General YOUR Warriors Team for 2015

goku

goku

i think the problem is that there is no one keeping our topside boys on their toes, that is why i say bleed in the young guys during pre season to hold the old folk accountable.

1)Lolohea
2)Fusitua
3)Hurrel
4)Faitala-Mariner/Laumape
5)Fish
6)Lolohea
7)Johnson
8)Rapira
9)Havili
10)Matulino
11)Mannering
12)Hoffman
13)Sione Lousi

14)Lillyman
15)??
16)??
17)??

ryno

ryno

Just trying a new line of thinking:

1. Fish
2. Fusitua
3. Laumape
4. Hurrell
5. Allgood
6. Tomkins
7. Johnson
8. Lillyman
9. Havilli
10. Rapira
11. Matulino
12. Hoffman
13. Mannering

Bench
Lolohea
Matagi
Manu
Vete

Lolohea is my utility dummy half
Allgood plays on the wing is quick and should be able to catch
Fish at the back for his kick returns and speed support play
Tomkins into the halves with Johnson
Havili to play 50 - 60 minutes
Manu to to get 30 - 40 mins at 11
With Hoffman and Mannering playing 80 mins no need for Benry, Bukuya, Mateo, Lousis
Vete with a full off season goes into the prop rotation allowing Big Ben to go back to back rower.

Things I am worried about:
Tomkins line defense
Fish getting injured or catching the ball
Allgood playing on the wing
Havilli not having the the engine to play 50 - 60 minutes
Lolohea playing at hooker (just want him in the team though)

What I like about this team:
Our forwards are instantly bigger when Big Ben moves to second row
Havili instant dummy half threat
Tomkins at half, one of the best kickers and passes in our team
Manu can concentrate on smash and bash
Impact bench with Matagi, Manu and Vete

Reactions: BA-AD Luck
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
why? 40 games now, he looks massive but run meters never back up his appearance

His tackles have something behind them at least. Its not a ringing endorsement, but when the alternative is bukuya or mateo then he dosen't look so bad.

The Mighty Shannon

The Mighty Shannon

1. Sam Tomkins
2. Glen Fisiiahi
3. Konrad Hurrell
4. Ngani Laumape
5. David Fusitua/Kata (Who ever Performs better in Pre Season)
6. Tuimoala Lolohea
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Jacob Lillyman
9. TL
10. Manu Vatuvei
11. RYAN HOFFMAN
12. Ben Matulino
13. Simon Mannering

14. Havili
15. Sam Lousi/ Matagi
16. Sione Lousi
17. Ben Henry

shuffle

shuffle

1. Lolohea
2. Fish
3. Laumape
4. Hurrell (he and Laumape's off seasons is going to be really interesting I don't mind if he lost weight because he will still have his speed)
5. Fusitua
6. Tomkins (I like this idea but I hope he bulks up a little bit and I'm happy he lasted a whole season of NRL he is such a machine! Just needs better boots)
7. Johnson
8. Lilyman
9. Havili
10. Matulino
11. Hoffman
12. Rapira (his defence is good and runs some good lines too. Worth a go.)
13. Mannering
14. Henry
15. Matagi
16. Sione Lousi (needs firing up though)
17. Ikahihifo

That's what I got. Still hoping for a monster prop though.

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

1 Tuimoala Lolohea
2 Glen Fisiiahi
3 Ngani Laumape
4 Konrad Hurrell
5 Manu Vatuvei
6 Sam Tomkins
7 Shaun Johnson
8 Jacob Lillyman
9 Siliva Havili
10 Ben Matulino - with a fair rocket put up him, seriously, the guy has gone missing since his three game three try splurge
11 Simon Mannering (c)
12 Ryan Hoffman
13 Sebastine Ikahihifo

