s alright having ideas but when your the slowest most expensive infrastructure building country in the world, we will never have good things.

Let’s start by having a 4 lane road between Auckland and Tauranga please. Just basic stuff every other country already has.

I believe Labour knew it was unaffordable and unachievable. They couldn’t fund it so they dithered around until National canned it. There is no other excuse for doing nothing in 6 years.

It’s alright having ideas but when your the slowest most expensive infrastructure building country in the world, we will never have good things.

Let’s start by having a 4 lane road between Auckland and Tauranga please. Just basic stuff every other country already has.
Four lane highway great.
Expand the port great.
Just one hurdle..

Bro I defend a lot of your posts, but you're out in the wilderness on this. Nationals servitude to the roading cartels in NZ is a fucking joke, yes Labour are shit, yes they dither on heaps, but they are normally headed in the right direction on national transit. National take 3/4 of the time to deliver but deliver the worst result.

Fact is, over the last 30 years National has protected said mafia from any threat NZs carcentric culture.
It has been both National and Labour. The tail wags the dog, the tendering matrix is such that only existing providers will win.
FH, Higgins and to a lesser extent Downers have had us by the throat for 30 years at least.

Last edited:
It has been both National and Labour. The tail wags the dog, the tendering matrix is such that only existing providers will win.
FH, Higgins and to a lesser Downers have had us by the throat for 30 years at least.
Very, very true. Labour has timidly tried to signal some sort of policy action, but woefully inadequate.

Noone has the balls for nation building anymore

I don't believe it's the balls that are lacking.
More likely the lack of intelligence of our politicians 🙄 Unfortunately
Or the fact they can be bought off.

I f***ing hate conspiracy theories and how odinary people and others go down rabbit holes they can't get out of - however, if you ask the right questions without the noise there are some doozie manouevres in plain sight.
Ask yourself who benefits the most if Auckland doesn't have a public transport system?

I f***ing hate conspiracy theories and how odinary people and others go down rabbit holes they can't get out of - however, if you ask the right questions without the noise there are some doozie manouevres in plain sight.
Ask yourself who benefits the most if Auckland doesn't have a public transport system?
Those damn bike manufacturers!

Those damn bike manufacturers!
An example of what I mean (from 2017 - 6 years ago).
Some people will view him as an entrepreneur & maybe he is but a few things stood out to me (among others) that may factor around development of a pan-Auckland public transport system - why would you have one if the investment (overseas type) is better served to create profitable self-contained hubs for living, work and shopping, especially if you can own the whole shebang or at least a large part of it? Captive communityeconomies right there.
Hence my question re who actually benefits from not having a robust public transport system across AK?
Link below but hre's a couple of tidbits....
"Early indications of the NZX moves are hopeful, he says, with international interest."

"There's been a wave of international capital and we've been approached by a number of parties from overseas saying they want to buy the business or parts of the business."

"We are uniquely poised for organic growth. We see mixed-use development being integral to get an opportunity to create capital. We could build 2000 apartments at Westgate. The total at Milford will be about 300."

"Westgate's 56ha greenfields site is earmarked for a $1 billion expansion and 20 new shops were last month announced at Milford. Birkenhead will get a similar scale of retail expansion."

If we're going down that road, there's blackmail, kompromat and violence too. They're not called cartels and mafia for nothing, naive to think our big money boys aren't dirty and our pollies are incorruptible.

Funny how covid applies when it suits but when mentioned for some of our economical misfortunes it shouldn’t factor? Mmm
It's like how for some posters on here the Christchurch recovery didn't count when they helped things looked good for Mr Smile-Wave-And-Pull-Ponytails economy-wise but somehow the Christchurch earthquakes did when they helped things looked bad for him.

Either you include them both or you exclude them both.

An example of what I mean (from 2017 - 6 years ago).
Some people will view him as an entrepreneur & maybe he is but a few things stood out to me (among others) that may factor around development of a pan-Auckland public transport system - why would you have one if the investment (overseas type) is better served to create profitable self-contained hubs for living, work and shopping, especially if you can own the whole shebang or at least a large part of it? Captive communityeconomies right there.
Hence my question re who actually benefits from not having a robust public transport system across AK?
Link below but hre's a couple of tidbits....
"Early indications of the NZX moves are hopeful, he says, with international interest."

