General Mt Smart Stadium

The quay Park proposal is pretty futuristic it would be the best looking stadium in the world.
Geez imagine the Warriors running out there....
Right time to wake up I don't think it will happen, more chance of Old Eden Park being rebuild
I just went through the video for that one. It is ambitious with such a futuristic building being built. You would think if the toned it down a bit and built a more realistic looking stadium the costs would come down. I suspect building those shapes would cost a lot.

Gould mentioned on his Podcast about the urban stadiums that the clubs lose money. They need to be moving to 40-50k stadiums. He mentioned the new Sydney stadiums and also how Vegas showed where they should be aiming.

Here in NZ I can see us struggling building that. But something like the new Sydney Stadiums or Suncorp should be realistic.

Mind you Auckland Council will approve a proposal. Then the financing is......................... who knows.

The Quay Park is the dream.

But I have the sinking feeling we'll end up with an Eden Park rebuild
Will be interesting as one of the main points raised for these submissions has been how it will be funded. Can't see how Eden Park rebuild will pass the test.

The Quay Park is the dream.

But I have the sinking feeling we'll end up with an Eden Park rebuild
I’ll have a look for it but I’d read somewhere that KiwiRail were opposed to it because of the effect on the Panmure rail line. Be interesting if a Minister of the new government approves it despite objections from the likes of KiwiRail under the fast track changes to the RMA.

Will be interesting as one of the main points raised for these submissions has been how it will be funded. Can't see how Eden Park rebuild will pass the test.
I’ll have a look for it but I’d read somewhere that KiwiRail were opposed to it because of the effect on the Panmure rail line. Be interesting if a Minister of the new government approves it despite objections from the likes of KiwiRail under the fast track changes to the RMA.
I could see a scenario something the Eden Park Trust cedes ownership but keeping a small amount board power for it to go ahead.

I love the Quay Park design - don't mind the location / I love the idea of an iconic precinct that can revitalise an area - but realistically we're a teeny city that struggles getting there visionary / grand scale ideas happening

I could see a scenario something the Eden Park Trust cedes ownership but keeping a small amount board power for it to go ahead.

I love the Quay Park design - don't mind the location / I love the idea of an iconic precinct that can revitalise an area - but realistically we're a teeny city that struggles getting there visionary / grand scale ideas happening
As much as I’d like something closer in to the city, I can see them pulling down three stands and rebuilding EP into a rectangular stadium with a sound proof roof and moving cricket to a new venue.

But, if they were to do that, the ancient law governing Eden Park and the town planning rules about it need to be changed to, firstly, allow more concerts which it needs to be financially viable and, secondly, remove the restrictions on EP#2 so it can be developed into commercial, hotels and apartments and use the money from that for the EPTB to pay back their debts and fund the rebuild of the main stadium. For both central and local government to say they won’t allow development of EP#2 because of laws and town planning rules they can alter, is just plain stupid.

The EPTB could even keep the freehold to the land developed and turn into leasehold land…. giving them an additional source of revenue from the ground rent.

There was a fair bit of disagreement about whether Dunedin could afford a stadium or needed a stadium or wanted one. Now, I don't know if anyone is against it. Need to make a call on Quay Park or Wynward point and just get it done.
I think our council has close to a billion dollars of debt. We couldn't afford it and still can't.

Stadium cost $250 million ish?
Dunedin's project cost $224 million with the bulk coming from the Dunedin City Council ($163 million), Otago Regional Council ($38 million), and central Government ($15 million).

Dunedin's project cost $224 million with the bulk coming from the Dunedin City Council ($163 million), Otago Regional Council ($38 million), and central Government ($15 million).
And it looks like it has bought much more than that in economic benefit to the city, added to the infrastructure and the community, lead to increased development around the stadium etc.

The debt the council now has doesn't seem to be a direct result of the stadium?

And it looks like it has bought much more than that in economic benefit to the city, added to the infrastructure and the community, lead to increased development around the stadium etc.

The debt the council now has doesn't seem to be a direct result of the stadium?
They have to pay the concert promoters to have shows at the stadium.

Thats a pretty dire with the new Chch stadium not far away

They have to pay the concert promoters to have shows at the stadium.

Thats a pretty dire with the new Chch stadium not far away
Yes, company running the stadium does.

With Chch coming soon they will definitely have to work hard to ensure there are enough worthwhile events being held.

Doesn't the billionaire owner of the new Auckland FC want to build a stadium too?
He does….. with a 20K capacity. Why doesn’t he just same Auckland Council from further embarrassment and buy North Harbour Stadium from them?

I get the feeling too many people are captivated by the pretty pictures of Quay Park without really thinking things through. At the moment, our National Stadium is privately owned by Auckland Cricket and the ARU. Do we really want to go down the same path by having a Stadium owned by a private consortium?

Back