Sam Lousi
Sione Lousi
Sam Lisone
Ben Henry

Don't think we need an interchange hooker for Siliva. If he goes down, Tuimoala can go into hooker, Fish to fullback, Mannering or Henry to the centres and Ngani to the wing. We need some balls up front and some size. Sam Lousi and Sam Lisone offer that. Sam Lousi did NOTHING wrong in his only game this year, but got one of the biggest selection wowsers (there were a lot of them though IMO) from Cappy and found himself instantly relegated. Fish gets one wing spot, he was very good earlier in the year and Fusitua's idea of defence is to point to the spot where he wants his opponent to put the ball down. Tui to the back, one thing Tomkins can't do well is kick return, he doesn't have the ability to bust a grape from the back, but his vision is excellent. My only concern with moving him from fullback is he is excellent at coming into the line, not sure how well he'd go without being that extra man wide of the ruck working with the centres. Manu stays on the wing because he is still an outstanding winger. Last night again showed that. He wasn't at fault for the first try, Leuluai clearly was because he was basically shaking hands with Mannering's unemployed rather than spacing himself out wider, and on the second try, it was a pin point perfect kick. Without him taking it back from kicks or early in the count, which is what you lose with him moving to the pack, we had NOTHING to offer.

Yep, I know this means the end for Friend. I keep hearing blokes say he'll play to his 40. Not here he won't. Bloke makes a lot of tackles, but he's dominated in pretty much all of them creating a massive roll on through the middle. He has the speed of Herbert the Pervert from Family Guy. James Segeyaro showed it last night. In this day and age you need someone who can take advantage of a good ruck. Sure, our blokes barely ever get one, but when that opportunity arises you need someone who can play direct. Havili needs to be given more of a license to run. This year he's been content in any grade to play ball player and it takes away his biggest strength... strength.

facefacts

I think that team could do very well if they all stay fit all season:nailbiting:

1. Tomkins
2. Fish
3. Hurrell
4. Laumape
5. Lolohea
6. Hoffman...this is my wishful thinking pick, he would be the perfect type of 5/8 to compliment Shaun Johnson
7. Johnson
8. Vatuvei
9. Leuluai
10.Lillyman
11.Mannering
12.Hoffman
13.Henry

14.Kata...i know he's completely untested but he would eventually make an unbelievable impact/utility player
15.Matulino
16.Lousi....he's still very young and very inconsistent, but we see flashes of what he could turn into.
17.I dont want any of our remaining props in my top 17 so i'm not naming one.... What i would do for a James Graham type prop, come on Bell do something.

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

One thing I will also say... for a number of years I've rolled my eyes in disbelief at the criticism the Warriors have got. Lambasted in the media often, despite adverse playing field. But, we have to now cut straight through it and state the facts for what they are. We can look back in say the 2011-2012 period and say our strategy was wrong, we didn't get the succession plan through into NSW Cup right. We can look back in 2010-2011 and say our team is very young because we are building from NYC up. But its 2014 now. The succession plan into NSW Cup is now well implemented and should be paying dividends, if this is the fact of the matter. Also, being 2014, some of the younger chaps like Glen Fisiiahi, Konrad Hurrell, Ngani Laumape, Ben Henry, Sione Lousi, Sam Lousi, Sebastine Ikahihifo, and even some of the other NYC graduates of yesteryear like Ben Matulino simply can't use that as an excuse now. We should have gotten ahead of the curve if anything on that. It can only point to me that firstly there are still significant cultural issues at the club and that there is a very, very soft underbelly in the team, and we are a team that don't learn lessons well at all. Secondly, it also points that staying with the tried and true simply won't cut it. All it will do is lead to a middle of the road performance. We have to set our sites higher and accept that perhaps we may fail abysmally. Thomas Edison once said "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work", its one of my favourite quotes. I look at the Warriors and see a team that won't take risks to create a competitive advantage. We want a low risk half in Leuluai or Townsend. We won't move Tomkins. We want to blood Lolohea slowly. We don't want to let Friend go incase Havili doesn't work out. Life is about taking calculated gambles. Not the type where we constantly change our 17th man every week just to frustrate the hell out of young fringe players, and then tell them they aren't wanted anymore, its about taking a risk to create a difference. Leuluai replacing Townsend will never do that.

