Sports Black Caps

Didn’t want to elaborate on Martin but in my opinion she’s not just boring, she hasn’t got the feel for a duo on the mic.
Maybe with a third member in the box it would flow a bit better.
She definitely has the technical knowledge but I find it sometimes awkward to listen to her and the other commentator.

She is miles ahead of Debbie Hockley if you use that as a yardstick! Hockley made me want to insert razor blades into my ears. Isa Guha is a sensational commentator, but we don't seem to have anyone of that ilk around. Frankie MacKay is not too bad.

I know a couple of NZ Women's cricketers who have always found Katie Martin a bit of a comedian behind the scenes. A couple of her anecdotes in the commentary (I think during tea), were pretty cringeworthy though.

yeeeaahh.....but in my opinion those successes were mostly built off Hesson and McCullum. It's definitely been bad for 3 years in Test Cricket at least
Mate, I think you and I should stay away from politics and just discuss cricket and league. Our views are much more aligned.

Last edited:
She is miles ahead of Debbie Hockley if you use that as a yardstick! Hockley made me want to insert razor blades into my ears. Isa Guha is a sensational commentator, but we don't seem to have anyone of that ilk around. Frankie MacKay is not too bad.

I know a couple of NZ Women's cricketers who have always found Katie Martin a bit of a comedian behind the scenes. A couple of her anecdotes in the commentary (I think during tea), were pretty cringeworthy though.
These girls know their stuff but found Frankie Mackay just another droning monotone in a commentary already over represented in droning monotones. Even Rigger without the likes of Smithy and Cumming to banter with was pretty forgettable.

I would be more than happy with someone like Laura McGoldrick even heading a commentary team. Shes a natural. Shed probably know more about the game than Scotty Stevenson at least and would add a lot more colour. Laura, Smithy, Coney, Rigger and Cumming and a guest commentator from whichever country we're playing.......Test cricket can be a hard slog to watch at times but at least that lot would make it interesting.

yeeeaahh.....but in my opinion those successes were mostly built off Hesson and McCullum. It's definitely been bad for 3 years in Test Cricket at least
Maybe also the effects of losing the likes of Taylor, Watling, Boult (to a large part), Guptill (from the short game) and not having the class to replace them starting to really hit. Plus an aging core perhaps on the downside of their powers - Southee, Wagner, Nicholls etc? All contributes

Obviusly we're going to struggle while we're in this blooding in period of new players but i think we'll always be competitive against the mid tier sides for the most part, the big guns tho, yeah we'll struggle.

Maybe also the effects of losing the likes of Taylor, Watling, Boult (to a large part), Guptill (from the short game) and not having the class to replace them starting to really hit. Plus an aging core perhaps on the downside of their powers - Southee, Wagner, Nicholls etc? All contributes

Obviusly we're going to struggle while we're in this blooding in period of new players but i think we'll always be competitive against the mid tier sides for the most part, the big guns tho, yeah we'll struggle.
True and all nations will have to go through this process sooner or later

True and all nations will have to go through this process sooner or later
Aussie batting lineup are going through this now, their vunerable, need to make the most of it. Bowling line up is all time tho.....but at some point they'll be a changing of the guard their too, and thats when we need to strike.

These girls know their stuff but found Frankie Mackay just another droning monotone in a commentary already over represented in droning monotones. Even Rigger without the likes of Smithy and Cumming to banter with was pretty forgettable.

I would be more than happy with someone like Laura McGoldrick even heading a commentary team. Shes a natural. Shed probably know more about the game than Scotty Stevenson at least and would add a lot more colour. Laura, Smithy, Coney, Rigger and Cumming and a guest commentator from whichever country we're playing.......Test cricket can be a hard slog to watch at times but at least that lot would make it interesting.
I was thinking McGoldrick too, but then compared her to why I don't like Stevenson who lacks the innate understanding of the game. You are right though, she is natural and a pretty good student of sport in general. With Guppy she will have the background with the team to add colour.

I'd really rather they choose cricketers that have a lot of history in the game. Of course the other glaring issue is how sanitised everything needs to be for the PC nature of modern media.

I used to quite enjoy Simon Doull, he had a good understanding of the game, would raise the big issues, and could tell a yarn. Smithy is a legend. Coney is refreshing now, but I found him a bit doddery and repetitive towards the end of his mainstream career a decade or so ago. Glenn Turner was pretty decent.

