Social 🧛 PSA - Social Media - Impact on mental health

How did you get out the dark hole bro if you don't mind me asking, time off to de-stress and reflect or professional help of some sort?

Yeah man, having time off was the biggest thing for me.

I ended up having a few anxiety attacks which can feel like you're having a heart attack when you don't know what's going on, so while those were really scary, there was a heavy feeling in my chest for about 9 or 10 days afterwards, and you start to feel like you're never going to get better.

Towards the end of the 2 weeks that feeling started to lift which was great, but I made sure I was gymming and walking the dog twice a day, and cut out a lot of booze and those other fun things.
I did see a counsellor a couple of times too, which I found really helpful.

I ended up having a few anxiety attacks which can feel like you're having a heart attack when you don't know what's going on, so while those were really scary, there was a heavy feeling in my chest for about 9 or 10 days afterwards, and you start to feel like you're never going to get better.

Shit bro. I kid you not. Had the same feeling a month ago. About the same bloody time the Warriors were losing???!!! Chest discomfort and a few times felt really dizzy and nauseous. Never felt like this before. It freak me out to the point I went to the ER thinking a possible heart attack. What made it worse was I bought a BP machine to monitor and it was showing 160/100. It was like that for a week before the dizziness started. Looking at YouTube videos on this topic doesn’t help - just makes it worse because you then get flooded with all these videos about heart attacks and BP. It makes you paranoid. When at the hospital I felt a massive calm over me and the doc kinda explained a lot of this is psychological. He took my blood pressure again and it had dropped to 130/70. That’s my story if it helps anyone….

Shit bro. I kid you not. Had the same feeling a month ago. About the same bloody time the Warriors were losing???!!! Chest discomfort and a few times felt really dizzy and nauseous. Never felt like this before. It freak me out to the point I went to the ER thinking a possible heart attack. What made it worse was I bought a BP machine to monitor and it was showing 160/100. It was like that for a week before the dizziness started. Looking at YouTube videos on this topic doesn’t help - just makes it worse because you then get flooded with all these videos about heart attacks and BP. It makes you paranoid. When at the hospital I felt a massive calm over me and the doc kinda explained a lot of this is psychological. He took my blood pressure again and it had dropped to 130/70. That’s my story if it helps anyone….

Fuck bro that sounds similar to me! I actually cried after the Penny win and that was when I thought shieeet something's a bit off for me.

But yeah, the dr told me sooo many people go to hospital or drs thinking they're dying or having a heart attack. I probably would have but my Mrs was able to talk me down. It's fucking scary tho aye.
I went to the drs a few times over a 3 week period and insisted they check my blood pressure and heart beat etc and they were like bro, you're all good physically

Kia Kaha man. It's some really scary shit

Go up north
They're like Maori up there 🙂
Good shout

Wow India will be cool man, tossing up heading there myself by the end of the year so would love to hear your thoughts and where you go etc.
Heading there at the end of the year with some friends. As above poster suggested, up north in December will be pretty cool.

Back to topic, I myself was in a very dark place to start the year off after my longterm relationship ended. One thing that helped me crawl out of it a little was joining the gym with a friend. Fitness is now a major part of my life and keeps me always pushing forward.

Fuck bro that sounds similar to me! I actually cried after the Penny win and that was when I thought shieeet something's a bit off for me.

But yeah, the dr told me sooo many people go to hospital or drs thinking they're dying or having a heart attack. I probably would have but my Mrs was able to talk me down. It's fucking scary tho aye.
I went to the drs a few times over a 3 week period and insisted they check my blood pressure and heart beat etc and they were like bro, you're all good physically

Kia Kaha man. It's some really scary shit

100% scary as hell.
Good wake up call aye.

I attributed my problems to

1. Warriors 🤣 :rolleyes:
2. Bad diet - been doing carnivore for last 12 months - I'm totally off red meat now
3. Work, wife, kids stress
4. Lack of exercise

The usual stuff... life problems and getting paranoid over it.

Doc believes it was more a panic attack / anxiety..
Told me I looked too young and healthy to be a heart attack!!!!! I never felt so good in my life after he said that... although last few days i feel my chest discomfort come back... wondering if it had anything to do with the Warriors on Saturday night?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good shout

Heading there at the end of the year with some friends. As above poster suggested, up north in December will be pretty cool.

Back to topic, I myself was in a very dark place to start the year off after my longterm relationship ended. One thing that helped me crawl out of it a little was joining the gym with a friend. Fitness is now a major part of my life and keeps me always pushing forward.

I was in a similar headspace when my only long-term relationship at the time broke up start of 2022, all of a sudden I had no idea what I was doing with myself and was experiencing lots of sudden emotional outbursts (or "inbursts" given it was all inwardly super intense) including one time I was supposed to meet to talk about a potential new role and ended up cancelling half an hour before cos I was a blubbering self-hating mess (which was a common occurence in those first few months).

It's kinda weird I feel like I was more emotional in that period than when members of my immediate family have passed away over the years (perhaps emotions I had shuttered away from those past experiences burst through the dam after I felt like I had failed as a man after the breakup).

Lots of long walks listening to health and fitness podcasts, eating better (even got myself a food scale) and getting back to the gym regularly saw me get to my lowest weight in over 10 years about 6 months later, which was a very big help in getting back to a positive mental space.
I have since got about 15kg heavier again but a lot of that is muscle (at least that's the story I'm telling myself :ROFLMAO:) and I am definitely feeling healthier than that period 2 years ago.
Also have found myself in a lovely relationship with a lovely French-Canadian (yup still going from the relationship status thread 6 months ago) so that's nice 😍

Moral of the story is basically "this too shall pass", "the only way is through", "there is light at the end of the tunnel" and all those similar kind of phrases are definitely true.
In the moment it feels like the hopelessness is going to be like that forever and your life as you know it is over, then you commit to doing just a little bit of progress in some aspect of your life each day (health, fitness, nutrition, study, career, creativity, social interations etc...), babysteps in a certain direction for a while then all of a sudden things are looking up, you are achieving things and looking back the episodes of extreme sadness/self-defeat seem a distant memory!

Good luck to anyone feeling that way at the moment, you got this 👊

100% scary as hell.
Good wake up call aye.

I attributed my problems to

1. Warriors 🤣 :rolleyes:
2. Bad diet - been doing carnivore for last 12 months - I'm totally off red meat now
3. Work, wife, kids stress
4. Lack of exercise

The usual stuff... life problems and getting paranoid over it.

Doc believes it was more a panic attack / anxiety..
Told me I looked too young and healthy to be a heart attack!!!!! I never felt so good in my life after he said that... although last few days i feel my chest discomfort come back... wondering if it had anything to do with the Warriors on Saturday night?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Exercise is related to testosterone levels in men. Low testosterone levels can have severe negative mental health consequences.

Men also need a project for their mental health, I alway suggest making your body a project.

Just want to thank you all for your posts.
Doc diagnosed gout a few years ago but I got crook in Oct & went to the ER. Got diagnosed with celiac disease & other gut complications. I didn't know what the hell was going on or how to deal with it.
The upshot of having to change my diet totally as well as the cancer worry really caused some mental health problems & I just sat on my backside for a month in panic. It's taken me 9 months to get back to doing normal stuff like going to the club , mowing lawns etc.
Still not too healthy physically but mentally with help from family & friends things have gotten a hell of a lot better.
So it is important to let someone know if you are having trouble coping - or to give a bit of support to someone who seems a bit "off"

Exercise is related to testosterone levels in men. Low testosterone levels can have severe negative mental health consequences.

Men also need a project for their mental health, I alway suggest making your body a project.
I lifted weights for 30 years and played tennis three times a week and thought I was invincible but my problems from childhood, abuse and no parents, leaked out after 40 years. I am sure the exercise kept things at bay all that time.
Recently finished an eight year landscaping project which again was very positive and required lots of lifting , digging etc.
Now that project is finished I need something else. Started yesterday taking down 50m of 1.8 fencing and will build a new fence, pissed off I got rained off today.

I lifted weights for 30 years and played tennis three times a week and thought I was invincible but my problems from childhood, abuse and no parents, leaked out after 40 years. I am sure the exercise kept things at bay all that time.
Recently finished an eight year landscaping project which again was very positive and required lots of lifting , digging etc.
Now that project is finished I need something else. Started yesterday taking down 50m of 1.8 fencing and will build a new fence, pissed off I got rained off today.
Yup pretty standard story. Men are pretty simple creatures and we complicate it so much.

