Social Fishing thread

Used to love jigging some squid and using them to chase kings on the south coast of nsw

Also used to love walking NZ rivers and flicking flies and spinners at trout

these days with the kids I’m mostly just chasing Australian salmon off the beach. Great fun, not so great eating

Never had the patience for fishing, which was wierd given i worked at Killwell Sports for a couple of years actually making fishing rods (still get the hook ups from their if anyones after anything). Was a kid with too much energy so keeping still was never a thing for me.

However i will go diving and especially floundering.....love them. Bit of flour, salt and pepper, on the barbeque, finsh with lemon juice....yum. Normally go to Pukehina or take the net out to an inlet by Opotoki.

I used to buy Kilwell.

Owned a few Jelly tips, my favorite was a light telescopic Jelly tip.

The company has a good rep for making decent gear.

Yeah Flounder are awesome.

Used to love jigging some squid and using them to chase kings on the south coast of nsw

Also used to love walking NZ rivers and flicking flies and spinners at trout

these days with the kids I’m mostly just chasing Australian salmon off the beach. Great fun, not so great eating

Those Salmon/Kahawai are great to eat if you are into Sashimi, or the coconut cream style raw fish.

As you will know already, they go well in stews especially smoked fillets, I do mine in a basic Curry bro.

I have been told by a number of fisho's that their go to Kingy bait is live squid. I do have the gear for squid, just not the lures (have a light spinning rod 1-3kg with a flexi tip that would do a job).

Ever eat your squid Fonzie?

Last edited:
I used to net my own bait, so yellow eyed mullet and sprats. Either a half or whole fish, two hooks straylined depending on the current.
If the current required a 4-5 oz sinker to stay in contact with the bottom, then a ledger rig with cubes of sprat or yellow eyed mullet.
Bait is expensive so I've always caught my own.

Nets the way eh bro.

When I am organized and going large for land base I try hit the local warf for baitfish before a mish.

But that requires some bait unless you are really good with sabikis and prepared to 'work them'.

Last edited:
Those Salmon/Kahawai are great to eat if you are into Sashimi, or the coconut cream style raw fish.

As you will know already, they go well in stews especially smoked fillets, I do mine in a basic Curry bro.

I have been told by a number of fisho's that their go to Kingy bait is live squid. I do have the gear for squid, just not the lures (have a light spinning rod 1-3kg with a flexi tip that would do a job).

Ever eat your squid Fonzie?
Sure do mate. The kings and I are usually competing for the squid!

Where I fish, live/fresh squid would outfish live/fresh yellowtail or mackerel about 5:1 for kingfish. No comparison.

Just got home from a simple Surfcasting session with one of my Sons. We headed out to Clarks beach boat Ramp to get away from all the fishos and swimmers that are on holiday in Aucks.
Beautiful evening for it, high tide and sunset coinciding.

Fishing was quiet on the whole, only had about four decent hits and my boy landed a Kahawai, so we were rapt.

Nice community that, locals happy to tell you where to try and other pointers.

The fishing is better there around march April from the shore with Kahawai runs and King fish - the odd Gurnard and Trevally....well that is what I have been told / read on the NZ fishing website.

I wouldn't say it is an area I know. Been there a few times but hardly got local knowledge.

A guy fishing next to us caught a short tail Ray - common by catch on the Manukau.

Just got home from a simple Surfcasting session with one of my Sons. We headed out to Clarks beach boat Ramp to get away from all the fishos and swimmers that are on holiday in Aucks.
Beautiful evening for it, high tide and sunset coinciding.

Fishing was quiet on the whole, only had about four decent hits and my boy landed a Kahawai, so we were rapt.

Nice community that, locals happy to tell you where to try and other pointers.

The fishing is better there around march April from the shore with Kahawai runs and King fish - the odd Gurnard and Trevally....well that is what I have been told / read on the NZ fishing website.

I wouldn't say it is an area I know. Been there a few times but hardly got local knowledge.

A guy fishing next to us caught a short tail Ray - common by catch on the Manukau.
Glad you got out Sup. There are millions of rays in the Manukau.

