Politics NZ Politics

Cigarettes, mining, farming, real estate, the trucking and roading lobby, real estate, landlords, realestate, landlords, horse racing, gambling, privatisation, fossil fuels, tax cuts for the rich, running the public sector down deliberately and on and on and on.

Take your pick Frank
Thats not a summation of the article. Elaborate accounting tricks are many things, but corrupt they are not.

Mining and farming are essential to the economy and civilisation. Fossil fuels are responsible for 5 billion people being alive. You just typed a Green Party grievance list and tacked it onto an entirely unrelated subject being Bernard Keane's article.

Thats not a summation of the article. Elaborate accounting tricks are many things, but corrupt they are not.

Mining and farming are essential to the economy and civilisation. Fossil fuels are responsible for 5 billion people being alive. You just typed a Green Party grievance list and tacked it onto an entirely unrelated subject being Bernard Keane's article.
They're corrupt. Unrelated to the article.

You do realise the government is allowing local bodies to borrow more money for infrastructure and that companies like Standard and Poors set the credit rating standards based on the councils and their organisations ability to pay it back, their income and expenditure and their asset base to debt ratios.

Government are allowing them to borrow more….. if that borrowing is too much that it effects the councils or their organisations credit rating, that’s their responsibility…. not central government.

You do realise that there is only one country in the world which decided it would try to follow Scottish Water by establishing its own version…. NZ. If the Scottish Water way of doing things was so good, why haven’t other countries adopted it? Think of this, before Scottish Water came into being, it was estimated that just over 20% of water leaked from their system, now it’s over 30%. Smaller cities and towns water infrastructure has deteriorated there while only slight improvements have happened to the major cities…. despite them receiving the bulk of the funding.

TBH, I would rather we had looked at what they are doing right in an earthquake city like Tokyo where their water leakage is less than 10% and adopted that here nationally than do things like complaining that a water leakage of over 30% was happening in Wellington. I’d rather that central government funding was available for new water treatment plants in smaller communities like Havelock North than have a centralised bureaucracy. I’d rather we concentrated on outcomes than ideology.
What's the Tokyo model, is it central govt funded? Can we afford similar water infrastructure given our tiny scale economy?

Government actually keeping the free lunches in schools as well as 10,000 lunches for some preschoolers, commend them for that.
‘Forget quinoa, couscous and hummus. We'll be doing more with less money to feed kids the fruit and sandwiches their parents would.

Sounds like a plan!

Now repeat those same back to basic and more efficiencies across health, education, crime and the economy!

‘Forget quinoa, couscous and hummus. We'll be doing more with less money to feed kids the fruit and sandwiches their parents would.

Sounds like a plan!

Now repeat those same back to basic and more efficiencies across health, education, crime and the economy!
1715148297208.png

Act - dicktating what people eat. Not very libertarian.

View attachment 7168
dictating what people eat or streamlining a free service to cut costs?

it’s FREE lunch that a week or two ago you were screeching about being stolen.

i can’t think of many things that are free where everyone gets to just pick, choose and personalize what they’d like and how they receive it.

dictating what people eat or streamlining a free service to cut costs?

it’s FREE lunch that a week or two ago you were screeching about being stolen.

i can’t think of many things that are free where everyone gets to just pick, choose and personalize what they’d like and how they receive it.
Like all these things Marv there's depth and we're not presented with all the facts, just culture war bullshit from Act

Like all these things Marv there's depth and we're not presented with all the facts, just culture war bullshit from Act
mate, i don’t like them anymore than you do but i think you’re maybe overanalyzing things a bit. it must be a stressful stressful place inside that head of yours.

the kids are staying fed.
let’s move onto the next thing.

mate, i don’t like them anymore than you do but i think you’re maybe overanalyzing things a bit. it must be a stressful stressful place inside that head of yours.

the kids are staying fed.
let’s move onto the next thing.
My head's fine thanks. But facts are important, and a degraded outcome should be identified as such.

Given this is a manufactured recession and all these so called savings (read slash and burn) seem to be to pay for a landlord tax break of billions and a tax cut this country can't afford, speaking out should be the least we can do.

If the warriors won though it might give me something else to think about.

Sounds like a plan!

I can’t understand why the average price for the school lunches that are currently being provided is $8!

Maybe I am a cheapskate, but I’m pretty sure my ones cost less than that

Haha well I am. But I am such a cheapskate that I mostly have leftovers for my lunch. Maybe once a week I’ll buy lunch, for say $15. But on average my lunch costs are quite low

But sushi is woke, and I don’t want people to see me eating it and thinking i am some sort of greenie protester
So every single japanese person is woke?

What does woke actually mean to you?

Given this is a manufactured recession…
Let’s explore this one.

The Reserve Bank is creating a recession to fight inflation.

We have inflation issues because our economy was ‘overheated’ and couldn’t meet demand, hence prices rose.

A big part of this was because Labour chose to ideologically constrict the Labour supply to force up wages.

They did this by: turning off immigration for way to long (I had an employee wait 2 years with a visa application after INZ shut up shop); deliberately ran a record low unemployment rate when it should have risen; soaked up labour into the public sector; etc

Evidence - lack of staff everywhere, shops and restaurants unable to open through lack of staff; factories unable to supply product; lack of police, teachers, fire fighters; etc. this was all by Labours choice years after covid.

This was an ideological decision to restrict Labour supply and force up wages. Fairy dust doesn’t work. Unfortunately, it ended in strong domestic inflation and a necessary recession to slow demand and rebalance the supply of labour

Last edited:
So every single japanese person is woke?

What does woke actually mean to you?
We’re NZ not Japan. In a NZ context it’s sandwiches and fruit.

Woke is making illogical/ biased decisions that are more expensive; with less uptake and more waste to appease a minority.

So in a NZ school context Sushi is woke, even though I like sushi!

Back