General YOUR Warriors Team For 2020

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
It’s less about them being ready for first grade week in and week out, but more about them offering things that we are badly lacking in our second row.

They are both 20 years old now, so it’s not unreasonable to expect them to step up to first grade if they have the goods.
That's fine in this thread, but SK as coach and reality don't mix well with this thread.

We're badly lacking in a lot of areas, but throwing in a bunch of kids to plug the gaps has never worked well for us.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
That's fine in this thread, but SK as coach and reality don't mix well with this thread.

We're badly lacking in a lot of areas, but throwing in a bunch of kids to plug the gaps has never worked well for us.
My take on it is that we’re going to be near the bottom of the table regardless of whether play our most experienced players or our younger players.

I wouldn’t put it past SK to play the young guys to get a sympathy vote from management. If he fields an experienced team week in week out and is near the bottom of the ladder, he’s as good as gone.

Off The Bench

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 26, 2014
My take on it is that we’re going to be near the bottom of the table regardless of whether play our most experienced players or our younger players.

I wouldn’t put it past SK to play the young guys to get a sympathy vote from management. If he fields an experienced team week in week out and is near the bottom of the ladder, he’s as good as gone.
I wish that was true .I would happily watch a young team of future prospects.

But the reality is SK is going to roll out the same old same old .
With only newbies to cover emergencies an then dropped back for
Our experienced underachievers .
An at the end of the season we will hear how we didn't have enough
F G capable players.
An because of his selections we won't have blooded any Juniors for
The next season .

My team
1 RTS
2 Milne
3 Herbert
4 Hiku
5 Fusitua
6 AK
7 CHT
8 Bunty ,
9 Egan ,Lawton ,Roach
10 Papalii
11 Ken M
12 Curren
13 Harris

14 Jazz T
15 LAM
16 Paasi
17 Sam L
I would be blooding Frei /Ale as much as they could handle aswell.
My team might lose alot .But its about getting them FG ready for next season
An to See who we keep

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
Exactly right. The story we are being fed is that we dont have the team to win. So instead of giving juniors 1st grade time so they might have some experience when we do have the team to win lets give old journeymen more time even if they arent going to be playing for us next year.
It doesnt make sense to me at all.

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
Exactly right. The story we are being fed is that we dont have the team to win. So instead of giving juniors 1st grade time so they might have some experience when we do have the team to win lets give old journeymen more time even if they arent going to be playing for us next year.
Bringing guys in too early can be terrible for their development. Needs to be a balance

Reactions: YeahNah 4020

Vedoid

Warriors Bench Player
Nov 21, 2018
What is the infatuation people have with moving Ken in two spots? Sure, he started as a backrower playing against other non-pro kids. Do people think he has crazy great ball playing ability? Do people think he will still put up similar running metres and provide similar impetus as to what he provides on kick returns, and follow up runs behind Roger to get sets going? I'm going to assume that most people on here do go to games and can see the difference in how much energy it takes a player to defend in the middle third, to defending on the wing. You'll also likely notice that for the majority of tackles 1 - 3 on defense he is walking back onside regaining his energy, preparing for his next series of carries, and not required to burn any energy by being part of the defensive line unless we are being attacked on a short side early. Tackle 4 he then starts to drop for a kick return. Take a look at the average tackles of our backrowers - look at the job required in the ruck and near the ruck by Blair and Ice. At a guess the average tackle number target of that position is going to be around 30 tackles, plus required to achieve maybe 5 kick pressures. Do people think Ken can provide something like that? The kid is providing us with so much on the wing, has taken massive steps forward as a winger this season, and sewn up a spot for us. Isn't that a good thing? I don't get it.

Off The Bench

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 26, 2014
What is the infatuation people have with moving Ken in two spots? Sure, he started as a backrower playing against other non-pro kids. Do people think he has crazy great ball playing ability? Do people think he will still put up similar running metres and provide similar impetus as to what he provides on kick returns, and follow up runs behind Roger to get sets going? I'm going to assume that most people on here do go to games and can see the difference in how much energy it takes a player to defend in the middle third, to defending on the wing. You'll also likely notice that for the majority of tackles 1 - 3 on defense he is walking back onside regaining his energy, preparing for his next series of carries, and not required to burn any energy by being part of the defensive line unless we are being attacked on a short side early. Tackle 4 he then starts to drop for a kick return. Take a look at the average tackles of our backrowers - look at the job required in the ruck and near the ruck by Blair and Ice. At a guess the average tackle number target of that position is going to be around 30 tackles, plus required to achieve maybe 5 kick pressures. Do people think Ken can provide something like that? The kid is providing us with so much on the wing, has taken massive steps forward as a winger this season, and sewn up a spot for us. Isn't that a good thing? I don't get it.
Yep you are right .
But I think he can do it .
An we can't buy a forward so

Reactions: Uncmase

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
I think what they are saying is that he is doing a forwards job from winger at the expense of having a standard type wing and some pace in the side. So assuming we do need pace and he can defend the middle then that would solve that problem. He is scoring tries while getting us on the front foot so I would be inclined to keep him where he is and look for speed on the other wing.

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
No we just need meter eating props with engines with our back three then we will be even more of a force! We just have lazy forwards, who cant get back quickly enough

Damo

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 11, 2019
I think what they are saying is that he is doing a forwards job from winger at the expense of having a standard type wing and some pace in the side. So assuming we do need pace and he can defend the middle then that would solve that problem. He is scoring tries while getting us on the front foot so I would be inclined to keep him where he is and look for speed on the other wing.
Well he's not really, he isn't actually defending as a forward. He's doing the job that modern wingers are required to do these days, just look at all the other top teams, their outside backs do the same (apart from Latrell because he's lazy).

It just so happens that Ken and Roger are the best at it, too bad our forwards being so bad at gaining metres it nullifies how good they are.

Vedoid

Warriors Bench Player
Nov 21, 2018
Well he's not really, he isn't actually defending as a forward. He's doing the job that modern wingers are required to do these days, just look at all the other top teams, their outside backs do the same (apart from Latrell because he's lazy).

It just so happens that Ken and Roger are the best at it, too bad our forwards being so bad at gaining metres it nullifies how good they are.

Couldn't agree more with your post, dude.

He gains a fair chunk of his metres on tackles 1 or 2 returning kicks - before forwards have had a chance to get back to the ruck. This isn't a 'our guys are lazy' thing - this is the game we play...the other ten blokes were active in the defensive line, not 30-40m downfield waiting for a kick without having had to make one tackle. The beauty about Ken are those post contact metres he gains returning kicks on those early tackles. If he has to make an additional 25 tackles per game to his current workload, and be part of the 10m yo-yo D-line expending gas, those post contact metres will probably come down too because he'll be so buggered.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
This guy gets it.

Ref

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Rotorua
My team for 2020 which I named last week aligns with your thinking too Tragic.

Reactions: Tragic

Tony Martin

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 4, 2016

JBmurc

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2013
Central Otago
Best Props in the game this season mostly kiwis ... so why the FUCK can't we have a couple at the only NZ NRL Side ... also why don't we follow the raiders and secure some POMs into the mix ... fucking sick of the B grade has been kiwi players coming home to retire and small forward than get eaten up by other teams smallest players ...

Really enjoyed watching the replay of the storm finals game we won was it 2011-13 so long ago can't remember ... to see a warriors team that actually hit the line with pace and defend like madmen ... also kicking was brilliant from Witt