Contributor

2021 - St Pauls College 1st V Basketball
2023 - St Pauls College 1st XV
2023 - St Pauls College 1st XIII
2023 - Auckland RU Gulls U18
2024 - Warriors SG Ball

Last edited:

1st XV vs Auckland Grammar School Match Report​

The 1st XV played their third home game of the season against Auckland Grammar School on Saturday 24 June. A game that saw members of the 1st XV Old Boys of 1963 team gather to remember the last time St Paul's beat AGS 6-3 at home. This game was always going to be a tough encounter against a clinical Auckland Grammar team who currently sit fifth on the 1A table.

The first ten minutes of the game was a start to forget with St Paul's College allowing a charge down try within two minutes and three minutes later a poor read on defence allowed Grammar in for another easy try. Within the first ten minutes of the game the score read 14-0 to Grammar with St Paul's still stuck in first gear. In very heavy conditions the St Paul's forwards finally started to build momentum through their direct running and pick and goes lead by powerful hooker Noah Hetutu-Davis who proved unstoppable with ball in hand. Malachi Filipo showed his class in the lineouts allowing loose forwards Sifa Teisi, Maselino Va'auli and pocket rocket John Matini to carry the ball strongly in heavy conditions.

The second half saw the home side St Paul's College dominate early possession through a strong kicking game by replacement 1st 5/8 Tyrone Hurt-Pickering and half back Ben Tohi. For St Paul's 2nd 5/8 Atapana Su'a showed his strength with some strong carries while centre Jeriko Filipi-Talisau again had a strong game. Auckland Grammar showed their class in the second half by scoring first but the home team never stopped trying and were awarded a well earned try to powerful workhorse lock forward Waka Tate and converted by Tyrone Hurt-Pickering. Another Year 11, Ezekiel Davidson Faaiuaso, also made his debut for the 1st XV coming on late in the second half.

The final score was 24-7 to Auckland Grammar School who proved their class on the day by scoring 4 tries to St Paul's 1 try. The team now shift their focus to the last four games of the season. This weekend sees our 1st XV line up against local neighbours Mt Albert Grammar School, definitely a winnable game for St Paul's if they can get off to a good start and build early momentum to post early points.

New Zealand Resident Clubs Boys v National Secondary Schools Boys

New Zealand Resident Clubs Boys 30-22

This intense clash saw heavy contact and excellent ball play from both 18s boys sides as they battled for the full 70 minutes. The Clubs team came out firing, with Captain Rodney Tuipulotu-Vea scoring first after an opportunity created by a kick from half Maui Winitana-Patelesio. Winitana-Patelesio was also successful for three conversions in the match. The NZ Resident Clubs side continued to dominate the first half, scoring three more tries bringing the score to 20-0 at halftime. The Schools side made a resurgence in the second half after prop forward Malachi Filipo crossed to put their first points on the board. They maintained momentum scoring two more consecutive tries but were ultimately outlasted by the Clubs boys, who went on to win the game 30-22.

NRL: Filipo's belated debut worth the wait​

21 May, 2011 05:40 PM
w1200_h64578_fmax.jpg

Marvin Filipo of the Knights makes a break. Photo / Getty Images

When Marvin Filipo played a trial match for the New Zealand Warriors against St George Illawarra in 2004 he never imagined it would take another seven years to celebrate his National Rugby League (NRL) debut.

As a teenager Filipo was in the same Junior Kiwis team as Issac Luke, Simon Mannering and Frank-Paul Nuuausala in 2004-05 and assumed he was on track for a smooth progression to first grade.

Yet as that trio built careers as professional footballers - and fully-fledged internationals - Filipo languished in Brisbane club rugby, and then park football while concreting, plumbing and labouring.

Filipo had been included in the Warriors senior squad in 2006 but the 19-year-old never made a match day 17.

At the end of that season the outside back made an unwise career move. His agent demanded an upgrade, the Warriors wouldn't budge, so he headed for the Brisbane Broncos feeder club.

But he never fitted in so Filipo switched codes for six months before homesickness hastened his return to Otara.

"I blame myself for leaving the Warriors. Back then I wasn't worried about the money, I just wanted a shot at playing," he told NZPA.

Filipo took a break from football in south Auckland until his agent said a country club in New South Wales had vacancies.

So he joined the Nelson Bay Northern Blues, but it was a painful experience because Filipo broke his jaw and popped a shoulder.

The Blues still supported him so Filipo felt he owed them another season in 2009 although he had moved to Sydney and joined a courier firm.

"I did it hard. I caught the train, three hours every Saturday so I could pay them back."

That dedication was rewarded with selection in a NSW country side, an accolade that piqued the Newcastle Knights interest.

Making the Central Coast Centurions in last year's NSW Cup was the move Filipo had been yearning for since exiting the Warriors and so was a positional switch to the second row.

"I thought this is my last crack so I'll give it a big go and it was the best season I've had in the last five years," he said.

His coach Rip Taylor issued encouraging updates to Knights counterpart Rick Stone and when one-test Kiwi Zeb Taia and Cory Paterson succumbed to injury Filipo was finally earmarked for promotion.

Filipo was 18th man against the Canberra Raiders and Melbourne Storm and when Paterson couldn't complete training two weeks ago his debut was set for last Sunday -- ironically against the Warriors.

"Man, I almost broke down, I almost cried. I called my sister in Sydney and said 'things might just be looking up for me'," he said.

For Filipo, who turned 24 in March, it was a massive turnaround after the part-time jobs and a sentence to 300 hours community service following an altercation outside a Newcastle kebab shop in late 2008.

"I've come a long way and I'm just happy to be here," he said.

"I never thought of playing for the Knights. I just wanted enough money to support my family."

He signed an incentive-based contract last month and can now wire money back to mum, dad and his five-year-old son Malachi.

"When I was 15 until I left New Zealand I was always helping my family out. For a couple of years I couldn't but now I've got enough to live on and send some (money) back."

Filipo is naturally keen for his stocks to rise even further in 2011 considering the legendary Wayne Bennett replaces Stone as head coach.

Still, if he doesn't figure in Bennett's plans Filipo will always have fond memories of his 48 minutes against the Warriors at Ausgrid Stadium.

"It was a dream come true for me, the best feeling in the world," said Filipo, who made an offload, line break, three tackle busts and 106m of go forward.

The Knights were overtaken in the last seven minutes to lose 16-25 but Filipo was still satisfied, especially after Mannering and assistant coach Tony Iro caught up after the game.

"I'm proud they recognised me," he said.

Now Filipo is looking forward to reacquainting with Nuuausala, another old mate, after Stone retained him on the interchange bench for tomorrow's match against the Roosters at the Sydney Football Stadium.

- NZPA

Back