General Will we make the eight 2014?

Evil_Mush

Evil_Mush

I'm going to Penrith on Sunday been there Twice and both time Warriors won, in 2010 and 2011, so come on Warriors I want my 100% record to carry on after Sunday

I have had two 100% Warriors records broken this year - Manly broke my winning streak at Mt Smart (v Titans 07, v Knights 10, v Storm 13), but on the flipside Tigers broke my losing streak at Westpac (v Bulldogs 02/03/13, v Raiders 03)!

They've broken a few other streaks this year (e.g. Eden Park, Townsville, Canberra) so here's hoping your one remains intact!!!

I've got a mate who's over in Parramatta this week and next week for work, he's definitely gonna try and catch the game live while he's over there.

Obviously wanting the win, but if we're gonna lose I really hope it'd be a fighting loss where we can still hold our heads high, rather than with a meek whimper like the end of the last couple of seasons.

Reactions: 1 user
OMG

OMG

Storm dumping the Broncos would be a great outcome before our match then of course parra going down to the raiders which I wouldn't count out...would take the pressure of some what ...still if we want to show we are the real deal and can go all the way in the finals this game we have to win by a good margin and keep the panthers
from scoring many points zero would be best .....
The best outcome is Broncs beating Storm by 2, Titans beating Doggies, us beating Panthers by 10.. Eels won't matter if they win or lose.. That will see us in 6th with a home semi against the Broncs.
The interesting game is the Titans v Bulldogs.. Fuck Bird for getting suspended, but it will be Baileys final game and at home with Taylor returning also.. Go the Titans..

edit- Titans game will be a very emotional game just realized it's the farewell game of Bailey, Minichelo and Harrison..

Last edited:
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Interesting if this ever happened...

Finals hopes down to the toss of a coin?
By Chris Kennedy, National Correspondent, NRL.com Statistician and Microsoft Excel Maestro
38855_20_1.jpg

The Broncos are still in with a chance of making the top eight, but could it all come down to the toss of a coin? Credit: Charles Knight. Copyright: NRL Photos.

With one round to go in the closest NRL competition in memory, there are any number of permutations from where sides could finish up. But what happens if two teams finish on the same number of competition points with an identical differential?

Fortunately, pretty much all the teams in finals contention have a for-and-against far enough removed from the ladder neighbours for that not to be a factor.

But for the eighth-placed Broncos and ninth-placed Warriors, each on 28 competition points, they are separated by just seven points – the Broncos on +103 and the Warriors on +96.

What happens if the Eels lose to Canberra, the Broncos lose to the Storm and the Warriors lose to Penrith? All three sides finish on 28 points and only one makes the finals.

The Eels would be gone – their -90 has them well out of the picture if it comes down to differential.

But what happens if the Warriors lose by one, and the Broncos by eight – and they both finish with a +95 in the for-and-against column?

NRL.com can confirm the next step in the countback is your differential as a percentage of your overall points scored. Make sense? Didn't think so. Here's how it works.

For our example, let's say Brisbane go down 20-12, and the Warriors 13-12.

Brisbane would have 549 for, 454 against, +95 differential. The Warriors would have 572 for, 482 against, +95 differential.

If you can bear with us through a bit of maths, what the equation says is that +95 is more significant for the Broncos, because it is a bigger proportion of their overall points, determined by taking your 'for' and dividing by your 'against' and multiplying by 100 – meaning Brisbane would sneak in.

Broncos: 549/454 x 100 = 120.9%

Warriors: 572/482 x 100 = 118.7%

But what if the percentage is also the same? Unlikely, yes, but for argument's sake: if Brisbane go down 42-34 (unlikely score, we know, bear with us) and Warriors by 7-6, both have 571 for, 476 against, 119.96%.

What then? Whoever has scored the most tries for the year gets the nod. Brisbane are currently six behind the Warriors, but in the above example, it's entirely possible Brisbane score seven tries and the Warriors one, making them still un-splittable. Then it comes back to goals – in the above example, three goals to Brisbane and one to Warriors. After that it's field goals, and each team has kicked one this year.

So in our rather unlikely scenario, the next method of deciding who finishes higher is a coin toss. So there you have it – Broncos lose 42-34 in Melbourne, the Warriors go down 7-6 in a nailbiter at Penrith, and Dave Smith (we assume) tosses the coin that decides which team gets an early Mad Monday and which gets a shot at finals glory.

We can't see anything in the by-laws about which captain gets to call the coin toss... so until we hear otherwise we assume that is decided by a best-of-three game of scissors-paper-rock.

https://www.nrl.com/finals-hopes-down-to-the-toss-of-a-coin/tabid/10874/newsid/81512/default.aspx

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
snake77

snake77

When would all of this maths take place?