Glad you got out Sup. There are millions of rays in the Manukau.
Kelly Tarltons bring their Sharks and Rays in at Bottle Top Bay boat ramp.

I had had a yarn with them about it while they were loading up a Shark there onto the back of their truck.

The Shark was in a Metal box shaped just like a Coffin with a perspex window where the head is.

Dunno what they used to transport the big Rays in / cannot have been easy.

Sure do get monsters in the Manukau and mega numbers.

Kinda lucky- I live on a lake and have a jetty and little tinny. Me and the boy cast a line out a couple of times a week- mostly catch brim, get the odd Trivelli and a couple of flathead. Been chasing the mangrove jacks for about a year but just can't land one.
Nothing big and generally throw them back in.
There's bull sharks in the lake and the neighbor has caught a couple- I'm not that keen though- wouldn't know what to do with it. I actually fell in on the weekend and the wife thought it was hilarious- been telling everyone I jumped out that quick that I didn't even get wet haha.

Kinda lucky- I live on a lake and have a jetty and little tinny. Me and the boy cast a line out a couple of times a week- mostly catch brim, get the odd Trivelli and a couple of flathead. Been chasing the mangrove jacks for about a year but just can't land one.
Nothing big and generally throw them back in.
There's bull sharks in the lake and the neighbor has caught a couple- I'm not that keen though- wouldn't know what to do with it. I actually fell in on the weekend and the wife thought it was hilarious- been telling everyone I jumped out that quick that I didn't even get wet haha.
Have you tried for mud crab in the canals.
I used to get one just about every night

Have you tried for mud crab in the canals.
I used to get one just about every night
I've got I pot and when I first moved in a couple of years back I was going hard for them but never caught any (got a couple of massive eels).
Speaking to my neighbor at xmas though (same guy who catches the bull sharks) and he gets plenty- sounds like I was doing it all wrong because I'd leave it out for a couple of days but he reckons u need to pull them in every few hours because they can get out- reckons in takes them 20-30 minutes to get in a few hours to get out (I didn't know they could get out) so I'm gonna give it another go.
I reckon there would be heaps out there because whatever food scrap I cant give to the dog I chuck off the jetty- there's been so many more fish since I started doing that last year.

I've got I pot and when I first moved in a couple of years back I was going hard for them but never caught any (got a couple of massive eels).
Speaking to my neighbor at xmas though (same guy who catches the bull sharks) and he gets plenty- sounds like I was doing it all wrong because I'd leave it out for a couple of days but he reckons u need to pull them in every few hours because they can get out- reckons in takes them 20-30 minutes to get in a few hours to get out (I didn't know they could get out) so I'm gonna give it another go.
I reckon there would be heaps out there because whatever food scrap I cant give to the dog I chuck off the jetty- there's been so many more fish since I started doing that last year.
I used to use a tin of cat or dog food and it was great.
Just punch a few holes in them and let the tide spread the oils.
Worth a shot and the bait can be used a few times

I used to use a tin of cat or dog food and it was great.
Just punch a few holes in them and let the tide spread the oils.
Worth a shot and the bait can be used a few times
Yeah good tip and a berley technique used by a few to attract bait fish for live baiting too.

I used to use a tin of sardines with holes punched in it too for the same reason but my target was Piper or Garfish as the Aussies call em eh.

I have seen the yanks do what you were doing for crawfish etc too.

Makes total sense Crabs would like Cat food.

Do any softbait fishing from the rocks/land based bro? I have been trying it but only at the start of a bait session coz if there are no hits I switch to sit and watch the rod do all the work.
Nah I haven't tried land based but out on boat with a slow drift casting upcurrent they seem to be deadly always seem to land the bigger snapper on em.

Yeah good tip and a berley technique used by a few to attract bait fish for live baiting too.

I used to use a tin of sardines with holes punched in it too for the same reason but my target was Piper or Garfish as the Aussies call em eh.

I have seen the yanks do what you were doing for crawfish etc too.

Makes total sense Crabs would like Cat food.
It's more likely that the oil spread by the water flow attracts them.
But hey.Whatever works

Back