Recruitment YOUR Warriors Team For 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
rugged

rugged

Really wish mooks would have the courage to drop Manu. I still thought our outside backs looked the sharpest when Fusitua was outside Ayshford. Blakes positioning with Fusitua' finishing was the goods.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

diehard

Really wish mooks would have the courage to drop Manu. I still thought our outside backs looked the sharpest when Fusitua was outside Ayshford. Blakes positioning with Fusitua' finishing was the goods.
I thought Lolo looked good outside Ayshford too. You gotta wonder whether Kata would pass the ball to Lolo or Fusitua on the wing. Or is just Manu who doesn't get the ball from Kata?

bruce

bruce

Contributor
He put on some big hits flying out of the line and really put his body on the line.
Excuse me for saying whooppee, but big hits have NEVER been a percentage play. Playing for 80 minutes chasing tackles like they were your pay packet is what gets results, not the odd big hit. I hate to say it from an historical perspective but rugby players cannot tackle, however the All Blacks are showing the Warriors how to do it....shame.

Reactions: 3 users
Sup42

Sup42

Excuse me for saying whooppee, but big hits have NEVER been a percentage play. Playing for 80 minutes chasing tackles like they were your pay packet is what gets results, not the odd big hit. I hate to say it from an historical perspective but rugby players cannot tackle, however the All Blacks are showing the Warriors how to do it....shame.
The SK Kiwis era really proved that big hits are of limited worth. I like to watch them, I like to see kiwi players exhibit aggression and disregard for self preservation, but I would rather watch one of my teams scramble on their line and show the brains part of the Chess game, and the stamina part of mental atrength eight days a week.

I recon the Warriors will be taught this now.

I recon they will be horrible for a long time while they adopt the stamina and mindset Kearney will demand.

I recon we won't have the cattle in our current set up to suit.

I imagine a small handful of Mannering like Warriors can get there.

The rest will be given chances then replaced over time with tackle machines.

Case and point, SK Vs Kidwell Kiwi forward packs and philosophy.

Reactions: 1 users
Swanley

Swanley

The SK Kiwis era really proved that big hits are of limited worth. I like to watch them, I like to see kiwi players exhibit aggression and disregard for self preservation, but I would rather watch one of my teams scramble on their line and show the brains part of the Chess game, and the stamina part of mental atrength eight days a week.

I recon they will be horrible for a long time while they adopt the stamina and mindset Kearney will demand.

I imagine a small handful of Mannering like Warriors can get there.

The rest will be given chances then replaced over time with tackle machines.

Case and point, SK Vs Kidwell Kiwi forward packs and philosophy.
"big hits" will be outlawed in a few years anyway. i'm guessing a technique of "ball and all" or around the legs(remember them!) will be the only tackles allowed, it's already happening in the "other" code.

Reactions: 2 users
brightman

brightman

That's why we have recruited seasoned Kiwis with the proper attitude to succeed, hell it's the reason Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Mannering have been installed the Captaincies along with Harris recruitment. To lead this club in the right direction by showing the young talent of NZ the footy principles and values to succeed and win.

Reactions: 1 users
bruce

bruce

Contributor
That's why we have recruited seasoned Kiwis with the proper attitude to succeed, hell it's the reason Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Mannering have been installed the Captaincies along with Harris recruitment. To lead this club in the right direction by showing the young talent of NZ the footy principles and values to succeed and win.
All we need is more patience from the fans:arghh:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Sup42

Sup42

22 years not enough patience???
Every year we sack a coach we are back to the start.
No doubt about that now.

I was listening to ZB talkback....not the Radio sports stuff the other day. Rikki Swanell was invited to a routine chat show hosted by Kerry McIvor nee Woodham and Mark Dye...both regular joe boradcasters with no Warriors allegiance.

Swanell had just come from the Media invite Warriors training session.

She starts out....." I know we say this every year but (met by hysterical laughter from both show hosts) but the team looked really sharp "

Kerry/Mark " How come the press release reads Warriors upbeat about 2017 ? can't they at least wait till they have won three games before coming out with that ?"

"how can any New Zealand sports team come out with 'upbeat' after the last performance at the Nines and the way they have played for years " (more hysterical laughter).

To me it says the Warriors have managed the ultimate low. Talkback....general talkback, is only interested in sport when they want to make metaphor for life principles.

In the case of our club they have become so notorious that they make for talkback reference material frpm the sublime to the ridiculous ( we are not the sublime for anyone wondering).

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

To get respect you have to earn it. The positive for me is the team looked sharp. The rest is based on past performance.

Time to earn respect, that is in the team's hands, or probably more correctly, heads.

Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Was the nines a performance Gizzy? I thought is was, and pretty poor, so did SK.

I was meaning NRL, but fair call. A bunch of mainly young blokes put under pressure, they didn't rise as a squad. Hopefully they learn from it.

• Haha
bruce

bruce

Contributor
A bunch of mainly young blokes put under pressure, they didn't rise as a squad. Hopefully they learn from it.
That is the story of the Warriors since Ivan Cleary left. I can see a sack SK thread in the wings.

Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

That is the story of the Warriors since Ivan Cleary left. I can see a sack SK thread in the wings.

It may well happen. However, the point of difference this year was SK not getting distracted with the Nines and keeping focus on the NRL. As it turned out no really senior players were risked.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
It may well happen. However, the point of difference this year was SK not getting distracted with the Nines and keeping focus on the NRL. As it turned out no really senior players were risked.
He sure didn't get distracted, but what he showed was that our young guys cannot handle pressure and cannot defend. Can he fix that before the season starts? not based on previous history.

Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

He sure didn't get distracted, but what he showed was that our young guys cannot handle pressure and cannot defend. Can he fix that before the season starts? not based on previous history.

Always the question with the Warriors. Kearney said he was disappointed in how they reacted. However, there was a lack of senior players which will be in the trials. I guess some questions will be answered tonight.

We all know how it went last year. Too many close losses with a shocking finish. This team is nowhere near fulfilling it's potential. It all comes down to the forwards holding their own.

Toopi is King

seriously it comes down to having the right players to fill the right positions, which unfortunately we don't have. In any case I will put forward the best team I can see from what we have available.

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2. Fusitua
3. Kata
4. Lolohea
5. Manu
6. Foran (STC) otherwise would have to be Hingano, Lino is shite, only other possibility would be Lolo
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Matulino
9. Isaac Luke with Jazz on bench to cover some minutes for Luke and to cover 2RF replacement as well
10. Vete
11. Bodene
12. Bunty
13. Mannering

RES: Jazz, Gavet, Lisone and Hoffman

and looking at the team named and the options available, not really striking too much fear anywhere I feel :(

• Haha
InsideBall

InsideBall

We're definitely "back heavy"... we have no real game-breaking, superstar forwards, and haven't for some time.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
seriously it comes down to having the right players to fill the right positions, which unfortunately we don't have. In any case I will put forward the best team I can see from what we have available.

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2. Fusitua
3. Kata
4. Lolohea
5. Manu
6. Foran (STC) otherwise would have to be Hingano, Lino is shite, only other possibility would be Lolo
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Matulino
9. Isaac Luke with Jazz on bench to cover some minutes for Luke and to cover 2RF replacement as well
10. Vete
11. Bodene
12. Bunty
13. Mannering

RES: Jazz, Gavet, Lisone and Hoffman

and looking at the team named and the options available, not really striking too much fear anywhere I feel :(
Matulino is out for the first month of NRL and why would you swap Kata to right centre???

Status
Not open for further replies.