We could be in for a really long night.

I can see the protests next week due to the wrong rounding system being used; or some official didn't carry the 1.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I thought absolute best scenario was us placing 5th? Amazing how the fortunes of one weeks footy can cause so much movement on the ladder...

10584060 627989557318657 5000566369764922208 n

Reactions: 1 users
Sup42

Sup42

if the Warriors lose......

How valuable is the 2 points Vatuvei had some fun with ?

PLenty applauded the light hearted ' you got this Shana ' from Manu....plenty mocked the gravity of the points F/A.

Turns out cork suckers.....that seven points separates us from being in the top eight on the eve of the penultimate round.

That's why teams with an unassailable lead kick drop goals as the time winds down ( it's not just about goal Kicking practice)......coz one point at seasons end is worth ten points at seasons start.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
JBmurc

JBmurc

The best outcome is Broncs beating Storm by 2, Titans beating Doggies, us beating Panthers by 10.. Eels won't matter if they win or lose.. That will see us in 6th with a home semi against the Broncs.
The interesting game is the Titans v Bulldogs.. Fuck Bird for getting suspended, but it will be Baileys final game and at home with Taylor returning also.. Go the Titans..

edit- Titans game will be a very emotional game just realized it's the farewell game of Bailey, Minichelo and Harrison..

I don't think my body could take the amount of drugs I'd need to believe the TITs could beat the bulldogs ...

• Haha
OMG

OMG

I don't think my body could take the amount of drugs I'd need to believe the TITs could beat the bulldogs ...
I think between the hiding we gave them (1st time scoreless) and the emotion with Bailey etc leaving they will be very hard to beat at home, Bailey and Taylor were exactly what they needed against us..

Sebastian

Sebastian

I think between the hiding we gave them (1st time scoreless) and the emotion with Bailey etc leaving they will be very hard to beat at home, Bailey and Taylor were exactly what they needed against us..

Titans have a excellent record against the Dogs. Almost as good as our record against Melbourne. Without the finals upsets, of course :D

eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
I thought absolute best scenario was us placing 5th? Amazing how the fortunes of one weeks footy can cause so much movement on the ladder...

It is 5th, but we'd have to win by 40 and the cows loose by 40 to climb above them. Why they not respect the mighty warriors??1!!???

Being the last game of the weekend is good, all permeatations are covered off come 8.30 sunday.

My last go round with the ladder predictor says we come 8th and go back to Penrith the next week for a knock out game.

Last edited:

warriors4eva

i may be jumping the gun here............

so not only we make the 8, but actually get a home semi !

but even though we have had playoff games at mt smart before, this time we have to go to eden park ??? if thats the case i will still be in line for seats.

see told ya, jumping the gun !! haha.........lets go the mighty warriors !!

gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor

PLenty applauded the light hearted ' you got this Shana ' from Manu....plenty mocked the gravity of the points F/A.

Turns out cork suckers.....that seven points separates us from being in the top eight on the eve of the penultimate round.

That's why teams with an unassailable lead kick drop goals as the time winds down ( it's not just about goal Kicking practice)......coz one point at seasons end is worth ten points at seasons start.

So the whole season comes down to Manu - what a cock u can be. How many other players have stuffed up during the year, but lets blame it all on Manu... Forget about letting the opposition run in 3 tries in 5 mins, forget about having the wrong players in the wrong positions, forget about dumb kicks to no one, forget about no one in support, forget about everything except blaming Manu....

BTW that 2 points you are lamenting, would have us in exactly the same position as we are now.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler

That's why teams kick drop goals......coz one point at seasons end is worth ten points at seasons start.
LOL you sure know how to hold a grudge :D...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
mrblonde

mrblonde

No, measure of the Top 8 was losing to the Sharks in Sydney. Win that and this would all be beside the point - or at least mostly, because irrespective of Sunday Night 8:30PM and every game to be played previously to that, we'd definitely be Top 8.

Or at least acting like you're setting up for a field goal in the loss to the Bulldogs - maybe we still would have lost even if we'd got it but still.....

Imponderables, really.

Jay M

Jay M

Converted Try and a drop goal outside the eight.

That's the measure of the top eight.....seven Lousy points.

Who can spare two ?

based on that we should be lamenting Shaun Johnson's early season goalkicking... and Chad's 1/5 a few weeks ago... and anyone whose missed a tackle or dropped a ball that's led to a try...

I think by now we're probably lambasting the entire side ;)

Reactions: 2 users