NRL NRL Naughty chair

The Penrith Panthers have moved to terminate the contract of Taylan May, issuing the centre with a show cause notice as he prepares to front the club’s board to fight for his career next week.

The Panthers last week presented May – who is due to face court on domestic violence charges in March next year – with a dossier of breaches during his time at the club, dating back several years.

The breaches of the club’s code of conduct are not related to allegations made by his partner that resulted in May being charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and two counts of stalking or intimidating another person with the intention of causing them to fear physical or mental harm. May has pleaded not guilty.

May will have to face the Panthers board next Tuesday in relation to a string of other off-field misdemeanours during his time at Penrith. The Panthers and May’s agent declined to comment when contacted on Monday night.

Sources with knowledge of the situation talking on the condition of anonymity said some of the breaches relate to incidents that took place before he signed a contract extension with the Panthers on March 22 this year.

The club agreed to a two-year extension worth close to $1.2 million to keep him at Penrith until the end of 2026.

Sources said that the list of breaches included in the show-cause notice include the use of foul language on social media and a recent video post of him in the passenger seat of a car driving at 96km/h in a school zone last month.

May, represented by lawyer Abdul Reslan, was granted bail last month. He is next due before the courts in March, 2025. Reslan is also the lawyer representing Jackson Topine in his legal action against the Bulldogs over their treatment of him while he was training last year.

May allegedly assaulted Jessica May by punching her in the face during an altercation on the night of April 8, before being arrested 24 hours before Penrith’s Magic Round clash against the NZ Warriors.

Former Penrith Mayor Tricia Hitchen joined the board of the Penrith Panthers at the end of last season. She is also a director of The Haven Nepean Women’s Shelter, an organisation that offers a place for women and their children escaping domestic violence. She is one of two women on the Panthers board.

The decision to issue May with a show-cause notice has been driven by the club’s board.

Former Penrith Mayor Tricia Hitchen joined the board of the Penrith Panthers at the end of last season. She is also a director of The Haven Nepean Women’s Shelter, an organisation that offers a place for women and their children escaping domestic violence. She is one of two women on the Panthers board.

The decision to issue May with a show-cause notice has been driven by the club’s board.
There is often tokenism in management and at the board level. Like, NZRFU.

However, this is a perfect example where the right skills are put in the right place and generate the right outcomes

Awesome to see

I remember a while back rumours about a chooks player having a gambling problem, management being pissed off etc.
Wonder if this is related.

'Hopeless gambler' in hot water
One of the NRL's highest-paid players has a bad gambling problem - but has made it much worse by borrowing money all over town and then pouring it into the poker machines.

Several of his teammates have helped him out… but he hasn't repaid them and they aren't holding their breath about getting their hard-earned cash back.

The player is well and truly in the doghouse - and no, he's not a Bulldog.

But one thing is certain - he'll be playing in different colours in 2025 after well and truly wearing out his welcome.

NRL personality Paul Kent drank 21 schooners before alleged street brawl, court told​

Sally RawsthorneJune 7, 2024 — 11.23am
Listen to this article
Rugby league presenter Paul Kent drank 21 schooners before an ugly street brawl outside a Rozelle pub earlier this year, a court has heard.
Video footage in April captured an intoxicated Kent reacting angrily to allegedly being insulted by Tamer Uzun as he walked past him, branding Uzun a “doghead” before removing his watch and resisting an effort to subdue him.
Cocking his fists, Kent then charged at the 35-year-old, with whom he traded punches before the clash shifted onto the street in front of the venue and the journalist was flung head-first into the trunk of a roadside tree.
The man he squared up to on Friday appeared briefly in the Downing Centre Local Court on an affray charge, which his lawyer, Bryan Wrench, said he would ask police to withdraw.
“We have obtained a number of CCTV videos, it’s a matter of an affray where we say our client is the victim, he was attacked,” Wrench told the Downing Centre Local Court on Friday morning.
Uzun and Kent will both return to court next month.
Kent had drunk 21 schooners in the lead-up to the brawl, Wrench told the court.
This masthead has reported that he spent the afternoon of April 27 at his regular table at the Sackville Hotel, before becoming embroiled in the fracas as he made his way towards his Lilyfield home.
A court last month heard that Kent is seeking help for his mental health and drinking.
A rugby league columnist for The Daily Telegraph and a commentator on Fox Sports’ NRL 360, Kent had only returned in March to the flagship Fox Sports panel show after sitting out much of the 2023 season while he defended charges of domestic violence against his former partner.
He was found not guilty in December of choking and assaulting the 33-year-old woman, telling reporters afterwards he was relieved “the truth is out there, finally”.
Last month, he failed in a bid to recoup legal costs from the state.
Start the day with a summary of the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter.

The story that keeps on giving 🤭
He must’ve been a hell of a sight the next day- hangover af, pulling bits of bark out of his throbbing forehead 🤣
His phone would’ve been blowing up deluxe too.
I almost feel sorry for him…. Nah it’s still funny 😂

21 schooners. Damn. If he wants to see the effects of too much alcohol all he needs to do is look across at his work mate Rothfield.

The other guy should get off for just defending himself as he was attacked by a crazy drunk.

I still want to know his current status with News Ltd. If he is on gardening leave he better not take it literally as doesn't treat trees the best.

And we are meant to believe that bullshit - the keint can't count past 6!!
Or is it like the old joke by Steady Eddy (An Australian comedian with cerebral palsy): "My family and friends are worried about my drinking 'cos I order schooners. But that's so I can have a midi when I get back to my table!"
And anyhow, schooners of what? Like all drinks, they're measured by size not Al Key Hole content. 21 Schooners of shandies is different from 21 Schooners of XXXX. You're somewhat less XXXXed, for a start!

Or is it like the old joke by Steady Eddy (An Australian comedian with cerebral palsy): "My family and friends are worried about my drinking 'cos I order schooners. But that's so I can have a midi when I get back to my table!"
And anyhow, schooners of what? Like all drinks, they're measured by size not Al Key Hole content. 21 Schooners of shandies is different from 21 Schooners of XXXX. You're somewhat less XXXXed, for a start!

Pretty sure that mug wasn't on the shandys lol. But yeah, kinda important info haha

Back