Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It is yes. Houses are not left empty until it suits the tenant. There will be no tenants coming directly from the private sector.
They are empty because KO is not doing their job properly, that is the issue. Meanwhile, those desperately in need of those places are unable to access them.
None coming from the private sector? I find that hard to believe. Some landlords will take advantage of vulnerable people. But okay I'll take your word for it.

From your experience how long does a new tenant get to move in? And how long does it take to decouple a tenant from a new state house if they have been allocated it?

None coming from the private sector? I find that hard to believe. Some landlords will take advantage of vulnerable people. But okay I'll take your word for it.

From your experience how long does a new tenant get to move in? And how long does it take to decouple a tenant from a new state house if they have been allocated it?
None from the private sector. Those that already rent in the private sector are already housed.
My experience is that the new tenants are waiting on the day it is ready, they are desperate for housing.
Those in greatest need are tenanted first and as you know many are living in motels, over crowded with relatives, living in cars or homeless. It is farcical to believe tenants are plucked from private rentals to become a state tenant, that has not happened for about 30 years.

None from the private sector. Those that already rent in the private sector are already housed.
My experience is that the new tenants are waiting on the day it is ready, they are desperate for housing.
Those in greatest need are tenanted first and as you know many are living in motels, over crowded with relatives, living in cars or homeless. It is farcical to believe tenants are plucked from private rentals to become a state tenant, that has not happened for about 30 years.
And my other questions?

And my other questions?
They sign the tenancy agreement and start paying rent from the start date in the tenancy agreement. There is little or no lag time between the tenancy starting and moving in. I won't repeat where most of the tenants are coming from so you should be able to understand their housing situations are not good.
Not sure what you mean about decoupling a tenant from a new state house if they have been allocated it. If you mean they have decided they don't want to move in before the start of the tenancy, that is okay, the next person on the list would be notified immediately. If a tenant accepts then turns down a property it is usually their one and only chance to get a state house.
Also remember that the waiting list is about 25000. The reality is, most of those on the list will never be offered a house at the current rate of houses being available, this is nothing new by the way.

Serious question for you. What’s it like being an expert on absolutely everything? It must be frustrating to go through life having to listen to all the rest of us dribblers.
THis is basic logic, reasoning and mathematics.

Okay here some basic questions.

1. How long does it take to be registered on KOs waitlist?
  2. How long for a property to be assigned?
  3. How long between those two events?
  4. What % of of those people find private sector accommodation in the interim since *the* claim is 0% are coming from there?
  5. Whats the timeframe for reassigning a house?

Now I dont know what those times are, so I naturally assume a few days here and there which can quickly add up to a month. The counter argument being all these timeframes are not only instantaneous, but also simultaneous. Which to me is astounding.

But i defer to your intellect on this one.

Last edited:
They sign the tenancy agreement and start paying rent from the start date in the tenancy agreement. There is little or no lag time between the tenancy starting and moving in. I won't repeat where most of the tenants are coming from so you should be able to understand their housing situations are not good.
Not sure what you mean about decoupling a tenant from a new state house if they have been allocated it. If you mean they have decided they don't want to move in before the start of the tenancy, that is okay, the next person on the list would be notified immediately. If a tenant accepts then turns down a property it is usually their one and only chance to get a state house.
Also remember that the waiting list is about 25000. The reality is, most of those on the list will never be offered a house at the current rate of houses being available, this is nothing new by the way.
Whats the timeframe in hours between a property being completed and a tenant moving in?

THis is basic logic, reasoning and mathematics.

Okay here some basic questions.

1. How long does it take to be registered on KOs waitlist?
  2. How long for a property to be assigned?
  3. How long between those two events?
  4. What % of of those people find private sector accommodation in the interim since you claim 0% are coming from there?
  5. Whats the timeframe for reassigning a house?

Now I dont know what those times are, so I naturally assume a few days here and there which can quickly add up to a month. The counter argument being all these timeframes are not only instantaneous, but also simultaneous. Which to me is astounding.

