Recruitment YOUR Warriors Team For 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

diehard

You DO need someone who can cover the wingers and centre on the bench in case they go down. Otherwise, everyone is moving around like musical chairs. Manu provides the best option on the bench. Can be a prop at the 20 minute mark AND still cover the wingers.

Reactions: 1 user
bruce

bruce

Contributor
Manu provides the best option on the bench. Can be a prop at the 20 minute mark AND still cover the wingers.
For now, he still has two years to go on his contract. I doubt he will be fast enough for the wing for that length of time.

diehard

For now, he still has two years to go on his contract. I doubt he will be fast enough for the wing for that length of time.
Which is why I have him at prop. Plus, he's as fast as Wright for covering the wing. But I'm talking emergency for cover, otherwise keep him at prop. See if he likes them apples for two years. Who knows, might like it.

6 Again

Has anyone ever heard anything from the club either recently or in the past regarding playing Manu in the forwards?, just curious whether it's all driven from us on this forum or if it's been suggested by the club at any stage.

matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Has anyone ever heard anything from the club either recently or in the past regarding playing Manu in the forwards?, just curious whether it's all driven from us on this forum or if it's been suggested by the club at any stage.

Haven't heard much about Manu full stop for a while, I know he was injured but has been noticeably absent last couple of games.
Will be interesting to see if he comes in this week

phil.kingston

ive only ever read rumours here that couple of years ago Manu asked coaching staff to move him to the middle...

6 Again

ive only ever read rumours here that couple of years ago Manu asked coaching staff to move him to the middle...

Yeah that's what I read also, I found an old article here that substantiates the rumor but it was Mathew Elliot he asked and not Cappy, that's not to say Cappy is immune to the idea though because Konrad spent some there as we all know.

https://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league...uvei-craves-the-front-row-20140322-hvlmf.html

Cappy on the face of it seems happy enough with the job Ken is doing on that left wing so maybe it's not outside the realms of possibility that we'll see Manu in the forwards sooner rather than later.

Reactions: 1 users
Trugoy

Trugoy

Thought this from the article was interesting..
"They want to see me in the middle, he thinks I'm a winger"

Who's they? The rest of the coaching staff, the players, the fans?

I never knew he actually wanted to move inside.

6 Again

Thought this from the article was interesting..
"They want to see me in the middle, he thinks I'm a winger"

Who's they? The rest of the coaching staff, the players, the fans?

I never knew he actually wanted to move inside.

It's difficult to make sense out of who he's referring to with that comment, I just put it down to a Manu-ism.

Another interesting point from the article was this "After all, few other wingers can barge their way over out wide with three or four would-be defenders in tow." I haven't seen that from the Beast for such a long time.

My point would be if they can't get him the ball in that position any longer bring him into the middle where they can, even if he's only running a decoy he's still going to create space out wide such is the threat of Manu one on one.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Once Manu Vatuvei outlives his usefulness on the wing its either time for him to jump on a plane to the UK or retire. Why pay someone $500K to learn how to play in the pack when you could get 4 players like Sam Lisone, Albert Vete, Toafofoa Sipley and Bunty Afoa all doing the job they know for the same price? The simple answer is you dont.

Anyone who thinks that Manu Vatuvei can adapt to the pack and make it such a success that it warrants his price tag is deluded. As much as I love the Beast I love the Warriors more. Cut him...

Reactions: 6 users

6 Again

Why pay someone $500K to learn how to play in the pack when you could get 4 players like Sam Lisone, Albert Vete, Toafofoa Sipley and Bunty Afoa all doing the job they know for the same price? The simple answer is you dont.

That's a fair point ... $500k would be too much for an impact forward at any rate, trouble with Manu is he's signed until the end of 2018 from memory and while the club may say "your free to look around" if he doesn't wanna go I just hope he's still cutting it on the wing.

Last edited:
Blain

Blain

Some of Manu's cash will be from the long service cap. But still, who was the idiot that signed him until he was 32 years old??

Dean Bell that's who.

Once Manu loses his pace he will lose his wing spot.. There were signs last year he was losing his "Manu ability" (meaning using only his shear strength to get to the try line). He was slow turning 5 years ago, I can only imagine him in 2 years!

Unfortunately the Warriors will have to deal with his overloaded contract. If we have better wingers, he simply shouldn't be picked there. $500k for a bench prop may be the only spot where we can get some use out of him.

I still have him as our second best winger behind Fusitua, but Ken is showing the same skills at a 5th of the price tag..

Reactions: 2 users

phil.kingston

After watching Bunty last couple of weeks, its obvious he'll be in the mix somewhere next year.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
Fusitua (To swap with Roger Tuivasa-Sheck from time to time. To throw something different at the opposition every now and then. Both are great finishers but in a totally different way. Both are great link players, playing as a second five eighth. Both are good under high ball. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck chews up a few more meters. Fusitua has better defence.)
Ayshford
Kata
Lolohea (To swap with Kata on attack)
Hingano
Johnson
Matulino
Luke
Lillyman
Thompson
Bunty
Mannering
Sipley/Gavet/Gubb/Roach/Jazz (depending on what our bench strategy is)
Vete
Lisone
Maumalo (Bunty&Maumalo...These two together can help fix the pedestrian nature of our left edge. A bit more punch)

Coach: Anyone who's willing to use all 17 players.

Jwoodzy02

Jwoodzy02

After watching Bunty last couple of weeks, its obvious he'll be in the mix somewhere next year.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
Fusitua (To swap with Roger Tuivasa-Sheck from time to time. To throw something different at the opposition every now and then. Both are great finishers but in a totally different way. Both are great link players, playing as a second five eighth. Both are good under high ball. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck chews up a few more meters. Fusitua has better defence.)
Ayshford
Kata
Lolohea (To swap with Kata on attack)
Hingano
Johnson
Matulino
Luke
Lillyman
Thompson
Bunty
Mannering
Sipley/Gavet/Gubb/Roach/Jazz (depending on what our bench strategy is)
Vete
Lisone
Maumalo (Bunty&Maumalo...These two together can help fix the pedestrian nature of our left edge. A bit more punch)

Coach: Anyone who's willing to use all 17 players.

Yes that is exactly what I was wanting, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Fusitua to swap from time to time.
(I know this is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the real game at all) but I have been doing that on my Rugby League game, lol, it worked though!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
eric

eric

1) Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2) Fusitua
3) Lolohea
4) Kata
5) Manu

6) FORAN
7) Johnson

8) Vete
9) Luke
10) lillyman

11) Bodene
12) Hoff
13) Manners

14) Jaz/Roach
15) Matalino
16) Lisone
17) Gubb/Gavet/Sao/Sipley/Afoa

Yep totally agree. only question mark is over Lolohea and whether the club develop him at 6 in NSW cup or can that idea completely and turn him into a centre. I'm more for the former. Could Ayshford go another season? Only downside with him is he ain't getting any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.