I've always been conservative with my selections. But I genuinely believe we are in a situation of "its broke, and we must fix it". This is a case of if we keep doing the same thing, we'll always get the same result. Irrespective of which coach has been in charge, and its worth remembering there have been 3 and Tony Iro as well, in the past 3 years we have not made the finals. We need to change up pivotal positions and create a team capable of taking advantage of opportunities. We need to create our own destiny. If the Australians think we play jungle ball or that we will tire quickly - tough titties - thats not a reason to revert to plodders in the middle and hope blokes like Todd Lowrie or Dane Neilsen can help you not get hurt too bad. Its a reason to say keep trying the innovation, until we find that edge. Get some speed through the spine, get the likes of Lisone to use his size and ball skills, and lets see if we can create something the Australian clubs are hoping we have forgotten we can be. About 4-5 years ago, we said the following at my company in a strategic re-engineering course - our competitors live in fear that we will awake - that made maximising on the strengths that those around us said we shouldn't focus on by the textbook. This is exactly the same situation. Cappy had some nads changing the defensive model earlier, but we now need speed and size to roll over opponents if we are any chance of not just scaping into the 8, but aiming for a top 4 spot.

We must accept this year has been a failure. As was 2012. As was 2013. We must accept diversity. If it means Tomkins up to 6, so be it. If it means Lolohea to the back, so be it. But we have to go for it. No point being half pregnant. That gets you nowhere fast.

ajofbrisbane

ajofbrisbane

We are short a player of the likes of JWH....he was a beast against the Rabbits the other night......name me which one of our forwards is "feared"

Reactions: Harlz and Hitman82
Boats n Hoes

Boats n Hoes

1. Lolohea (first time I saw him I thought "fullback". With Tomkins at standoff how nice would it be to at least have 75% of our spine with real ability to question the defence)
2. Fusitua (a talent but man he needs to be PUNISHED in the off season, physically and mentally)
3. Laumape
4. Hurrell (re Fusitua)
5. Fisiahi (lace bones with adamantium, or drink a bag of cement and harden the fuck up! Be nice to have that sort of speed though)
6. Tomkins
7. Johnson
8. Sione Louisi (if we dont somehow miraculously pick up a giant oompa in the offseason, I always sort of wonder with Lousi if he cut his hair would you even notice him on the park?)
9. Havili (give him a shot. He's done his apprenticeship. He's shown some ability. If he's not up to it now he never will be. Henry on the bench to spell him and provide some defensive steel if needed. Both Friend and Leuluai don't make my team)
10. Lillyman
11. Matulino (was looking good for a while their attacking out on the edges, I think he needs to just stay there. When they put him back in the front row he kind of had this hybrid game which left him nowhere really)
12. Hoffman
13. Mannering

14. Henry
15. Matagi (unless we can pick up better props)
16. Rapira (unless we can pick up better props)
17. Vatuvei (I'm still more than happy to have him as a wing and don't really want to move him but this team lacks size. in this team he spells Matulino. I'd have him as more of a direct, hard charging 2nd rower, bought into the pack in similar lines to how Bennett transitioned Michael Hancock to the forwards. This spot should be Mateos, unfortunately, he's fucking useless.

In all honesty I don't like this team. The source of our problems lie with the pack. We've failed to address the lack of size and punch to dent the line and garner ruck speed for so long now. With our current roster it still won't be addressed so depressingly, I can't see us seriously challenging the top teams anytime soon. That backline hugely inexperienced, Matai becomes a priority for me, although for sheer speed alone I'd be excited to see Shaun Johnson, Tomkins, Lolohea, and Fish operate.

Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
1. Sam Tomkins
2. David Fusitua/Glen Fisiiahi
3. Konrad Hurrell
4. Tuimoala Lolohea
5. Ngani Laumape
6. Chad Townsend
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Sam Rapira
9. Siliva Havili
10. Jacob Lillyman
11. Simon Mannering
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Sebastine Ikahihifo
14. Ben Henry
15. Ben Matulino
16. Sione Lousi
17. Manu Vatuvei
Sam Tomkins has proven how good he is. One of our most consistant players and improved our attack by a large margin. The best fullback in the club and one of the first picked.
David Fusitua/Glen Fisiiahi. Will fight it out for this wing spot. Both fairly breakable and both can offer a great deal when fully fit and firing. I would be leaning towards the Fish
Konrad Hurrell. This was actually a hard choice for me. Love what he can do with the ball in hand but I’m not sure his future is in the centres. Should be a second rower or impact bench forward I think. Has a lot of improvement to do particularly in fitness and defence.
Tuimoala Lolohea. I don’t think the halves is his best position just yet. I think he has the ability and size to play centre and be really good at it. Potentially could play 6 later in his career. This would give him a great introduction to consistent first grade without the pressure of running the team. I also don’t believe having to running 6’s in our halves is the way to go and I don't believe Tui is ready for this yet.
Ngani Laumape. Moving the beast to the bench could mean our sets might start off a lot weaker. Ngani has filled in for Manu previously and we didn’t lose much in terms of meters made from our number 5. Still improving but has a big future.
Chad Townsend. The best current option at 6 IMO. Was forming a great partnership with Shaun Johnson and the last few games without him in the team showed a huge difference in everything from structure in attack, repeats sets, talk and urgency. As someone else said on here, he turned Mannering into a try scoring machine. Without him the left side looked impotent.
Shaun Johnson is a running, jinking, play what’s in front of him type half. Absolutely brilliant on his day. Needs a controlling, organising half to get the best out of him. Future captain IMO.
Sam Rapira, well below his best this season but is there anyone else available and ready? Still one of the best at getting fast play the balls.
Siliva Havili has to be given a chance to show what he can do in first grade. I love Nathan Friend but it is time to move on. Not sure if Siliva can last 80 minutes but Henry can spell him for 15-20 minutes if required.
Jacob Lillyman, solid, consistent and hard working. I wish more of our forwards were more like him. Good enough to make S.O.O. while playing for our team. He must be ok.
Simon Mannering is the best all round player in the team IMO. Could be an absolute superstar forward in nearly any other team. Gets a lot of shit, unwarranted IMO.
Ryan Hoffman. NSW S.O.O. player and the next Aussie import to hit our shores. Will be interesting to see how he goes outside of the structured Melbourne system. Well worth the money IMO to bring that competitive edge.
Sebastine Ikahihifo is my most improved player for 2014. Hard hitter and hard worker. Will be even better next season.
Ben Henry. Mr Fix it. Not sure he is the best in any position but can play a lot of them. Too nice for my liking but a valuable utility off the bench.
Ben Matulino. Hasn’t been anywhere near his best for a few seasons now. At times doesn’t look like he wants to be here and has gone missing in games. Needs to get back to running hard and tackling hard.
Sione Lousi has bought some much needed mongrel to the team. I thought he had some break out games this year but needs to find the consistency in performance.
Manu Vatuvei. The Beast. I actually struggled with this call for quite a while. I think this is his future though. Easily our best meter making forward this year and he doesn’t even play in the pack! Could be one of the games most destructive forwards in the very near future.
So there you have it. The best players in their positions IMO playing that position, for the most part.. And a team that complements each others skills with variety and versatility.

That's the best with what we've got I think.

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

1. Lolohea
2. Fish
3. Laumape
4. Hurrell (he and Laumape's off seasons is going to be really interesting I don't mind if he lost weight because he will still have his speed)
5. Fusitua
6. Tomkins (I like this idea but I hope he bulks up a little bit and I'm happy he lasted a whole season of NRL he is such a machine! Just needs better boots)
7. Johnson
8. Lilyman
9. Havili
10. Matulino
11. Hoffman
12. Rapira (his defence is good and runs some good lines too. Worth a go.)
13. Mannering
14. Henry
15. Matagi
16. Sione Lousi (needs firing up though)
17. Ikahihifo

That's what I got. Still hoping for a monster prop though.

You would drop Manu?

Perth warrior

My team with what we currently have.

1. Lolohea
2. Fish
3. Laumape
4. Hurrell
5. Fusitua
6. Tomkins
7. Johnson
8. Vatuvei (captain)
9. Leulaui
10. Mannering
11. Henry
12. Hoffman
13. Lousi

14. Lillyman
15. Rapira
16. Matagi
17. Matulino

I would move V too prop start next season and also make captain. I would make Hoffman vice to taKe over when V goes off. Bulk Mannering up to a 80min prop.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
agree with Mt Wellington and InsideBall that Tomkins needs to GTFO and move to the halves. I'm sick of watching him get ragdoll'd trying to make kick returns...he even tackled himself last night, when the force of him putting a fend on someone actually made him fall over. Even my GF who is a casual observer recognised how ineffective his running game was last night. She asked me why he kept falling over, groaned every time he tried to make a run, and then at the end of the game said he was shit and was her least favourite player haha.. I couldn't really disagree with anything she was saying. I really don't think he meets the minimum physical requirements of a fullback..
Couldn't agree more and hadn't actually written notes beside my players to explain why but you've hit the nail on the head. I haven't stuck Tomkins in the halves because I think we need him there but because he's a ineffective on the kick returns and last line defence. His support play is amazing but thats only a small aspect of the fullback role. When you measure him against other fullbacks in the NRL there arent many he is better then. Be lucky to make the top 10 or just sneaks in IMO.

