1. 2016
  2. 2017
  3. 2018
  4. 2019
  5. 2020
  6. 2021
  7. 2024
Signed From
Sydney Roosters, Auckland Blues (Rugby Union)
Rep Honours
  1. NZ
Awards/Honours
  1. Warriors Captain
  2. Warriors Player of the Year
  3. Golden Boot
  4. Dally M (Positional Award)
  5. Dally M (Overall)
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Tuivasa-Sheck
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/roger-tuivasa-sheck/summary.html
I think tmm has a lot of talent but certainly should be up in the line
demanding the ball.
Seems to be hanging back too often.
Oppositions loadings the right edge defense knowing that is our only attacking edge
Even when TMM got the ball in hand all he thought of was to try and jinx his way through the defence - passing or setting up those outside him didn't enter his head

Is Roger playing on the wrong side?

When we signed him and said he would play centre, I naturally assumed he would be right centre as he is a left foot stepper he would beat his man on the outside.

Obviously hasn't set the world on fire at left centre but a lot of talk that people at the game could hear the Dragons defence shouting 'left foot, left foot'. He doesn't head back in a lot...

Berry has not much more than a kick chase at the moment but I think many of us are asking for a bit more. Put Rog on the right, make it that killer edge.

I haven’t had a look at many of the previous posts around RTS , so this may have already been said …
Let’s unlock the LHS and give RTS a decent go.
SJ is the dominant player but they need to give TMM a decent run.

2. Roger might be a problem​

Let’s be real, however. The defence was good because there were shapes to defend and, for once, it looked like the Titans had seen them before.

Against Manly, they seemed shocked by the idea that Tom Trbojevic might turn up in a right side shape, somewhat quaint given Des coached him for four years.

This time, however, they’d done their homework and, despite conceding twice in the opening ten minutes to moves we’ve seen a hundred times, they did eventually kick into action.

What helped was that the Wahs have been running a lot of the same stuff for a whiel now.

There’s two pet plays – one to Addin Fonua-Blake, the other to Dallin Watene-Zelezniak – that they love, and once you start to stop them, there doesn’t seem to be much that follows.

Intrinsically, the Andrew Webster edition of the Warriors has been quite conservative.

They’ve got the lowest pass-per-run ratio (PPR) in the league, 1.16, tied with the Sharks and Broncos, but differ in that they also have one of the lowest hit up percentages (HU%).

What does that mean? If you look at the PPR of an expansive side, it’s either because they’re hitting the edges early – Manly, for example, are miles ahead on 1.36 – or low, because they play one-out for the first few tackles, then go wide, in which case you’d get a high HU% to go with it, as in the case of the Sharks and Bronx.

New Zealand have a low PPR and a low HU%. They also have an 81% completion rate, suggesting a focus on error-free footy over risk.

That’s lead to multiple games where they’ve piled on pressure, but not broken opponents. Cronulla, Canberra, Manly and now the Titans have made this side struggle.

An issue to follow is Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. His personal PPR was 1.2, with 15 runs from 18 possessions, compared to Rocco Berry, who was a round 2 with five runs from ten possessions.

Obviously, RTS is a great set starter, but it also speaks to a guy who isn’t getting the ball to the man outside of him.

Is that him? Is that defences knowing that he likes to step inside? Either way, it’s a block in their attack at the moment and one that Webster has to try to solve soon.

2. Roger might be a problem​

Let’s be real, however. The defence was good because there were shapes to defend and, for once, it looked like the Titans had seen them before.

Against Manly, they seemed shocked by the idea that Tom Trbojevic might turn up in a right side shape, somewhat quaint given Des coached him for four years.

This time, however, they’d done their homework and, despite conceding twice in the opening ten minutes to moves we’ve seen a hundred times, they did eventually kick into action.

What helped was that the Wahs have been running a lot of the same stuff for a whiel now.

