General Warriors Junior Pathways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screenshot_20240118-115559_Facebook.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/BOgGCGCHlHA?si=Rx9sf_xdc8LieVEJ

Last edited:
I distinctly remember dreaming of this day when we'd have a full compliment of SG Ball, Harold Matthew's/Jersey Flegg, U21s and reserves. I was 13 and the year was 1988, that was before this club became a rumour. Things have changed but geez it's a great era to be alive for these young lads.

I distinctly remember dreaming of this day when we'd have a full compliment of SG Ball, Harold Matthew's/Jersey Flegg, U21s and reserves. I was 13 and the year was 1988, that was before this club became a rumour. Things have changed but geez it's a great era to be alive for these young lads.
Remember 2011, when we were in all three Grand Finals? How good would that be to be in that situation again? Except winning more than 1 this time 'round.....

I played in the 1987 commonwealth bank cup.

Came back to NZ like you dreaming of a NZ schools comp - and under 19s etc that took part in the Winfield cup under an Auckland league club.

School boys like me who played league under the Winfield cup era got free season tickets to any game in Australia during the regular season. Went and watched Mark Graham, Clayton Friend, Olsen Filipaina every weekend. Very happy times for me since I was a North Sydney Bears fan from childhood and my heroes ended up signing with the Bears.

Came back to NZ to play for Papakura, a core of our team joined league to start fights....so I though fk this, League will never take off in this country....

Skip forward to the present day and the up the WAHs movement, while it ain't a nickname I would choose - I am 110% behind it.

Seems you and me are seeing our dreams play out at last in real time, only took decades, but here we are talking about NZ based teenagers playing in a pro league.

UP THE WHA'S!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I played in the 1987 commonwealth bank cup, got offered a scholarship to transfer to Fairfeild Patrician brothers for the 1988 season...they won the comp.

I blew out my knee playing basketball for NSW schoolboys.

Came back to NZ like you dreaming of a NZ schools comp - and under 19s etc that took part in the Winfield cup under an Auckland league club.

I went around telling everyone that Rugby league would surpass Union when a NZ side enters the comp (there is the origin of my love hate relationship with the Warriors).

School boys like me who played league under the Winfield cup era got free season tickets to any game in Australia during the regular season. Went and watched Mark Graham, Clayton Friend, Olsen Filipaina every weekend. Very happy times for me since I was a North Sydney Bears fan from childhood and my heroes ended up signing with the Bears.

Came back to NZ to play for Papakura, a core of our team joined league to start fights....so I though fk this, League will never take off in this country....

Skip forward to the present day and the up the WAHs movement, while it ain't a nickname I would choose - I am 110% behind it.

Seems you and me are seeing our dreams play out at last in real time, only took decades, but here we are talking about NZ based teenagers playing in a pro league.

UP THE WHA'S!!!!!!!
I was playing in the 60/70s.
League was obviously a much dirtier game then.
One senior game against Otahuhu at Carlaw I hit a guy head high(accidentally of course).
Got marched for 10.
Half time in the rooms I was expecting a blast from the coach.
He came over and said "great tackle son"
Tough game back then.

One senior game against Otahuhu at Carlaw I hit a guy head high(accidentally of course).
Got marched for 10.
Tough game back then.
Yeah I remember that stuff well.

We used to think a spear tackle/pole axe tackle was a great hit eh, tipping a guy upside down and driving his head into the ground.

View: https://youtu.be/yBdOCLbVU3Q?si=gbtcxJtnTjFuLzgQ

Got marched for 10.
Tough game back then.
In defence of Union I started in the Eastern BOP sub union. Even Graham Lowe said it was up there with the hardest and dirtiest Rugby of either cose. I laid on the ball in a Te Teko ruck. It was like going through a combine harvester. One guy was found when the Ref checked his boots pre match to have a pair of scissors taped to the sole of his boot.

Reminds me of a RLW cartoon after the Kiwis beat the Kangeroos ('98 from memory). Kiwi pointing to Australia and saying "That insignificant rugby league outpost is called our West Island."

Imagine how down in the month the Australian media coverage will be when all the trophies reside in Auckland.

Anyone post this please?
Sorry, can't help with posting this - although I would like to see it too. The Bulldogs Harold Matts coach who orchestrated the boilover is a fellow Cantab.

CODE Sports seems to do a lot of lower grades reporting, so it may be one worthwhile subscribing too - anyone else a member who can verify whether it is worthwhile (or not)?

Status
Not open for further replies.