His inability to get our sets off to the right start is hampering our go forward and makes our edge backs and pack work that much harder to get us out of our half. By surrending as he does its allows the opposition the chance to set their defensive line right in our 20 metre mark. Very rarely does he ever run at the line and thats simply not good enough. May have worked in the ESL but this is the NRL. This is one of the main reasons why our edge backs have to do so much extra work. They are stuck on our line and our forwards are still retreating from defending the oppositions last set or Tomkins will run across field and pass the ball to avoid returning it himself.

The other thing is his last line of defence. He finally saved a try against the Panthers but he was helped by 3-4 other players. By himself he will chicken out and only make a half-arse attempt to tackle. Either that or he lacks the stopping power or just ackles around the legs without attempting to wrap the ball up. Thats not good enough for NRL level. You have to put your body on the line. Say what you guys want about Kevin Locke but he did exactly that every time.

I understand what Sam brings in terms of attack though. His support play and link work is the best in the team bar none. His fitness is also impressive. He can run all day. I dont see why he cant do that from standoff much inthe same way James Maloney did. There are actually a lot of similarities between the two. Great vision, speed and support play but couldnt tackle to save their lives.

I dont know if he is going to bulk up in the off season and Im not sure what that will do to his agility and speed or whether it will even help but I do know that something has to change cause only nailing 40% of your job isnt good enough and we certainly arent getting a good enough return on a million dollars a season...

JBmurc

JBmurc

IMHO the team we need to make a top4 .....

1. J. Hoffman*/fish
2. Lolohea/Laumape
3. Matai* (vice Captain)
4. Hurrell / Danger
5.Tomkins/Allwood
6. Chad
7. Johnson
8. Shillington*
9. Havili
10. Matulino
11. Mannering
12. Hoffman ( captain)
13. Lousi/henry

14. Lillyman
15. B Hannant *
16. Vatuvei (impact prop)
17. Ikahihifo

Of course many players can be moved round but we need the likes of the 22-23 core players above playing smart footy

the rest can either play in NSW cup for depth or FUCK OFF

Last edited:
Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
Couldn't agree more and hadn't actually written notes beside my players to explain why but you've hit the nail on the head. I haven't stuck Tomkins in the halves because I think we need him there but because he's a ineffective on the kick returns and last line defence. His support play is amazing but thats only a small aspect of the fullback role. When you measure him against other fullbacks in the NRL there arent many he is better then. Be lucky to make the top 10 or just sneaks in IMO.

His inability to get our sets off to the right start is hampering our go forward and makes our edge backs and pack work that much harder to get us out of our half. By surrending as he does its allows the opposition the chance to set their defensive line right in our 20 metre mark. Very rarely does he ever run at the line and thats simply not good enough. May have worked in the ESL but this is the NRL. This is one of the main reasons why our edge backs have to do so much extra work. They are stuck on our line and our forwards are still retreating from defending the oppositions last set or Tomkins will run across field and pass the ball to avoid returning it himself.

The other thing is his last line of defence. He finally saved a try against the Panthers but he was helped by 3-4 other players. By himself he will chicken out and only make a half-arse attempt to tackle. Either that or he lacks the stopping power or just ackles around the legs without attempting to wrap the ball up. Thats not good enough for NRL level. You have to put your body on the line. Say what you guys want about Kevin Locke but he did exactly that every time.

I understand what Sam brings in terms of attack though. His support play and link work is the best in the team bar none. His fitness is also impressive. He can run all day. I dont see why he cant do that from standoff much inthe same way James Maloney did. There are actually a lot of similarities between the two. Great vision, speed and support play but couldnt tackle to save their lives.

I dont know if he is going to bulk up in the off season and Im not sure what that will do to his agility and speed or whether it will even help but I do know that something has to change cause only nailing 40% of your job isnt good enough and we certainly arent getting a good enough return on a million dollars a season...
40%? Please! Are you serious?