But i defer to your intellect on this one.
I wouldn’t have a clue. The only thing I can really add on the topic, which I’m sure is already well known, is that KO has been paying massive premiums to buy land & all the other industry players are upset about it.

There clearly is some lag, some of the time if 200 properties are not moved in to by the allocated tenant. Based on your experience, is there a cutoff for time taken to move in before the house is offered to someone else? Is there a process that has to be gone through before KO can just remove the allocation?

I know you’ve asked Dean this but I hope you don’t mind me answering it as our current tenants are shifting out tomorrow. The property manager has arranged for a painter to remove some wallpaper and paint the walls in the bathroom and on Monday, cleaners are coming in. Provided it passes the final inspection, the new tenants move in on Wednesday.

BUT, the private market properties looked after by a property manager is quite different from charity owed houses and state houses. Why? Because a property manager for a charity or state house earns his or her salary regardless of whether the house is rented or not. The owner of our property manager doesn’t earn his fee of the rent if the property isn’t rented.

Even a private landlord who manages their own property/properties will try and get new tenants in as quickly as possible to keep either the income coming in or the mortgage and other expenses paid.

It’s the same when private building consent certifiers were able to process building consents and undertake inspections. They wanted repeat business so they would look at their clients unlike council who had “a captive audience” and treated people poorly.

I know you’ve asked Dean this but I hope you don’t mind me answering it as our current tenants are shifting out tomorrow. The property manager has arranged for a painter to remove some wallpaper and paint the walls in the bathroom and on Monday, cleaners are coming in. Provided it passes the final inspection, the new tenants move in on Wednesday.

BUT, the private market properties looked after by a property manager is quite different from charity owed houses and state houses. Why? Because a property manager for a charity or state house earns his or her salary regardless of whether the house is rented or not. The owner of our property manager doesn’t earn his fee of the rent if the property isn’t rented.

Even a private landlord who manages their own property/properties will try and get new tenants in as quickly as possible to keep either the income coming in or the mortgage and other expenses paid.

It’s the same when private building consent certifiers were able to process building consents and undertake inspections. They wanted repeat business so they would look at their clients unlike council who had a ”captive audience” and treated people poorly.
So nearly a week, on a non new build, with a fixed exit date tenant (assumption), in the private sector....

Whats the timeframe in hours between a property being completed and a tenant moving in?
Ruapehu District Council and Kāinga Ora’s $5.2 million housing development has blown out by over $2 million to $7.5 million according to a Crown Infrastructure Partners’ contracted projects document. Stage 1 is 44 lots.

“Ohakune has virtually no social services, no local GP, and a population of just over 1,500 people. With just 11 families on the current Ministry of Social Development Housing Register in Ohakune, it would have made far more sense to absorb applicants into existing stock, and reduce barriers to renting out existing private properties.

In all likelihood, when these 44 houses are built most of them will stay empty with only 11 families waiting. KO at its finest.

I have some questions
Are the kainga ora houses being built where the need is?
What areas (towns, cities) have the highest houseless stats?
I'm assuming those are known so are the new houses being built in those areas accordingly?
Or are the houseless expected to move to where the houses are being built in other areas?

I have some questions
Are the kainga ora houses being built where the need is?
What areas (towns, cities) have the highest houseless stats?
I'm assuming those are known so are the new houses being built in those areas accordingly?
Or are the houseless expected to move to where the houses are being built in other areas?
According to Dean the houseless magically appear there the day its built.

So nearly a week, on a non new build, with a fixed exit date tenant (assumption), in the private sector....
Of course, it depends on the state the house is left in as to how long between tenants.… the longer the repairs, the longer between tenants. We’ve also been fortunate that both our tenants have allowed open homes while they were still there…. some tenants won’t do that (which is their right to refuse) so the process for showing people through a property may not be able to begin before a house is vacant although advertising it as being available for inspection from a certain date could start straight away.

Because of the extension to the healthy homes timelines, some landlords may need longer if they choose the inter tenancy time to upgrade the property or may just take that time to renovate kitchens or bathrooms.

Back