General Will the Warriors make the 8?

Will the Warriors make the 8?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To be honest, I think the real question we should be asking is "Will the Warriors win the 2012 Premiership?" Of course, that's immeasurably more difficult to answer, because once the finals series launches, anything can happen, but the gut currently says no. But, as with all things, my opinions are subject to change when new evidence is presented. :)

Inruin

Contributor
There is no 'realist' here. Only an optimist, a pessimist, and an opportunist are present.

Pretending that a pessimist is a realist is just semantics to avoid the responsibility of holding such a position.

To answer your question more directly, it makes no difference whether the glass is a beer stein or a shot glass, given that it's half full/half empty...
so invitation only your saying? surely it makes a difference what kind of vessel it is. the volume of the contents can make all the difference to the position you hold. some will be opptomistic with half a stein but that same person with half a shot glass maybe not so...

Inruin

Contributor
i'm wondering if people are misreading the initial question. there is a difference between can the warriors make the 8 and will the warriors make the 8.

so invitation only your saying? surely it makes a difference what kind of vessel it is. the volume of the contents can make all the difference to the position you hold. some will be opptomistic with half a stein but that same person with half a shot glass maybe not so...

Have we slipped into an AA meeting? ;)

Surely, the size of a glass is irrelevant to whether one views it as half empty or half full?

(This discussion is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand, but it's enjoyable all the same!) :)

i'm wondering if people are misreading the initial question. there is a difference between can the warriors make the 8 and will the warriors make the 8.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't misread the question. I just didn't answer it. I find "will" questions somewhat meaningless in the absence of a crystal ball so I don't hold fast to a particular answer - hence my initial comment about remaining agnostic on the topic.

(And as such, I probably have no place in this thread at all...)

Well I assume the OP worded it as 'will' as 'can' would have resulted in a 100% yes count. I also interpreted the question as "Will (in your opinion, in light of games remaining) the Warriors make the 8?" Obviously there's no way of knowing what's going to happen. I suppose it could have been worded 'Do you think...' but really we're splitting hairs.

Lego_Man

Illuminatus
Well I assume the OP worded it as 'will' as 'can' would have resulted in a 100% yes count. I also interpreted the question as "Will (in your opinion, in light of games remaining) the Warriors make the 8?" Obviously there's no way of knowing what's going to happen. I suppose it could have been worded 'Do you think...' but really we're splitting hairs.

Reading comprehension is not one of the strong points of the forum body.

Reactions: Hitman82

Inruin

Contributor
[
Have we slipped into an AA meeting? ;)

Surely, the size of a glass is irrelevant to whether one views it as half empty or half full?

(This discussion is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand, but it's enjoyable all the same!) :)
i'm not so sure. i think there must be a tipping point (for the person, not the glass) where thier outlook changes. i think the variables are the key to the question. the size of the glass, the contents etc. if the glass is half full, or empty, of a not very nice substance and you say it is half full are you optomistic or pessimistic. if you are assuming that all glasses are the same size and hold the same volume and contain an equally pleasing substance to all then i guess it is a viable proposition to determine outlook. i guess?

Reactions: Jesbass
[i'm not so sure. i think there must be a tipping point (for the person, not the glass) where thier outlook changes. i think the variables are the key to the question. the size of the glass, the contents etc. if the glass is half full, or empty, of a not very nice substance and you say it is half full are you optomistic or pessimistic. if you are assuming that all glasses are the same size and hold the same volume and contain an equally pleasing substance to all then i guess it is a viable proposition to determine outlook. i guess?

That’s a valid point. Even a glass that’s only a quarter full of engine oil may be looked at rather pessimistically...

Nah well my point was mainly directed at the dude who couldn't bring himself to click yes or no because he doesn't own a DeLorean to go have a look in the future first.

It isn't a "can't", but a "won't". And I know I’m being a pedant, but if I can’t honestly put my name against either option, I won’t. The options presented are “the Warriors will make the 8” or “the Warriors won’t make the 8”, and I don’t feel confident with either statement.

I also think my agnostic approach on this question must be the least discussion-worthy aspect of the entire thread.

Far more interesting than that is that it’s almost 30 years since Marty McFly went back in time by 30 years...

