Internationals World Cup Final - Kiwis vs. Kangaroos

mode81

mode81

Agreed, Johnson gets so much shit for his performances, but Foran has been average for most of his games for the kiwis. At least Johnson tried things, Foran just sat back and watched the slaughter unfold, might as well not even played.

Yeah hardout, Foran is a protected species by some fan's to me he deserves as much criticism as anyone else, still a bit over rated to me, just doesn't take control of things when we need him to, few moments here and there but most of the time just anonymous, as you mentioned, all he did was sit back and watch the slaughter unfold without contributing in any way, he wouldn't do that for Manly.

Reactions: 1 user
wallacenz

wallacenz

saw bits and pieces of the game over the last few days and slater was brilliant from what i saw. i think that puts to rest any thought that locke would be the next slater. in the air on defence and his ability to cross the line, slater is in a class of his own.

on that, all week the aussies talked about how slater was going through some of the hardest training sessions to test his injury. he was supposedly getting smashed by Inglis. WTF were the kiwi coachs doing with Roger Tuivasa-Sheck last week?

Kearney has to go.

Reactions: 3 users
Sup42

Sup42

The reason Foran gets ignored is our club season doesn't hang on his name.

mode81

mode81

Yep Kearney selected Tuivasa Scheck for the benefit of tournament organisers because he wasn't good to go, mark of a real idiot, little care for the kid's future just throw him to the wolves and disadvantage your team...

Just flawed team selections for the semi and final, that's what gripes me, Kangaroos played outstanding no doubting that but our team selections just eat away at me, the non selected players would have made a massive difference, it seems Kearney and Cleary had their side set in stone a long way back without any room for tinkering or positional changes, we all saw the flaws with team selections in the final, apart from a few forwards who 'worked hard' Manu was doing all the forwards work, Alex Glenn on the wing, just totally disjointed, comes back to team selections.

Viking

Viking

Why on earth did they take Inu, neither coach likes him and Cleary didn't want him at club level. Especially after turning the Kiwis down last year too. IMO despite all his flaws, if he was in the squad he should've played and in the one game he did play, he went well. If they weren't gonna pick him cos he doesn't puke at training, then take the next best centre available cos both of them knew what they were getting when they selected him.

The biggest dissappointment for me was JWH. This year he seemed to have finally become the player he should've always been, a big motor and making big meters which played a huge part in getting to and winning the grand final. Then he gets to this tournament and it's back to the big hits and bluster. I'm sure Kearney hooked him in a few games when he looked like he was ready to give some stupid penalties away. Perhaps Moa is his foil?

Reactions: 3 users
Sup42

Sup42

Why on earth did they take Inu, neither coach likes him and Cleary didn't want him at club level. Especially after turning the Kiwis down last year too. IMO despite all his flaws, if he was in the squad he should've played and in the one game he did play, he went well. If they weren't gonna pick him cos he doesn't puke at training, then take the next best centre available cos both of them knew what they were getting when they selected him.

The biggest dissappointment for me was JWH. This year he seemed to have finally become the player he should've always been, a big motor and making big meters which played a huge part in getting to and winning the grand final. Then he gets to this tournament and it's back to the big hits and bluster. I'm sure Kearney hooked him in a few games when he looked like he was ready to give some stupid penalties away. Perhaps Moa is his foil?

Good point about Inu , why take him indeed.

And what of young Hoffman used as some kind of Lockes bridesmaid by his own club coach.

Hoffman I doubt would have been short of Locke in training effort. This nepotist republic Cleary and Kearney prepare....must be stopped.

Swanley

Swanley

Our problem was our final was against England. We put too much effoprt into that game and it impacted us in the Final. Why was Roger Tuivasa-Sheck not tested like Billy Slater before the test? We have suitable wing replacements in Inu.

What was really bad is that we seemed to have no structure and Foren just did not pass the ball enough. He takes the line on too often. I can only remember us attacking their line about 3 times.

Our best player by a mile was Manu. He cuased them issues everytime. Locke also went well, actually all the Warrior boys went well, which was a surprise.

I will try and post some more photos.

Last edited:
Sup42

Sup42

Our problem was our final was against England. We put too much effoprt into that game and it impacted us in the Final. Why was Roger Tuivasa-Sheck not tested like Billy Slater before the test? We have suitable wing replacements in Inu.

What was really bad is that we seemed to have no structure and Foren just did not pass the ball enough. He takes the line on too often. I can only remember us attacking their line about 3 times.

Our best player by a mile was Manu. He cuased them issues everytime. Like also went well, actually all the Warrior boys went well, which was a surprise.

I will try and post some more photos.
Musta been a tough watch at the ground good on you for being there man

Zarjaz

Kiwis just don't like a fast game and the Aussies were freaking ruthless. What gets to me is just how easy it was for the Aussies to pressure and rattle the Kiwis. Someone mentioned football smarts earlier … there's definitely something in that I think. Once the Kiwis are under pressure they sort of implode. Guess the England game highlighted that too… and to some extent, even some of the earlier matches as well (for brief patches at least) … lack of composure under stress. Though I guess it's hard when you're on the back foot from the get go.

Reactions: 2 users
RidingPie

RidingPie

Being at the match it was very odd. The atmosphere was very subdued considering there was nearly 75k people there.

