General Witt a Warrior Until the End of 09

• Thread starter LeagueSuperstar_old
  • Start date

LeagueSuperstar_old

Witt a Warrior Until the End of 09
Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 9:47 AM

Utility back Michael Witt has signed a contract extension to stay with the Vodafone Warriors until the end of the 2009 NRL season.

The former Parramatta and Manly halfback-standoff joined the club this year on a one-year deal seeking to re-establish himself after playing just one NRL match for the Sea Eagles last year.

Witt immediately succeeded in his goal, making his debut as Vodafone Warrior No 134 in the club’s season-opening home game against one of his previous clubs – the Eels – on March 17.

He has gone on to appear in each of the side’s first five matches of the season, scoring a try in each of the home wins against Brisbane and North Queensland.

Queensland-born Witt, who turned 23 on New Year’s Day, said he was delighted with the way his year had started and how he and his wife Angie had settled in since moving to Auckland.

“After the year I had in 2006, this was always going to be a really important year for my career,†he said.

“There’s still a long way to go but I’m pleased with the way things have worked out so far. It’s a comfort to know I’ll now be here for three seasons.

“On the footy side, we have a great bunch of boys here, really good coaching staff and we’ve started the season well. There’s also a fantastic feeling around the club as a whole and the fans have been brilliant.

“Off the field, my wife and I are also enjoying living in Auckland. We couldn’t be happier with how it’s all going.â€

Head coach Ivan Cleary said Witt had provided exactly what the club was looking for.

“When we signed Michael, we were looking to add to the depth to our squad in the halves area and we’ve immediately seen the benefits of that,†he said.

“He’s slotted straight in at No 6 and has impressed with the contribution he has made in the short time he has been with us. He’s had a good start with us after next to no first-grade football last season.â€

And there was more good news for the Warriors with the remainder of the coaching staff being retained for the same length of time.

Assistant coach John Ackland and strength and conditioning coach Craig Walker will stay with the Vodafone Warriors until the end of the 2009 NRL season.

In retaining the pair, the club has ensured continuity in its first-grade coaching team after head coach Ivan Cleary was also re-signed late last year through to the end of 2009.

Source: NRL

Skinny_Ravs82

LOL I just put mine in the other thread hahaha. Anyway as I said in the other one...what happens to Hohia now? Or do they don't intend to keep Georie and Marto?