There’s two pet plays – one to Addin Fonua-Blake, the other to Dallin Watene-Zelezniak – that they love, and once you start to stop them, there doesn’t seem to be much that follows.

Intrinsically, the Andrew Webster edition of the Warriors has been quite conservative.

They’ve got the lowest pass-per-run ratio (PPR) in the league, 1.16, tied with the Sharks and Broncos, but differ in that they also have one of the lowest hit up percentages (HU%).

What does that mean? If you look at the PPR of an expansive side, it’s either because they’re hitting the edges early – Manly, for example, are miles ahead on 1.36 – or low, because they play one-out for the first few tackles, then go wide, in which case you’d get a high HU% to go with it, as in the case of the Sharks and Bronx.

New Zealand have a low PPR and a low HU%. They also have an 81% completion rate, suggesting a focus on error-free footy over risk.

That’s lead to multiple games where they’ve piled on pressure, but not broken opponents. Cronulla, Canberra, Manly and now the Titans have made this side struggle.

An issue to follow is Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. His personal PPR was 1.2, with 15 runs from 18 possessions, compared to Rocco Berry, who was a round 2 with five runs from ten possessions.

Obviously, RTS is a great set starter, but it also speaks to a guy who isn’t getting the ball to the man outside of him.

Is that him? Is that defences knowing that he likes to step inside? Either way, it’s a block in their attack at the moment and one that Webster has to try to solve soon.
Nothing surprising there.

To be fair to RTS, he isn't getting a lot of quality ball. Most of his receives have either been turning him back on the inside or passes from dummy half hitting it up. Not great opportunities to showcase any great passing skills he may have. We definitely need to open up the left edge a lot more.

To be fair to RTS, he isn't getting a lot of quality ball. Most of his receives have either been turning him back on the inside or passes from dummy half hitting it up. Not great opportunities to showcase any great passing skills he may have. We definitely need to open up the left edge a lot more.
I've never thought of him as a quality distributor, so the lack of quality ball is only going to shine a spotlight on it further.

I never watched him in rugby, so maybe he got better. But an elite runner with a nice flick and the odd pass was how I remember him at fullback for us.

While I am not suggesting switching him to fb he has always been an individualist.
Dies with the ball a lot.
Great player but defence in the line is not great and was always going to find the transition hard

The question
Is he better than Adam Pompey
No.........

Pompey is a better defender and has more vision, the only thing with pompey is he's not as explosive. I would sub his pace for a better defender and passer at centre, just me though.

I do know that RTS would absolutely kill the wing spot for webby, more than Maontoya will at this stage.

He's a better runner than Montoya, I'm more convinced that CNK, RTS, and DWZ is a more lethal outside combo. Not the best defensively but will score more points. We lose absolutely nothing dropping Montoya and bringing Pompey in!

No.........

Pompey is a better defender and has more vision, the only thing with pompey is he's not as explosive. I would sub his pace for a better defender and passer at centre, just me though.

I do know that RTS would absolutely kill the wing spot for webby, more than Maontoya will at this stage.

He's a better runner than Montoya, I'm more convinced that CNK, RTS, and DWZ is a more lethal outside combo. Not the best defensively but will score more points. We lose absolutely nothing dropping Montoya and bringing Pompey in!
I think Montoya at centre and RTS at wing would have been better too. Would have given RTS and better introduction back in to playing in the frontline and work towards moving to centre. I actually think his defence has been ok but will be in for a real test against more heavily right edge attacking teams like the Panthers coming up.

I think Montoya at centre and RTS at wing would have been better too. Would have given RTS and better introduction back in to playing in the frontline and work towards moving to centre. I actually think his defence has been ok but will be in for a real test against more heavily right edge attacking teams like the Panthers coming up.
The biggest problem we have is defence so if you can't tackle at centre swapping to the wing or back to centre you shouldn't be playing fg.

No.........

Stevie Wonder has better vision than Pompey