I was thinking McGoldrick too, but then compared her to why I don't like Stevenson who lacks the innate understanding of the game. You are right though, she is natural and a pretty good student of sport in general. With Guppy she will have the background with the team to add colour.

I'd really rather they choose cricketers that have a lot of history in the game. Of course the other glaring issue is how sanitised everything needs to be for the PC nature of modern media.

I used to quite enjoy Simon Doull, he had a good understanding of the game, would raise the big issues, and could tell a yarn. Smithy is a legend. Coney is refreshing now, but I found him a bit doddery and repetitive towards the end of his mainstream career a decade or so ago. Glenn Turner was pretty decent.
Yeah i liked Doull as well, he wasnt shy to speak out against the status quo or call it if someone wasnt performing......didnt always agree with him but at least he would take a stance which made him interesting. Probably right about Coney who is more ensconced in Radio these days anyway.

I love how people put the boot into Nicholls because he doesn't score enough away from home, but the same people are happy Will Young is in this team.

Will Young is way worse than Jeet Reval! I think this series kills his international career.

I do not want to see him ever wear the whites again.

I love how people put the boot into Nicholls because he doesn't score enough away from home, but the same people are happy Will Young is in this team.

Will Young is way worse than Jeet Reval! I think this series kills his international career.

I do not want to see him ever wear the whites again.
I think sometimes you invest in players because they have all the right ingredients. Will Young does, he is really good on the back foot shots on the leg side too, which is a bonus we don't see often in NZ. Unfortunately he has never really put it all together, which is a shame because I think he is better than what his career record will show. It certainly didn't help that he spent most of his early years perpetually injured.

I supported Young because I believed that one day it would click, whereas Nicholls had a flawed technique that isn't a great foundation to work from when out of form. Likewise Conway has a flawed technique on balls that cramp him, which I have been surprised has taken so long to catch up with him. He was always an inside rather than outside edger. That said he has phenomenal hand-eye, which should see him scoring many more runs in future when the trough is over and the confidence is back.

I think sometimes you invest in players because they have all the right ingredients. Will Young does, he is really good on the back foot shots on the leg side too, which is a bonus we don't see often in NZ. Unfortunately he has never really put it all together, which is a shame because I think he is better than what his career record will show. It certainly didn't help that he spent most of his early years perpetually injured.

I supported Young because I believed that one day it would click, whereas Nicholls had a flawed technique that isn't a great foundation to work from when out of form. Likewise Conway has a flawed technique on balls that cramp him, which I have been surprised has taken so long to catch up with him. He was always an inside rather than outside edger. That said he has phenomenal hand-eye, which should see him scoring many more runs in future when the trough is over and the confidence is back.
I think will young is fine in white ball cricket. He just never seems to look in even when hes 65 off 136 balls! I would almost consider looking at Ravindra to open again in the near future., and put Conway back at 4

1 T Latham (wearing thin)
2 R Ravindra
3 K Williamson (lord Savior)
4 D Conway
5 D Mitchell
6 G Phillips (genuine All-Rounder)
7 M Hay wk
8 M Henry
9 K Jamieson (when Fit)
10 W O'Rourke
11 T Southee (paddles record so close yet so far!)

Back up batter at home H Nicholls
Back up bowlers
M Santner
Z Foulks

Last edited:

It's another disappointing side to the selector (well, Larsen really, and I do like Larsen as a person) and Stead, and how they've managed this last four years. They've known what will happen - birthdays tell you that.

Under the previous (not neoliberal) regime there was a good mix of loyalty and succession planning, bringing younger players through.

In a return to the bad old days (am I back in the politics forum again?) that succession planning just hasn't happened, and the loyalty has been too long and for the wrong reasons I think.

There was a real lack of onfield camaraderie this time - even in the bad moments a few years back you would always see support for the bowler, two or more fielders chasing, lots of talk. I saw many times Will O'Rourke with no one offering him any guidance at all.

And jaysis, that short stuff was appalling.

Debbie is the one who just repeat what the other male commentators said 5 seconds beforehand? 🤣 Not the type of representation the media was going for

Isa blew up after singing during the 2019 WC lol, I remember her jinxing Balstow in the final, good looking too

If they want a girl they need either someone articulate and knowledgeable or someone who doesn’t know much but is bubbly like Laura, I feel they are not choosing the best girls on merit, surely there are very good ones

About the monotone, what’s with all the Aussie female anchors? All deep toned lol

Back