Recruitment YOUR Warriors Team For 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
May 15, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
Wondering if this will help free up cash to keep Hingano. I notice he hasn't been resigned yet and has a number of teams like the storm chasing him.

I'd forget making a play for Foran. The reason he wouldn't leave Sydney last time haven't changed - his kids and partner. Although being away from the fishbowl lifestyle in Sydney might do him some good o_O

Reactions: warriorsfan92

Run_it_str8

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 1, 2016
Well, the issue with that, is that we'd have a right footed kicker on the left edge, and a left footer on the right - not the ideal scenario for kickers.

One thing I worry about with that backline though, is the height of the left edge. I could see Sol and Tui getting badly exposed there - the option would be to switch Fusitua to the left and Tui to the right, as Blake is plenty tall on that right edge - problem with that is Fusitua is the best finisher we have, and Blake is the best centre at putting his wing away we've had in MANY years... Id be loathe to break that partnership up... Of course, ALL of that wouldnt be an issue if Sol could develop an elite passing game...

Leave Fusitua outside Asyhford.

Put Tui inside Kata.

If they are too short for bomb defusal get get them to do some cross code training with AFL jumping and Basketball jumping.

As I understand it, it is possible for those who stand under 6ft to slam dunk with the right training.

So perhaps that could provide a solution because Tui at left centre would still make Kata a prolific try scorer because he's not a greedy or selfish player.

As a budding 6, he knows how to pass.

Reactions: FAN and glory_hog

Trugoy

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 3, 2016
Yeah not sure that Kata is the same kind of body shape as a Spud Webb. Take a lot of effort to get those massive thighs up that high!!
Lol You've nailed it bro. We need Spud Webb on the wing!
Just the thought of that skinny 5ft7 dude with springs for feet out jumping these monster wingers is a crack up.

Last edited:

6 Again

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 29, 2015
It's not the lack of talent in the halves that has people concerned with the impending departure of Thomas Leuluai and the early release of Jeff Robson, even Mason Lino who is most likely last in the pecking order is a very skillful and talented half in his own right no doubt the reason he was offered a contract extension with the club earlier this year, it's obviously that lack of experience.

I'm okay with a rookie half like Hingano partnering Johnson because I see our natural tilt for the NRL Premiership to still be a couple of seasons away when many of our young players will have more NRL experience and have hopefully tasted finals football. Nearly half the current 17 at the moment have less than 50 NRL games and are in only their first and second seasons.

Were still very much in a building phase so to me it's the right time to blood a young halves partner for Shaun Johnson and while the club will be wanting results I think they are comfortable with that scenario given the talent, I personally am not expecting the club to sign an experienced five eight to replace Leulai/Robson.

glory_hog

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 13, 2015
I really can see Ata being the next cab of the bench as partnering Shaun Johnson with Loloeyes leaving. Cappies already preparing him for that number 6 jersey, hes been 18th man so hes only a injury away from making 1st grade. A few months ago Lolo would of had first dibs at 6 and was being groomed as scrumhalf apparent according to Cappy, but that was a longtime ago when we looked like crap and had Robbo in the halves, things have certainly changed in Warriorland last month and a half.

Ata has come in leaps and bounds this year and his kicking game is actually a threat and he actually looks more poised then Lolo when it comes to leading a team around the park, now he could become a 1st grade flop for all I know but atm he looks the goods, so I am happy for him to be our 6 for next season.

I hate that Lolo's being moved around, its a shame for the kid but thats the irony of it all, when your best attribute is your running game, I do think his best position is centre and they should groom him there for next season as well as halves cover. just my 2cents

Reactions: Run_it_str8

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
The way the team is playing at present without Manu and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck I don't see any need to recruit outside for the backs, and any candidate for the forwards would have to be top drawer such as Kenny Bromwich. If they aren't available JD won't waste money.

6 Again

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 29, 2015
The way the team is playing at present without Manu and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck I don't see any need to recruit outside for the backs, and any candidate for the forwards would have to be top drawer such as Kenny Bromwich. If they aren't available JD won't waste money.

I agree I think our backs are well covered for next season.

I'm thinking top draw also for our pack and while I agree with your other post about the limit applied to spending for a prop forward I won't deny I'm keen to spend that entire threshold up to $750k for the right kind of player such is the importance of getting our pack consistently going forward week in week out.