Eat well
Work hard
Sleep well

If you can master those three, I guarantee you, your life will change for the better.

Doc diagnosed gout a few years ago but I got crook in Oct & went to the ER. Got diagnosed with celiac disease & other gut complications. I didn't know what the hell was going on or how to deal with it.
The upshot of having to change my diet totally as well as the cancer worry really caused some mental health problems & I just sat on my backside for a month in panic. It's taken me 9 months to get back to doing normal stuff like going to the club , mowing lawns etc.
Still not too healthy physically but mentally with help from family & friends things have gotten a hell of a lot better.
So it is important to let someone know if you are having trouble coping - or to give a bit of support to someone who seems a bit "off"

Glad to hear you're getting on a bit better bro. One step at a time hey.

Even worse tho....you have to eat gluten free? The Mrs is gluten free and vegetarian (which means 80% of what I eat is the same) and I can say with confidence how shit the bread, pastry and all that other good shit is too haha. So my heart REALLY goes out to you 😝

Glad to hear you are getting better.

It must be nearly a year since you went on your overseas trip so you should be planning another one but stay away from Israel this time!

We have our next booked in - India for a month. Thought it would be a good idea at our age to give the colon a good workout!!
When I was last in India, we were really careful about making sure all the water we drank was boiled but still got the trots... we think it was from salad vegetables being washed in water or drinks with ice made from tap water. Sent two days where the furthest I ventured from a toilet was ten metres.... 12 metres, and I wouldn't have made it in time.

If it's not too late, include some time in Nepal on your trip.... an amazing place!!!

Even worse tho....you have to eat gluten free? The Mrs is gluten free and vegetarian (which means 80% of what I eat is the same) and I can say with confidence how shit the bread, pastry and all that other good shit is too haha. So my heart REALLY goes out to you 😝
Really tough on your wife without a nice steak to go with all those bloody veges mate.
Yep tried the pastry - binned it. Tried the pizza bases & decided that required too much effort so it's an occasional Dominoes g/f or Hell g/f if we are really flush or the Warriors win. Vogels 6 seed for bread preferance. Other than bread & cereal everyone eats the same meal. Icecream, chocolate & cider are my go to treats. Just like being 6 again - without the cider of course. :D

Really tough on your wife without a nice steak to go with all those bloody veges mate.
Yep tried the pastry - binned it. Tried the pizza bases & decided that required too much effort so it's an occasional Dominoes g/f or Hell g/f if we are really flush or the Warriors win. Vogels 6 seed for bread preferance. Other than bread & cereal everyone eats the same meal. Icecream, chocolate & cider are my go to treats. Just like being 6 again - without the cider of course. :D

You mfers need to start cooking…

The only thing I want to chip in is that is important to have good relationships in your life. Honour your mother and Father even if they have faults and get on well with your sisters and brothers even if they offended you ten years ago in a family drama. Do all those things and they will be there for you in a mental health situation and support you through it. Family and firends are very important when you are struggling. The worst thing that can happen is for you to hit rock bottom and be isolated when it happens.
If you are isolated but healthy right now be aware there can be insidious impacts of this that can lead to a stress meltdown so in all it helps to work on forgiveness and relationships. Where possible as I know this can be hard sometimes.

You mfers need to start cooking…
I see where you are coming from- didn't mean to imply I only eat pizza, icecream & chocolate. the following was our g/f menu for this week :
Monday - Roast chcken with a selection of roasted winter vegetables & g/f gravy + apple crumble & cream
Tuesday - Nacho mince + banana, & manderin with yoghurt
Wednesday - Fresh hoki, lightly crumbrd & served with a mixed green salad, tomatoes & boiled potatoes Follwed by a scoop if rum & raisin icecream
Thursday - Beef Strog + Tinned peaches & yoghurt
Friday - it's getting toward the weekend so I'm winding down a bit - Grilled bacon , egg & mushrooms. Repaet desert of peaches & yoghurt
Tonight it's WARRIOR time : Curried chicken & rice with a few mixed frozen veg thrown in. Followed by more rum & raisin icrecrem & a couple of glasses of cider if you don't mind - Cheers
Sunday - Probably common old sausages & mash with assorted leftover veges. Depending on Sat's result - might even be roast beef - definately NOT a pizza . Here's to a win for the Wahs eh Mr F White ;)

Last edited:
Back