"There's been a wave of international capital and we've been approached by a number of parties from overseas saying they want to buy the business or parts of the business."

"We are uniquely poised for organic growth. We see mixed-use development being integral to get an opportunity to create capital. We could build 2000 apartments at Westgate. The total at Milford will be about 300."

"Westgate's 56ha greenfields site is earmarked for a $1 billion expansion and 20 new shops were last month announced at Milford. Birkenhead will get a similar scale of retail expansion."

Off course Mr Gunton wants a transport system servicing his vast tracts of land, it increases the value significantly. He clever, he bought land anticipating Aucklands growth.

Off course Mr Gunton wants a transport system servicing his vast tracts of land, it increases the value significantly. He clever, he bought land anticipating Aucklands growth.
Local, not pan-Auckland I think.
I believe I read somewhere and heard about self-contained 'hubs' - which on the face of it would reduce the larger traffic issues Auckland as a selling point - concentrates work, shopping, social activities all based around commercial malls, housing, and community spaces all designed and owned by specific corporate entities - read, foreign interests (which he mentions). Not publically owned or potentially rate-payer influenced.
Thought you guys would be all over it...15-minute cities anyone? No? 😄

As an aside a few years ago I was renting a house from a family I knew through sport.
They had a property agent supposedly keeping an eye on the house.
After 6 months I rang the owner overseas and told him I had not seen or heard of the property manager for 6 months since I moved in.
He was paying the manager $30 per week.
We arranged for a neighbor (another from the club) to call in now and again.
Worked well. He agreed to pass on half the savings in rental reduction to me and he kept the other $15.
Only cost me a beer when the guy inspected.
Property management can be false economy
From when I was renting this doesn't surprise me. The times any place went through a property agent we didn't hear anything.

Inspections every 6 months. My response would fit on a TUI ad.

You would think in theory having a middle person would help in some aspects. Renter calls the agent to get something fixed, the agent notifies the landlord. The agent organises someone to fix it or inspects it and organises the repair or pricing for the landlord. Landlord pays the repairs. You would at least expect the agent to be more readily available compared to a landlord who is likely working themselves and need to come onsite when the can free up time.

Some landlords are better than others I just remember the calls we had.
  • Call the landlord we have a problem in the bathroom. Response what should I do. Us call a plumber.
  • Or the same landlord telling us to just get someone in and she will pay it. Then complain that it is too expensive and we didn't take time off work to get 5 different quotes.
This could fall apart if the agents only worry about pleasing one side. Likely the landlord. I think poster have mentioned about overseas examples where they have different policies.

So more of the same bullshit. to call NZ a 3rd world county is an insult to the global south who have functioning mass transit.
The other one is air conditioning. You go to Thailand and even simple little buildings can keep you cool.

Every single office I've worked at the last 20 years has pretty much had air conditioning issues.

The other one is air conditioning. You go to Thailand and even simple little buildings can keep you cool.

Every single office I've worked at the last 20 years has pretty much had air conditioning issues.
Can you use the water dripping from the leaky building to cool yourself down?

Some Candian crowd offered their services to pay for it. It was already discussed in cabinet and agreed on funding but for some reason Twyford acknowledged this new offer (it was also more expensive over the long run for more or less the same amount of money). Naturally it had to go to cabinet to be discussed and deservedly told to go fly a kite. By that time costs had exploded and there had to be new modelling done for funding and of course it was too late for the original plan now.
For New Zealand this is probably our best option to get something major done. Cost it and put it out for tender and get someone else to do it.

As we have seen with Labours big projects having the government act like a project manager or plan things didn't work. Think it would be better for the country to have them decide what is needed and pay someone with a track record for getting things done.

I don't have an issue with the light rail being cancelled. After no progress since they were elected in 2017 it is time to cut your losses and look at other projects.

A transport to and from an international airport is a given for any major city. The thing is Labour didn't really define the project. They later stated the airport was just a possible stop.