Reactions: Boats n Hoes

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 21, 2012
Johnson
Lolohea
Hingano
Lino

Look I think that depth is good. A couple of the young dudes in NYC look good for a few years time as well. Lino I think has improved immensely. He kept a badly beaten team in the game last week in NSW Cup. His kicking game has really come on well.

Reactions: diehard

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
With the releasing of TL and keeping in mind JD's mentality of not letting a player go, unless there is another player of similar or better quality, I can assume to expect an announcement soon. He would have commanded a fairly large salary so can expect a player of decent quality. I am not naive to the fact that both Tui and Ata are sensational talents, I personally think that Ata will become one of the best the warriors have produced, however we are extremely light with the release of both Robson and TL, this is one area and an area of huge importance that until a signing is made to replace these two, I feel a little uneasy going into 2017..

All it takes is one injury and we're into the Mason Lino/Erin Clarke promotion - something I am not very confident on to say the least.

Funny, I actually rate Lino and would have him in before Hingano, havent seen a lot of him this year but seems solid and gets stuck in, good foil for Shaun Johnson

FAN

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 17, 2014
Two horse race for that 6 now, in my opinion.

Very torn on that one too - I'm an admittedly huge fan of Tui, blows me away how good he's been in the number of positions he's played thus far, and he would make a killer running 6... BUT, Ata is such a talent, and there's no coincidence whatsoever that he's been groomed as a left edge playmaker - he's got all the playmaking skills in the world, and most crucially, a left boot. He could be the missing link in our spine that propels us to greatness. Next pre-season is going to be massive for those two young men.

I could see a backline like this happening:

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2. David Fusitua
3. Blake Ayshford
4. Solomone Kata
5. Tuimoala Lolohea
6. Ata Hingano
7. Shaun Johnson

And there's A LOT to like about that back line. Almost everyone of them is a game breaker, and they're all improving out of sight. defensively - especially Sol and Fusitua, and Blake and Shaun are both already very solid in D.

PERFECT IMO but put Kata on the wing, move Lolo into the center with Ayshford. Now THAT is the best back line up we have to offer. Give Manu one more season off the bench as impact in the forwards, but also cover in the backs should Kata or Fuss go down. Killer back line just waiting to score points.

FAN

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 17, 2014
Leave Fusitua outside Asyhford.

Put Tui inside Kata.

If they are too short for bomb defusal get get them to do some cross code training with AFL jumping and Basketball jumping.

As I understand it, it is possible for those who stand under 6ft to slam dunk with the right training.

So perhaps that could provide a solution because Tui at left centre would still make Kata a prolific try scorer because he's not a greedy or selfish player.

As a budding 6, he knows how to pass.

Finally someone with the same thinking line as myself. Needs to happen IMO.

Last edited:

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Alot of people are saying put Kata on the wing, but I'd have nightmares of halves sending bombs his way. Would get owned in the air.

Lolohea can’t seem to get off the ground either, the titans and roosters with MacDonald and Tupou are about the only teams that hoist to the corner with any regularity.

Moving kata just removes his defence at centre though, lolo could be a tuimavave esque turnstile unless he was given time to improve.

Jordan G

I wouldn't be moving Kata. At the moment him at centre is working. I don't like changing things that are working on a prayer that they "potentially" might be "slightly" better.

I'm expecting one decent signing (first grader who will instantly improve a position), and then a couple of lesser signings to round out the squad.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
YOUR Warriors Team For 2017

Started this thread with some posts from the 2016 Recruitment thread so people can feel free to continue sharing their thoughts on Tommys replacement for 2017. You can also go one step further and name the rest of the team or backline.

The 2016 thread is still open for this season

https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/your-warriors-team-for-2016.42808/

Any issues please PM an admin...

Leaguegod

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 24, 2015
Wondering if this will help free up cash to keep Hingano. I notice he hasn't been resigned yet and has a number of teams like the storm chasing him.

I'd forget making a play for Foran. The reason he wouldn't leave Sydney last time haven't changed - his kids and partner. Although being away from the fishbowl lifestyle in Sydney might do him some good o_O
What partner? as long as he has a betting account he'll come! remember Liam anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings