Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
I would begrudge him. He’s picked up a great salary from the club over the years, sometimes deserved, sometimes not. If he wants a title with the Warriors, he needs to take one for the team now. He could still pick up a title with the roosters on good coin if there’s any truth to that? He knows the importance he has to this current team, if he upped and left I’d be bitter

But why would you begrudge him?
He's on his last legs and if he gets a deal where he gets more money than were offering, more security with a 2 year deal and more opportunity (as of rd 9) to win a final?

Shieeet man that all seems pretty reasonable from my point of view. If the Warriors want him to stay we have to either pony up, or offer him more of a reason to stay.

But why would you begrudge him?
He's on his last legs and if he gets a deal where he gets more money than were offering, more security with a 2 year deal and more opportunity (as of rd 9) to win a final?

Shieeet man that all seems pretty reasonable from my point of view. If the Warriors want him to stay we have to either pony up, or offer him more of a reason to stay.
Don’t think it would be for the money if he went, the tigers were offering him more money to go back to Sydney. Roosters would be more likely to win the comp than the tigers so I think this would be more of a possibility? Really hope it’s a load of shit either way and he stays to try and win his and the clubs maiden premiership

southsydneyrabbitohs

Juniors​

Messages490
The rorters have offered shaun Johnson 900k

Off the souths LU forum. Not sure if there’s any truth to it?
Surely that would have to be for 2 years?
I’d be disappointed if he left for money, could kinda understand if it was to try win a premiership and would totally understand if it was because they were offering 2 years and we are only prepared to offer 1.
Fark I hope we beat the rorters this week.

Stating the obvious, but most of the squad are off contract after next year. So I guess the strategy is stick to the game plan and players for now and expect the likes of Ali, Laban, Zyon Maiu’u and crew to take over from 2026 ie no need to make wholesale changes to fit them into this years rotation. Makes sense I guess.

I don't see how they would want to get Toby Sexton when they just got Jett Cleary. He's what 19, if he's good enough then we play him. If not, then we have to bide our time for 1 more year and that's when we might want to get him, but who wants to come across the ditch for 1 year?

edit: thinking more about it, Galvin is 19, Katoa was 19, Talagi is 19. I think Walsh was 18/19 when he played for us. We can definitely blood them. We need youth in our team or in 2 years time we are poked.

I would begrudge him. He’s picked up a great salary from the club over the years, sometimes deserved, sometimes not. If he wants a title with the Warriors, he needs to take one for the team now. He could still pick up a title with the roosters on good coin if there’s any truth to that? He knows the importance he has to this current team, if he upped and left I’d be bitter
I don't think it's fair to begrudge players for being overpaid unless they obviously stop putting in effort after signing a big contract. Management/recruitment deserves the criticism there.
I'm all for players sacrificing a bit of coin for the greater good (especially if they've already made good money in their career) but their would be a limit to that. If the warriors only offered him 500k vs the roosters 900k would you still feel bitter?

Edit: thinking more about it, Galvin is 19, Katoa was 19, Talagi is 19. I think Walsh was 18/19 when he played for us. We can definitely blood them. We need youth in our team or in 2 years time we are poked.

All of those players have had big wraps on them. I'm not sure, but it seems to me that outside of his name Jett isn't seen as one of the better younger halves running around?
Is anyone able to share a bit more about him and if he's actually a gun in the making?

Not sure if it could be done this year but if he is going to be a huge part of our team moving forward, I wonder if we could make a play for him this year to give him 3-6 games, before picking a few more up Nek year, with 2026 likely when SJ finishes up or is on a reduced playing role.
Get him 35-40 games before he's in charge for 2027.

I'm still a bit worried about this year for our halves, as SJs been injured, Metcalf out for the year, CHT injured, and TMM injury prone. What do we do if we get one more injury? Lily have to play one of the young guys so I'd rather that be Jett then any of the other young guys we have at the minute

I don't see how they would want to get Toby Sexton when they just got Jett Cleary. He's what 19, if he's good enough then we play him. If not, then we have to bide our time for 1 more year and that's when we might want to get him, but who wants to come across the ditch for 1 year?

edit: thinking more about it, Galvin is 19, Katoa was 19, Talagi is 19. I think Walsh was 18/19 when he played for us. We can definitely blood them. We need youth in our team or in 2 years time we are poked.
I don't think jett is in that same league though! I could be wrong.

Sexton is 23, a former Australian Schoolboy, 32 NRL & +60 games against men.
Jett's CV doesn't even have games against kids 20 & 21 years old yet.
It's apples vs oranges
Rightly or wrongly. Logically or Illogically. Makes sense or doesn't make sense. My understanding from reading between the lines of the articles is that Jett is coming here for 1st grade experience.

CHT, TMM & Metcalf have a combined 17 games in the NRL at Halfback. Sexton has 30.
Between our current 3 they scrape together 30 Reserve Grade games a #7 which ties Sexton despite him being 2 years younger than any of them
I think Metcalf will have the 7 jersey when SJ goes. He has been pretty vocal about his desire to play there and the club has shown plenty of faith in him.