ToiletDuck

Administrator
Everyone will likely change their answer after this weekend anyway. I mainly started this poll as we had a bye, and sitting in a precarious position on the table....I wanted to guage how optimistic people were. I actually thought majority would say 'no' given the mood after the Sharks, but there you go.

yeah we will make it as usual we will wait till our backs are absolutely to the wall with a glock to the head and we will fire up and hit ' a roll ' as per every other season well finish 7th or 8th maybe even scrape in for a 6th as per usual.

Once again on the back of the run to the finals the fans and the media will feel the team has finally realised its potential, and while desperately playing ad-lib football there was a mature control they knew when to push the offload, and were not " just playing jungle ball ". Laurie Daly will bang on about how the Warriors can now grind out wins in an arm wrestle. We will all rejoice Bluey as the messiah who turned the corner for the club, we will love that Manu had a blinding finals run scored a truck load of tries and marvel at Shaun Johnson's maturing into the onfield general

then 2013 we will start the season like mud again...... I live for the year when we come out of the starting blocks if not with a roar then just solid, not hungover from the year before and flakey,,,,, LOVE THIS TEAM

Everyone will likely change their answer after this weekend anyway. I mainly started this poll as we had a bye, and sitting in a precarious position on the table....I wanted to guage how optimistic people were. I actually thought majority would say 'no' given the mood after the Sharks, but there you go.

I like the poll.. good to see where everyones heads at. Dunno if i'm surprised or not.. it was a good call not to put the poll up on the night though.. I would've clicked 'no' with out a second thought.

Inruin

Contributor
yeah we will make it as usual we will wait till our backs are absolutely to the wall with a glock to the head and we will fire up and hit ' a roll ' as per every other season well finish 7th or 8th maybe even scrape in for a 6th as per usual.

Once again on the back of the run to the finals the fans and the media will feel the team has finally realised its potential, and while desperately playing ad-lib football there was a mature control they knew when to push the offload, and were not " just playing jungle ball ". Laurie Daly will bang on about how the Warriors can now grind out wins in an arm wrestle. We will all rejoice Bluey as the messiah who turned the corner for the club, we will love that Manu had a blinding finals run scored a truck load of tries and marvel at Shaun Johnson's maturing into the onfield general

then 2013 we will start the season like mud again...... I live for the year when we come out of the starting blocks if not with a roar then just solid, not hungover from the year before and flakey,,,,, LOVE THIS TEAM
oh for 2002 every year. i'm not surprised that the warriors slogan is keep the faith. most of the time that's all you are left with. could be worse though. not sure i would like to be in the place of some of the other teams fans!

Reactions: Moz

ToiletDuck

Administrator
I like the poll.. good to see where everyones heads at. Dunno if i'm surprised or not.. it was a good call not to put the poll up on the night though.. I would've clicked 'no' with out a second thought.

Haha yeah that was a deliberate decision. Waited for the dust to settle. You could basically ask any question after a Warriors loss on a Saturday night and the answers would be mostly negative/no.

"Do you like puppies?" No (90%).

I think most ppl on here are optimists. I am an normally optimistic and looking at that draw, i can see us winning 7 games.

I'd like to think a lot of the 'Yes's' are based on a few assumptions .. like we don't pick up any more injuries to key players, and Luck and Friend's return results in a noticeable improvement in defense and their on-field leadership helps eliminate those periods of capitulation.. That's what i'm basing my 'yes' on anyway..

oh for 2002 every year. i'm not surprised that the warriors slogan is keep the faith. most of the time that's all you are left with. could be worse though. not sure i would like to be in the place of some of the other teams fans!

Best year 2002, Minor Premiers

So does that make Daniel Anderson our most succesful coach ever, if he got the team to play enough consistently good footie to be minor prems ( even if Doggies did get docked there points for cheatin ) and make the final. No other coach has done it, and I know Ivan got us into finals football, but come on 8 teams out of 16 get through, 50% folks.

Best year 2002, Minor Premiers

So does that make Daniel Anderson our most succesful coach ever, if he got the team to play enough consistently good footie to be minor prems ( even if Doggies did get docked there points for cheatin ) and make the final. No other coach has done it I know Ivan got us into finals but come on 8 teams out of 16 get through 50% folks.
imo that year will always have an asterisk next to it because the dogs would have been minor premiers if they hadnt had all their points taken. cheating the cap aside they were ahead of the competition