Politics NZ Politics

This is Simeon Brown. This is National

"Work on renewable electricity storage has been halted by Brown, however, as one of his first acts as energy minister. Instead, he has repeatedly pointed to gas as the tool for both peaking and getting New Zealand through once-a-decade dry years, when hydro lake levels run low and extra generation is needed over winter."
don’t worry.
according to Labour and everyone’s favourite BlackRock, we’re going to have 100% renewable electricity by 2030 anyway.

good fucking luck.

that news really kinda flew under the radar too. i’m surprised there wasn’t a lot more noise about it.

Last edited:
I’m going to disagree and then agree. Stopping renewables is smart, especially in NZ. But pushing gas is retarded. It’s expensive as fuck.

Can you guys build out more hydro?
The same thing happened also under the previous Government. Autumn is a low load time of the year so the Generation Companies plan their maintenance around this time of the year. Three generation plants, including two hydro plants, were out for maintenance so weren’t available to provide generation this morning for an unseasonal polar blast overnight (so no solar generation) and no wind (so no wind generation). Reliance on renewals to the extent NZ (and the rest of the world has) isn’t the answer a large number of people think it is.

In terms of new hydro, environmental groups have gained so much influence, the latest one planned as part of the water system for Hawkes Bay, was stopped due to intense lobbying. It seems for now, the only new generation “allowed” by the environmentalists will be wind, solar and geothermal (and only one of those isn’t subject to nature due to lack of wind or light).

It would have been interesting to see how the green lobby groups would have reacted to Labour’s proposed NZ Battery or Pumped Hydro scheme at Lake Onslow.

The same thing happened also under the previous Government. Autumn is a low load time of the year so the Generation Companies plan their maintenance around this time of the year. Three generation plants, including two hydro plants, were out for maintenance so weren’t available to provide generation this morning for an unseasonal polar blast overnight (so no solar generation) and no wind (so no wind generation). Reliance on renewals to the extent NZ (and the rest of the world has) isn’t the answer a large number of people think it is.

In terms of new hydro, environmental groups have gained so much influence, the latest one planned as part of the water system for Hawkes Bay, was stopped due to intense lobbying. It seems for now, the only new generation “allowed” by the environmentalists will be wind, solar and geothermal (and only one of those isn’t subject to nature due to lack of wind or light).

It would have been interesting to see how the green lobby groups would have reacted to Labour’s proposed NZ Battery or Pumped Hydro scheme at Lake Onslow.
I hope green voters led the way by reducing power this morning. Seen as they caused all these problems 🤣

I hope green voters led the way by reducing power this morning. Seen as they caused all these problems 🤣
One of the few things the Nats in the 1990’s got right was to introduce government grants for people to put in solar hot water systems. Problem was that people willing to put them in were the wealthy who could afford them.

When Helen Clark got in, part of the agreement with the Greens for their support was to change the scheme. The grant was changed so that it would only be available to those who put in a system specified by the government…. which was a very low grade but “affordable” system. The problem was, the specified system was so crappy, only a few were installed and most of the hot water solar system industry in NZ disappeared over night as they refused to install them. One of the things they did was to specify a really low grade hot water cylinder when the minimum cylinder should have been a stainless steel cylinder. The government was warned that the solar panels specified wouldn’t last long in NZ because of our UV exposure.

Unlucky. Get used to constant power price hikes. Ours have doubled in 3 years

One of the few things the Nats in the 1990’s got right was to introduce government grants for people to put in solar hot water systems. Problem was that people willing to put them in were the wealthy who could afford them.
Solar panel subsidies are middle class welfare. And all it does is drive up the cost of electricity for everyone else. It’s amazing how much sway the green cult have over politicians and their “reality”

Solar panel subsidies are middle class welfare. And all it does is drive up the cost of electricity for everyone else. It’s amazing how much sway the green cult have over politicians and their “reality”
How does it drive prices up exactly, because of the cost of solar energy sold back to the grid?

and…
good for them, man.
Farout. Always loved Danniverke, nice little town, like a preserved relic of the past. Hope she's able to sustain a business there eventually. $46K a year income is eye-raising, but yeah good on her and the system for investing in her and her kids.