Local, not pan-Auckland I think.
I believe I read somewhere and heard about self-contained 'hubs' - which on the face of it would reduce the larger traffic issues Auckland as a selling point - concentrates work, shopping, social activities all based around commercial malls, housing, and community spaces all designed and owned by specific corporate entities - read, foreign interests (which he mentions). Not publically owned or potentially rate-payer influenced.
Thought you guys would be all over it...15-minute cities anyone? No? 😄
We sort of got that with Albany, corporates, commercial, retail and residential and even a stadium. Good idea if you can attract the big players but that depends on the economic climate etc.

Whenua Māori mortgage breakthrough for whānau dreaming of home ownership​

Whakaata Māori
15 Jan, 2024 07:30 AM2 mins to read
SaveShare
Ngāti Whatua Ōrākei and BNZ are designing a new model that may help Māori home ownership. Photo / Whakaata Māori

Ngāti Whatua Ōrākei and BNZ are designing a new model that may help Māori home ownership. Photo / Whakaata Māori

A new lending model could allow iwi to unlock whenua Māori for housing without their land being put at risk, a report by The Post says.

Historically, banks have been reluctant to give home loans for housing on Māori-owned land because they are unable to secure the loans against the land - but now a new model developed by BNZ and Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei is offering a breakthrough for iwi.

Under the model, hapū members, who meet the bank’s normal home-lending criteria, get loans to buy homes on iwi-owned land and the iwi agrees to step in and buy the mortgages if borrowers fail to make repayments.

The model has been developed with Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei’s 24-home Hawaiki St development in Tāmaki Makaurau in mind.

Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei Whai Rawa chief executive Grant Kemble said the model enables whānau to realise a dream.

“The framework has made homeownership more accessible for our whānau.”

Whetu Rangi, BNZ’s head of Māori banking, indicated the model could remove a significant barrier for Māori home ownership, The Post said.

“One of the biggest struggles is the ability to unlock whenua Māori as a financial asset, especially utilising it for residential purposes. We think this is the first step in a long journey, and is hopefully something we will see again on a regular basis.”

Whenua Māori mortgage breakthrough for whānau dreaming of home ownership​

Whakaata Māori
15 Jan, 2024 07:30 AM2 mins to read
SaveShare

A new lending model could allow iwi to unlock whenua Māori for housing without their land being put at risk, a report by The Post says.

Historically, banks have been reluctant to give home loans for housing on Māori-owned land because they are unable to secure the loans against the land - but now a new model developed by BNZ and Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei is offering a breakthrough for iwi.

Under the model, hapū members, who meet the bank’s normal home-lending criteria, get loans to buy homes on iwi-owned land and the iwi agrees to step in and buy the mortgages if borrowers fail to make repayments.

The model has been developed with Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei’s 24-home Hawaiki St development in Tāmaki Makaurau in mind.

Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei Whai Rawa chief executive Grant Kemble said the model enables whānau to realise a dream.

“The framework has made homeownership more accessible for our whānau.”

Whetu Rangi, BNZ’s head of Māori banking, indicated the model could remove a significant barrier for Māori home ownership, The Post said.

“One of the biggest struggles is the ability to unlock whenua Māori as a financial asset, especially utilising it for residential purposes. We think this is the first step in a long journey, and is hopefully something we will see again on a regular basis.”

Ngati Whatua is a very commercially focused well run Iwi. The have the freight to be able to step in if buyers default and the bank will see Ngati Whatua as a very stable customer. This model wont work with smaller Iwi or hapu.

For New Zealand this is probably our best option to get something major done. Cost it and put it out for tender and get someone else to do it.

As we have seen with Labours big projects having the government act like a project manager or plan things didn't work. Think it would be better for the country to have them decide what is needed and pay someone with a track record for getting things done.

I don't have an issue with the light rail being cancelled. After no progress since they were elected in 2017 it is time to cut your losses and look at other projects.

A transport to and from an international airport is a given for any major city. The thing is Labour didn't really define the project. They later stated the airport was just a possible stop.
Bit like pickled Muldoon in the early 80s with "Think Big"
Borrowed to do it and put nz in an upwards inflation spiral and led to Rogernomics which Labour couldn't stop until Lange grew some and called for a cuppa tea pause.
Roger Douglas was a Labour outlier who later showed his true colours by jumping on the Act bandwagon.

Back