General Young Vodafone Warriors Heading To Sydney For Rookie Camp

EnterFien_old

Four Vodafone Warriors will be among 60 players at the National Rugby League’s third annual three-day rookie camp starting in Sydney on Sunday.
Promising 17-year-old prop Russell Packer, who captained the Junior Kiwis last year, will be joined by loose forward Scott Jones (19), also a Junior Kiwi last year, plus two more 19-year-olds in centre Miguel Start and winger Solomona.
As well as being members of the Auckland Lions side that won the 2006 Bartercard Cup grand final, Start and Solomona also played for Samoa in its World Cup-qualifying campaign late last year.
All four players are on super elite contracts enabling them to train full-time with the Vodafone Warriors’ NRL squad.
In the previous two years winger Manu Vatuvei and utility Simon Mannering have been to the rookie camp, both going on to become Kiwi test players only a few months later. Of the Vodafone Warriors’ 2006 NRL squad, winger Cooper Vuna, back rower Sonny Fai and prop Sam Rapira have also been to the camp along with the likes of Greg Inglis, Benji Marshall and Karmichael Hunt
Apart from the four Vodafone Warriors, 2006 Dally M Rookie of the Year Jarryd Hayne, the exciting Parramatta winger, is among this year’s intake.
Since the first camp in 2005 more than 75 percent of the participants have gone on to play first grade, 12 have played for their country and seven have played in a winning grand final team.
This year’s programme has been expanded to include four members of the Referees’ Development Squad and another new component of the camp will see ABC rugby league commentator Craig Hamilton address participants on men’s mental health issues.
Every aspect of life as a professional athlete, both on and off field, will be covered, including discussions on making the most of media and sponsorship opportunities, issues relating to off-field behaviour, dealing with the challenges of suddenly becoming a role model and preparing for life beyond football.
The camp will see influential past and present players pass on advice based on their own experiences (Bradley Clyde, Tim Sheens, Ben Ikin, Laurie Daley, Craig Fitzgibbon, Andrew Ryan among others).

STRIDER_old

All 4 of these guys are great talents, But ill give an extra special nod to Russel Packer and Miguel Start. 2 players im sure will go on to become established Warrior stars in the future.

warriorfaithful*_old

All 4 of these guys are great talents, But ill give an extra special nod to Russel Packer and Miguel Start. 2 players im sure will go on to become established Warrior stars in the future.
Yeah, i've heard good things of Russel Packer! And he's just 19 i think.

milcr_old

Yeah Ive heard that Russell Packer is going to be something quite special. But I dont see him sticking with the Warriors for much longer. When he won his price at the NZRL Awards Ropo asked him if it was a dream to be playing for the Warriors and if thats the dream he'd always had. He replied, something along the lines of "nah not really, Im just pleased to take up this opportunity, we'll see what the future brings. Something along those lines, I remember hearing them at the time and thinking we'll theres a guy whos gona jump ship as soon as a big Aussie team offers him a contract! As usual, the Warriors will do all the hard work getting him up to NRL Standards and someone will poach him!!

sebastian_old

Yeah Ive heard that Russell Packer is going to be something quite special. But I dont see him sticking with the Warriors for much longer. When he won his price at the NZRL Awards Ropo asked him if it was a dream to be playing for the Warriors and if thats the dream he'd always had. He replied, something along the lines of "nah not really, Im just pleased to take up this opportunity, we'll see what the future brings. Something along those lines, I remember hearing them at the time and thinking we'll theres a guy whos gona jump ship as soon as a big Aussie team offers him a contract! As usual, the Warriors will do all the hard work getting him up to NRL Standards and someone will poach him!!

I bloody hope we don't lose him to a damn sydney club, does anyone know how long we've signed Russel Packer? Hopefully he gets attached to NZ with family so he ends up not wanting to go.

blain91_old

mmm thats probaly about right. i hope he does stay for at least a full year playing nrl 4 us so we can have a look at him, maybe next year

sebastian_old

I bloody hope we don't lose him to a damn sydney club, does anyone know how long we've signed Russel Packer? Hopefully he gets attached to NZ with family so he ends up not wanting to go.

Wiki_old

Uhhh are you sure you heard right?

I read an interview with him that said he had the opportunity already to go to a Sydney club and he turned it down. Being with his brother was a big factor and the fact that he wanted to stay in New Zealand also.

EnterFien_old

Uhhh are you sure you heard right?

I read an interview with him that said he had the opportunity already to go to a Sydney club and he turned it down. Being with his brother was a big factor and the fact that he wanted to stay in New Zealand also.

I read the same thing. I think he will be with the warriors for a long time. Or until the English Super League throws 100's of 1000's of dollars his way