How does it drive prices up exactly, because of the cost of solar energy sold back to the grid?
Because of economic ROI. If everyone uses the grid at full potential, the cost of using it is spread evenly across all uses. Now let’s introduce solar and compare two household. First house has solar and reduces its power consumption by 50%. Has the cost required to get the remaining 50% delivered dropped ? Nope.

Next look at value. Not all energy is equal, hence demand pricing. The value of solar produced during the day is worthless. That’s why prices go negative. So not only are you using less, you are making the electricity company pay for something that has no value. Then to top it off, solar users jump on the grid at peak driving demand up.

So network operators have to recoup the extra costs, so they increase the supply charge and $/KWh. And who pays that? The 2nd household with no solar.

Next look at value. Not all energy is equal, hence demand pricing. The value of solar produced during the day is worthless. That’s why prices go negative. So not only are you using less, you are making the electricity company pay for something that has no value. Then to top it off, solar users jump on the grid at peak driving demand up.
I see. How is it worthless though if it can be sold cheap to a private provider, stored and then onsold at peak time at a profit? Doesn't that negate the negative value for the consumer and provider? If solar users are effectively subsiding a private entity, how is the non-solar consumer worse off?

I see. How is it worthless though if it can be sold cheap to a private provider, stored and then onsold at peak time at a profit? Doesn't that negate the negative value for the consumer and provider? If solar users are effectively subsiding a private entity, how is the non-solar consumer worse off?
It can’t be sold that’s why the value is negative. Owners get paid to store at negative prices.

That’s the problem with solar the more you build the more there is. Too much when it’s sunny none at night.

Not sure if I'm too stupid to get my head around this, or if the whole system is idiotic.
It’s the latter. The system was never designed for renewables, if it was, feed in tariffs wouldn’t exist.

Look at Australia solar panels subsidised, electricity subsidised, battery subsidised, EVs subsidised, And now because the price of power is skyrocketing Queensland is having to hand out $1000 per household. $2.3 billion.

It's surprising how things can change so quickly in the polls in just 12 days.

The 1News poll from 29 April had a Labour led coalition with 64 seats in Parliament (Labour 40, Greens 18 and Te Pāti Māori 6) and a National led opposition with only 57 seats (National 48 and ACT 9) and NZ First not over the 5% threshold.

A really bad week for the Greens and fast forward 12 days and the latest Curia Poll poll today has a National led coalition with 66 seats (National 47, ACT 12 and NZ First 7) and a Labour led opposition with only 56 seats (Labour 37, Greens 13 and Te Pāti Māori 6).

Both polls assume that Te Pāti Māori hold their six electorates.

Last edited:
Farout. Always loved Danniverke, nice little town, like a preserved relic of the past. Hope she's able to sustain a business there eventually. $46K a year income is eye-raising, but yeah good on her and the system for investing in her and her kids.
danniverke is great if you’re a fan of vikings or socks or you just want to go somewhere quiet to die. ha, just kidding.

i don’t even know why, but i’m surprised you’re able to buy a house while on the benefit. i’d have thought winz would be cunts about it.

i’m not arguing it, i’m just surprised the accommodation supplement would go from topping up your rent each week to being able to cover a new mortgage?!

what a time to be alive.
it’s obviously there for the taking so good on her for taking up the shit that’s available to her.

sent from my iPhone
neoliberalism

Last edited:
Would you describe the services pension paid to those before the national age of retirement 100% welfare?
Of course it is.

Edit for clarity* I am such a recipient. DVA Gold Card for injuries sustained. Im on a full ride for life, full medical, the lot. I choose to put the money into businesses to employ people and build capital.

But I am under no illusions, it is welfare.

Of course it is.

Edit for clarity* I am such a recipient. DVA Gold Card for injuries sustained. Im on a full ride for life, full medical, the lot. I choose to put the money into businesses to employ people and build capital.

But I am under no illusions, it is welfare.
Thought that was how you would see it.
I see an element of compensation and backloading of income related to time served. Especially as services income is not great.

Back