General YOUR 2023 WARRIORS TEAM

Wrighty

Wrighty

Yeah mate, look I actually agreed with a lot of what you posted, I just don't think they're locked in certainties as such.

For what it's worth, I believe Afoa and Ale are locked in for bench spots (unless they train the house down and jag that 2nd starting prop position) and Vailea starting at centre too.

I hope I didn't come across too harsh!
Gosh this web site has the nicest people on it. You guys are awesome. Thanks also Defence for the chuckle with the Papa Smurf pic. Very funny.

I couldn't put Afoa and Ale on the bench as certainties just yet as one of them could end up being the 10 spot like you said.
I nearly put Vailea in the team as locked in but I read today that some articles about the Warriors list Walker and Niukore as our first choice centres and that the incumbents such as Vailea will have to show well at pre season to beat them out in pre season.

In the end the guys I listed as locked in, the controversy about Jazz nothwithstanding, are in my view pretty firmly locked in. We still will have to wait for different articles to come out to learn who is 10 and who both centres are....

In the meantime we should start hearing some news next week about 2024 warriiors acquistion targets as now that the world cup is over reports of the offers we are making should start to appear.

• Love
Reactions: Defence and Toookey
wellyboy

wellyboy

Contributor
Here in that case is just the locked in players
Locked in by either a Webster comment or because it is obvious and clear they will play eg Addin Fonua-Blake at prop

1 Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2 Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
6 Te Maire Martin
7 Shaun Johnson
8 Addin Fonua-Blake
9 Egan
13 Harris

14 Dylan Walker
15 Jazz
Yea i wasn't sure where webby wanted Tohu Harris. Lock or 2nd row. He wants him as a playmaker and ball runner. Is 13 a better position to be more ball involved? Just asking..

AlexM

AlexM

Gosh this web site has the nicest people on it. You guys are awesome. Thanks also Defence for the chuckle with the Papa Smurf pic. Very funny.

I couldn't put Afoa and Ale on the bench as certainties just yet as one of them could end up being the 10 spot like you said.
I nearly put Vailea in the team as locked in but I read today that some articles about the Warriors list Walker and Niukore as our first choice centres and that the incumbents such as Vailea will have to show well at pre season to beat them out in pre season.

In the end the guys I listed as locked in, the controversy about Jazz nothwithstanding, are in my view pretty firmly locked in. We still will have to wait for different articles to come out to learn who is 10 and who both centres are....

In the meantime we should start hearing some news next week about 2024 warriiors acquistion targets as now that the world cup is over reports of the offers we are making should start to appear.
I'd agree with you in saying Jazz will be 15. 16. Or 17.
Just given our squad , imo. He is locked in

Wrighty

Wrighty

My team round 1

01. Te Maire Martin
02. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
03. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
04. Villiame Vailea
05. Marcelo Montoya
06. Luke Metcalf
07. Shaun Johnson

08. Addin Fonua Blake
09. Jazz Tevaga
10. Marata Niukore
11. Josh Curran
12. Mitchell Barnett
13. Tohu Harris

14. Dylan Walker
15. Bunty Afoa
16. Wayde Egan
17. Ben Murdoch Masilla
Nice team that optomises attack
I use the word optmomises as it means to maximise something with constraints or while limiting drawbacks. With drawbacks being points conceeded as your team so reasonable at defence as well.

Geoff Public

Geoff Public

Don't Warri Be Happy
Contributor
What positions can metcalf play? can he swing centre? wing?
I'd have him st 1st drop in the halves Wrighty. Shaun Johnson is likely to get injured at some stage. Also I read somewhere the coach reckons he's pushing for a spot. Probably a little extra motivation for the 1st picks. Anywsy like a few others I'm keen to see how he goes.

Reactions: Toookey

JaggedJ

What positions can metcalf play? can he swing centre? wing?

Definitely not.

Either half....maybe fullback or bench utility which Walker is ahead of him for.

His best bet is to wait for an opportunity in the halves or maybe Walker will be needed in centre and he becomes a utility.

Reactions: Paulo24
Wrighty

Wrighty

I'd have him st 1st drop in the halves Wrighty. Shaun Johnson is likely to get injured at some stage. Also I read somewhere the coach reckons he's pushing for a spot. Probably a little extra motivation for the 1st picks. Anywsy like a few others I'm keen to see how he goes.
At least he is on the runway at the warriors while at the sharks they were never going to play him bar a token game at the end of the season
Perhaps they will have Shaun on a short leash as well this year and even drop him if his form is poor

Fonzie

Fonzie

Contributor
I spoke to Metcalf briefly after a NSW Cup game last year. He was genuinely pumped to come to the Warriors. I hope we give him every opportunity. I reckon he’s a 6 or a 1
To answer your question Wrighty, yes he will struggle in D, like all smallish debutants do.

Reactions: TeetsNRL

Socrates

Nice team that optomises attack
I use the word optmomises as it means to maximise something with constraints or while limiting drawbacks. With drawbacks being points conceeded as your team so reasonable at defence as well.
We need to look at other successful teams and learn i.e Panther starting Kenny at hooker then bringing Korisau on with tiring defence. Tevaga can do a role at hooker strong defender soak up the early pressure with a simple passing gameplan. Niukore could be successful as a prop, big enough good mobility, experience, aggressive. Charnze at centre, experience as incumbant Kiwis centre. Te Maire at Full-back (did so well complementing the halves at Brisbane). Metcalf is x-factor and every team needs that in the spine. Luai, Brown, Walker etc awesome 6's. Pack will be bolstered significantly by Barnett imo. Genuine workhorse, hits hard on D and runs good lines. could be our version of a Liam Martin. So yeah thats my rant over but somebody please get this team to Webster, make us Panthers version 2.0

Defence

Defence

I reckon it weakens those positions defensively and Webster is going to think about defence first if he wants to build a winning team. So i can't see that happening.
Why do u say that?
For me metcalf is an upgrade on Walsh and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is a better defender than any other center on our books- yes he struggled a bit against Australia but no one else on our roster would’ve done any better.
Who would be your centers then? Surely not berry or vailea if defence is the main concern.
I also like the idea of Shaun Johnson playing through the middle with Te Maire Martin on one edge and metcalf on the other- gives us strike both sides of the field.

Socrates

Why do u say that?
For me metcalf is an upgrade on Walsh and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is a better defender than any other center on our books- yes he struggled a bit against Australia but no one else on our roster would’ve done any better.
Who would be your centers then? Surely not berry or vailea if defence is the main concern.
I also like the idea of Shaun Johnson playing through the middle with Te Maire Martin on one edge and metcalf on the other- gives us strike both sides of the field.
Metcalf needs to cut his teeth in the NRL before being started in the hardest position on the feild (Fullback). For the best part of the last 2 seasons we have hosted a rookie fullback in Walsh and despite the prestigous talent we saw that his lack of experience cost us in important moments. I would play Metcalf but as a 5/8 where he can be protected somewhat in the front line and not be exposed as our last line of defence...