The two biggest differences for me was that kiwi's kicking game and their error count. The Kiwi's were always running the ball back from their own line whilst the aussies always got it on their 20m or 30m. Also the error count. I can't remember more than a couple of errors from the aussies, far less than the kiwis.

I like to think England would have done better... sadly I don't think we would.

Swanley

Swanley

Being at the match it was very odd. The atmosphere was very subdued considering there was nearly 75k people there.

The two biggest differences for me was that kiwi's kicking game and their error count. The Kiwi's were always running the ball back from their own line whilst the aussies always got it on their 20m or 30m. Also the error count. I can't remember more than a couple of errors from the aussies, far less than the kiwis.

I like to think England would have done better... sadly I don't think we would.
Agree Riding Pie.

It was very quiet, I just think if we had scored a try early the crowd would have joined in more. I think the semi final was too much for the Kiwis and I would even say that Engalnd would of suffered as well.

We just lost the ball too often on the 1st tackle and Johnson's last tackle options were very poor - a bomb with hardly anyone chasing! Hayne was hurt early on, so we really needed to target him, which we did not. it looked like he was close to going off. We should of kicked the ball to him everytime and smashed him.

What I would say is that we contained Inglis well but Cam Smith killed us at hooker, markers spent a lot of time wating for him to do somethng rather than one going him and one going for the runner.

at the end of the day, we lacked energy and Australia where just to strong.

RidingPie

RidingPie

Agree Riding Pie.

It was very quiet, I just think if we had scored a try early the crowd would have joined in more. I think the semi final was too much for the Kiwis and I would even say that Engalnd would of suffered as well.

We just lost the ball too often on the 1st tackle and Johnson's last tackle options were very poor - a bomb with hardly anyone chasing! Hayne was hurt early on, so we really needed to target him, which we did not. it looked like he was close to going off. We should of kicked the ball to him everytime and smashed him.

What I would say is that we contained Inglis well but Cam Smith killed us at hooker, markers spent a lot of time wating for him to do somethng rather than one going him and one going for the runner.

at the end of the day, we lacked energy and Australia where just to strong.

I think the crowd were willing the kiwis on but once they knocked on in the first set (or might have been the second it was very early though), it really set the tone.

I wondered at the time why you weren't running and kicking Hayne to death. I guess that comes down to a bit of smarts and a ruthless streak at half back... hopefully Johnson will learn a lot from that. The danger of the Aussies though is that is one or two of their strike players has a bad day another one steps up. Smith and Thurston were outstanding!

I'm now listening to a queue of aussies telling me how Origin is more competitive, though they keep getting upset when I ask how many different series winners there have been over the last 8 years!

I keep thinking that it would be great if we could organise an England v New Zealand match while the Aussies are playing themselves to try can build our respective teams level of competition, but then you'd face the problems of moving one of the teams half way round the world for one week. Perhaps we could change the exiles concept round the other way so it would be the british exiles in aus playing New Zealand. We're getting to the point where that would be a fairly decent team.

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

It's not really Johnson's fault if nobody bothers chasing his kicks - same as at the Warriors - everybody knows what he is going to do with 5th tackle possession that far out so why are a mob in black not just behind him and ready to tear down field?

RidingPie

RidingPie

It's clearly one of two things. Either the team doesn't know what he's doing on last tackle options in certain circumstances or he's breaking the plan made before the game and doing what he thinks is right.

If it's the former it's a communication and I'd argue coaching/ planning issue. If it's the latter he's just chosen a bad option. Either way he'll learn to communicate better or his decision making will improve.

mode81

mode81

Kangaroos showed how average and predictable Issac Luke can be in pressure games, it's no coincidence because we've seen it at club level when the Rabbitohs went deep into the finals in the last few seasons and faltered due to Luke being shut down and smothered, same thing for the Kiwis he starts doing foolish and clumsy plays like running into three and four defenders, mistiming his passes, at times not even making it to dummy half, his composure's not where it needs to be and he's still a long way from maturing as a footballer in terms of a killer instinct and learning how to close out games.

Reactions: 1 users
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Kangaroos showed how average and predictable Issac Luke can be in pressure games, it's no coincidence because we've seen it at club level when the Rabbitohs went deep into the finals in the last few seasons and faltered due to Luke being shut down and smothered, same thing for the Kiwis he starts doing foolish and clumsy plays like running into three and four defenders, mistiming his passes, at times not even making it to dummy half, his composure's not where it needs to be and he's still a long way from maturing as a footballer in terms of a killer instinct and learning how to close out games.

I think you just summed up every player in the NZ side. NZ play panic ball, Australia in the same situation fall back on structure and solid basics

Reactions: 1 users
wallacenz

wallacenz

does Issac Luke have a kicking game?

tajhay

tajhay

🏉
Someone at NRL.com didnt know the differences between the aus and nz flag it seems. The stats supplier NRLSTATS passed them the right information, yet they still messed it up. On a side note, a company half owned by AFL will be doing the stats for the NRL next year.

Nz worldcup win

¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

Someone at NRL.com didnt know the differences between the aus and nz flag it seems. The stats supplier NRLSTATS passed them the right information, yet they still messed it up. On a side note, a company half owned by AFL will be doing the stats for the NRL next year.

View attachment 5052
I'm taking that score as the official final score. Therefore, the Kiwis have defended their crown, by my reckoning.