Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Jett Cleary (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
The SJ article is interesting.

Get the feeling he might be angling for a 2 year deal reading between the lines.

Think a 2 year deal is fine though

The Muppet Show (NRL360) talking about Jerome Hughes are repeating their mantra from last week how clubs are not allowed to talk.

Last week Kent was happy to assume the Warriors had done something against the rules. Pretty much all of 2022 they were talking about Walsh signing with Broncos, Dolphins or any other club despite him being under contract.

Yes, he ended up leaving so where there was smoke there was fire. But the fact still stands he was under contract and they had no issue with it then.

The Muppet Show (NRL360) talking about Jerome Hughes are repeating their mantra from last week how clubs are not allowed to talk.

Last week Kent was happy to assume the Warriors had done something against the rules. Pretty much all of 2022 they were talking about Walsh signing with Broncos, Dolphins or any other club despite him being under contract.

Yes, he ended up leaving so where there was smoke there was fire. But the fact still stands he was under contract and they had no issue with it then.

I need to look again at the exact rules because if the rule is based on good will then it will never be adhered too.

Can anyone please confirm or elaborate on whether I have the below correct.

- You cannot formally negotiate or present a deal to a contracted player prior to November 1st (being the date at which they have 1 year to run)
- You can however discuss with a contracted player anything you like at any time, which might be what a deal might look like...

I also despise Kent putting this on the clubs when he knows all too well that player managers have more to do with this than anything else

One of the saifiti lads perhaps?

It would go a long way to keeping Barnett here.
They have Will Pryce and David Armstrong as fullbacks in top 30 already. Maybe they are sorted.
But yes if we could wrangle a Saifiti out of this I would say that would really elevate our team. But if you were them would you give a Saifiti up for Tuapiki?

I need to look again at the exact rules because if the rule is based on good will then it will never be adhered too.

Can anyone please confirm or elaborate on whether I have the below correct.

- You cannot formally negotiate or present a deal to a contracted player prior to November 1st (being the date at which they have 1 year to run)
- You can however discuss with a contracted player anything you like at any time, which might be what a deal might look like...

I also despise Kent putting this on the clubs when he knows all too well that player managers have more to do with this than anything else
I thought you couldn't lodge a contract with the NRL before that date

This post helps clear it up a fair bit:

Post in thread 'Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention' https://nzwarriors.com/threads/warriors-2024-2025-recruitment-retention.13/post-39209

Last edited:
I thought you couldn't lodge a contract with the NRL before that date

This post helps clear it up a fair bit:

Post in thread 'Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention' https://nzwarriors.com/threads/warriors-2024-2025-recruitment-retention.13/post-39209

Right, so it's actually a lot more loose than I thought. No wonder there have never been any punishments in this area.

You can negotiate with a player at any time, as long as the deal begins after their current contract.

So you can literally have an entire conversation about 2026 with the implicit knowledge that this is what you would get next year as well btw!

Or, with the likes of JFH discussions that "we would love to get you here one day, and this is what you would get if you ever decided to come here"

Right, so it's actually a lot more loose than I thought. No wonder there have never been any punishments in this area.

You can negotiate with a player at any time, as long as the deal begins after their current contract.

So you can literally have an entire conversation about 2026 with the implicit knowledge that this is what you would get next year as well btw!

Or, with the likes of JFH discussions that "we would love to get you here one day, and this is what you would get if you ever decided to come here"
With the JFH scenario it would appear Kent is suggesting we coerced JFH to break his contract early. From reading that article it looks like you can basically discuss with any contracted player about signing for your club after their existing contract finishes but you can't ask them to try and come earlier than that. This is where this compassionate grounds piece can get a bit murky potentially.