General World Club Challenge

leeds_warrior_old

The 2009 Carnegie World Club Challenge between Leeds Rhinos and Manly Sea Eagles will be played at Elland Road, Leeds on Sunday 1 March, kick off 6pm.
It will be the third time in the last five years that the home of Leeds United has staged this annual world title bout between the engage Super League Champions and the Australian NRL Telstra Premiership winners.
On the last two occasions the game has been played at Elland Road, the Rhinos have run out winners both times. In 2005 they claimed the world title by beating Canterbury Bulldogs 39-32 and last year they defeated Melbourne Storm 11-4 in terrible conditions.
Should they beat Manly in March they will become the first team in the 33 year history of the match to be crowned World Champions in consecutive years.
Brian McClennan, Leeds Rhinos’ head coach, said: ''It’s fantastic that we’re going to be able to pit our wits against one of the biggest names in World Rugby whilst also having the opportunity to make history by becoming the first team to win back-to-back world titles.
''Manly are a formidable outfit and ooze class throughout their side. As well as the players they have in the Australian World Cup squad they also have players like Jamie Lyon and Matt Orford who won the Dally M award this year.
''I’m also delighted that this game is going to be played at a venue where the whole of the city can turn out to show their support. This is a big city occasion and in the past Elland Road has proved very lucky for the Rhinos. Hopefully we can continue our winning streak there next year in front of a full-house.''
For Manly it will be the first time they have appeared in a Carnegie World Club Challenge since 1987 when they lost 8-2 to Wigan in front of 36,000 fans at Central Park. They qualified for the world title match by defeating last year’s Carnegie World Club Challenge finalists Melbourne Storm in the NRL Grand Final, 40-0.
Coached by Des Hasler, a member of the 1987 Manly team, the Sea Eagles boast eight players who are currently involved in the Rugby League World Cup Down Under.
This includes five players in the Australia squad who could come head-to-head against a number of English Leeds Rhinos players this weekend when the two countries meet in the World Cup in Melbourne.
In addition Manly also boast former St Helens centre and Man of Steel winner Jamie Lyon amongst their ranks together with Matt Orford, this year’s winner of the Dally M award, Australia’s equivalent of the Man of Steel.
Manly Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler said: “As shown with their two Grand Final triumphs and last year’s victory over Melbourne Storm, Leeds Rhinos are a big game team who will present a huge challenge for us in our attempt to be crowned Carnegie World Club Challenge Champions.
''The quality of their team is shown by the fact that they have so many players in the England squad. We’re taking this game extremely seriously and will be flying into the UK well before 1 March in order to get rid of the jet lag and get used to the conditions.''
In preparation for the Carnegie World Club Challenge match against Leeds Rhinos, Manly Sea Eagles will fly into London on 14 February and will play a warm-up game against Harlequins RL at the Twickenham Stoop on 19 February.
Harlequins RL head coach Brian McDermott: ''Playing Manly in a warm up gives the club a chance to challenge themselves against the best team from Australia. The players are excited about this as I’m sure will be our fans. It promises to be a great start to our campaign.''
Tickets for the Carnegie World Club Challenge match between Leeds Rhinos and Manly Sea Eagles will go on-sale in mid November from both the RFL Box Office and Leeds Rhinos with prices starting from £20 for adults, £10 for concessions.
The match will be shown live on Sky Sports, with highlights on the BBC.

https://www.leedsrugby.com/

leeds_warrior_old

Been both times to the finals and seen us win both but think Manly could be tough. Looked good in NRL Grand Final. Would love us to win it a 3rd time and go joint most time winners and see us be first team to win it twice in a row.

Kid-Dynamite_old

What's the head to head stats in this annual fixture?
i.e how many games have there been and whose won them (NRL or ESL)

Northern_Union

Can't help but think league is missing the boat by playing these games in England and Australia.

Why not play these games in places where we could develop league. Jacksonville seems to have got it's self a regular game, why play the WCC in Paris or Hong Kong or Murryfield....

Jesbass_old

I don't know the exact tally, Kid, but I think you'll find that the ESL teams have won more than the NRL teams. This could potentially be due to the fact that it is most often held in England.

Northern_Union

I think Manly and Brisbane are the only NRL sides to have won the WCC Kid. The poms are way ahead by about 10 - 3 i believe.

Jesbass_old

Can't help but think league is missing the boat by playing these games in England and Australia.

Why not play these games in places where we could develop league. Jacksonville seems to have got it's self a regular game, why play the WCC in Paris or Hong Kong or Murryfield....

I agree. It's basically an exhibition match. Play it in a non-league location, such as Dubai (which is offering loads of cash for teams that play there) and help to expand the game.

Skinny_Ravs82

If the NRL teams don't bring their best players on the field like the ESL teams do, we'll never win that game. And if teams can be more balanced don't play it. Yes, it bugs me the NRL clubs haven't yet found a way to win that darn thing!

Jesbass_old

If the NRL teams don't bring their best players on the field like the ESL teams do, we'll never win that game. And if teams can be more balanced don't play it. Yes, it bugs me the NRL clubs haven't yet found a way to win that darn thing!

I think Manly and Brisbane are the only NRL sides to have won the WCC Kid. The poms are way ahead by about 10 - 3 i believe.

Seriously, reading through the thread makes for a more astute comment.

The WCC has been won by the Aussie champions 5 times.

leeds_warrior_old

I may be wrong with this but i think this is the history of the WCC.

1976 Eastern Suburbs beat St Helens in Australia
1987 Wigan beat Manly in England
1989 Widnes beat Canberra in England
1991 Wigan beat Penrith in England
1992 Brisbane beat Wigan in England
1994 Wigan beat Brisbane in Australia
1997 Brisbane beat Hunter Mariners in New Zealand
2000 Melbourne beat St Helens in England
2001 St Helens beat Brisbane in England
2002 Bradford beat Newcastle in England
2003 Sydney Roosters beat St Helens in England
2004 Bradford beat Penrith in England
2005 Leeds beat Canterbury in England
2006 Bradford beat Wests Tigers in England
2007 St Helens beat Brisbane in England
2008 Leeds beat Melbourne in England

So guess the score at the minute is British teams 11 Aussies 5

leeds_warrior_old

From what i hear though Manly are up for this match. There coming over earlier and as a warm up game instead of playing a National League team there playing a Super League team in a friendly. I can actually see Manly winning this but being a Rhinos fan i hope not.

raypower_old

Between all your moping and whinging and controversy you come up with the idea from time to time. Well done. I like you a lot.

Northern_Union

Between all your moping and whinging and controversy you come up with the idea from time to time. Well done. I like you a lot.

oh thats great isn't it.....just f***ing wonderful.....you didn't insult me that night we spent together but once your back on the forum you turn nasty.:crutch:

Northern_Union

Manly are playing the Harliquins a week before the WCC at the Stoop. Should be a good game.

raypower_old

oh thats great isn't it.....just f***ing wonderful.....you didn't insult me that night we spent together but once your back on the forum you turn nasty.:crutch:

I didn't think there was anything nasty about that comment at all and besides, it's a bit hard to be nasty to someone if they're inside you.

raypower_old

I was talking about a halfback-5/8th relationship. Not too shudder worthy I reckon...