General why change a winning team...

Tajhay_old

i think it should be made a rule where people who create threads have to have a faintest clue about what they are posting about....

players dropped? *sigh*

romel, i suggest to you kindly that you start actually watching games, before posting. it will really help your insight before making threads. Every single time it seems you create a thread, it is on *uninformed* information. Create a new thread without any substance again and ill bring out the stick.

danco_old

Here we go again...first we think Cleary deserves Dally M for best coach, now we're crucifying him for playing the best defensive player in the NRL whenever possible.

BLAME the coach, he was on the field making all the wrong decisions, his only fault was a choice of 2 players that should not have been playing. come on we got beaten by a better team and the ref

Etern0L_Warrior_old

Haha, still a bit behind though.

Just on the commentary, how great it was to have the option on Sky to listen to the Ch 9 guys, Costo should've just stayed home for this one.

c'mon i wanted to throw beer bottles at the tv listening to phil gould. phil gould was sh1t, i thought locke was really bad apart from a few nice leaps, and luck was good last nite he was carrying defenders and spinning out of tackles something i didn't expect from him.

i blame our game plan our approach is too predictable everybody run as hard as you can and try to offload then somebody runs from dummy half. this worked well for us against the crap teams we out muscled them and scored some tries making our attack seem better than it really is. but this brand of stale attack won't get us far in the finals. i think our defense reflects our attack, if we don't do that 'prince pass to bird - bird inside pass to try scorer' ourselves, then we won't be able to defend against it. i guess what i'm trying to say is there is more to a passing game than just offloads and cut-out passes. it'll be good to see the boys add another dimension to their attack next week and hopefully we're still in it.

BringBackRovelli_old

our defense reflects our attack, if we don't do that 'prince pass to bird - bird inside pass to try scorer' ourselves, then we won't be able to defend against it.

That has to be the post of the year, I've been meaning to express this but you put it into words perfectly. Our guys need to learn the tricks that open up defensive lines, and put them to use in attack, in order to be able to defend against them. Interestingly on that specific occasion it was Seymour who left the hole for the insie man, weird to see a halback getting fooled with that play.

KeepingTheFaith_old

i blame our game plan our approach is too predictable everybody run as hard as you can and try to offload then somebody runs from dummy half. this worked well for us against the crap teams we out muscled them and scored some tries making our attack seem better than it really is. but this brand of stale attack won't get us far in the finals. i think our defense reflects our attack, if we don't do that 'prince pass to bird - bird inside pass to try scorer' ourselves, then we won't be able to defend against it. i guess what i'm trying to say is there is more to a passing game than just offloads and cut-out passes. it'll be good to see the boys add another dimension to their attack next week and hopefully we're still in it.

Problem is that you need a proper linking fullback for that play to work, and Hohaia isn't that. The juniors use this play constantly with the Fish who is a great linking fullback with a ton of pace.

Hohaia is the best fullback we have currently, but Hohaia at fullback gives us 2.5 playmakers rather than what we really need which is 2 playmakers and a fullback.

Moz_old

Was it my imagination or is Seymour just incredibly slow maybe slow is wrong word he seems to posess absolutely zero acceleration

NB. not saying he is the reason they lost at all just an observation from last nights game

Last edited by a moderator:

romel_old

Gordon Tallis made a comment earlier in the year on NRL on FOX when non-ex-league-player host Ryan Phelan commented on how great a defender Luck is. Tallis disagreed and said that in his playing career he would always prefer playing with someone that made 15-20 dominant tackles in a game than 40-50 'cuddles'. I'm not bagging Luck but I see Tallis' point. Luck makes a lot of tackles but he's often on the bottom of them and the player usually almost gets a quick play the ball out of it.

wow! nice comment 2black2strong, thats extactly how i feel and always thought about micheal luck. but there are alot of luck train fans that will despute the facts unfortunately.

Iafeta_old

I thought Luck had a good game to be honest. He seemed to be making a solid 10m in most of his runs in that first half.

The guys who were off their game big time were Lance Hohaia, Kevin Locke, Ben Matulino and Ukuma Ta'ai. I haven't seen Ben play that ordinary in terms of the basics, bad missed tackles and poor errors.

Iafeta_old

i think it should be made a rule where people who create threads have to have a faintest clue about what they are posting about....

players dropped? *sigh*

romel, i suggest to you kindly that you start actually watching games, before posting. it will really help your insight before making threads. Every single time it seems you create a thread, it is on *uninformed* information. Create a new thread without any substance again and ill bring out the stick.

I agree. I cringe now everytime I see the name romel in this forum. Sorry romel, but seriously mate, get a clue.

Spence_old

Was it my imagination or is Seymour just incredibly slow maybe slow is wrong word he seems to posess absolutely zero acceleration

NB. not saying he is the reason they lost at all just an observation from last nights game

He had an injury as well, which wouldn't have helped.

Iafeta_old

Making a lot of tackles doesn't equate to good defense.

It's not about the numbers, it's about their impact. Do they slow down the play-the-ball? Do they prevent a line-break or a try? Was it necessary for me to get involved in the tackle and spend more energy, or we other guys already effecting the tackle?

It's always about the little details.

Yes I agree, but often Luck is tidying up in the middle of the ruck... someone's missed a tackle, who generally turns up? Luck. He's the glue that binds the defense together.

Iafeta_old

Mannering can be that player, Lillyman can be that player, hell Packer and Rapira consistently make more tackles in the opening 20 than Luck does. Luck only overtakes them when they come off.

13 players with the right attitude will always form a stronger defensive wall than having one guy who makes 40-50 tackles.

On top of that, Hindmarsh's offensive stats dwarf Luck's, Johnson played in a team that had incredible individual brilliance around him, where as the Warriors need to be a champion team as they're not a team of champions. Campion played at the Broncos and then at the Warriors when Jones, Ali, Marsh were at the heights of their powers.

When Luck first came to the club he was needed, but going forward he's not going to get any better, he's not going to improve the team, and players who are multi faceted are going to be left out to fit him in.

It was interesting listening to a bit of radio sport over the past couple of days streamed. To a man, everyone in the club they spoke to spoke of their respect for Luck and what he does for them on and off the paddock. Aside from being an extremely hard worker in defence, I dare say Luck's leadership and his drive to succeed are why he is such a valued member of the team. I can assure you, speaking to one of them personally, they feel a lot more comfortable when Luck is on the field. Kevin Campion was EXACTLY the same. He was a no nonsense footballer who trained the house down, and got guys around him to do exactly the same. It's no coincidence IMO that the Warriors have by and large been good teams when either K Campion or M Luck are at the club.

If that's not having a purpose going forward, I don't know what is.

a.c.e_old

We are missing Hendo and his straight running from dummy. THIS IS OUR STRENGTH, WHEN WE START MAKING YARDS UP THE MIDDLE IT OPENS UP THE ATTACK ON THE FRINGES!!

Stop it with the low percentage passing, we havent seen that in a while and last night we saw passes that should have never been thrown. Cooler heads need step up! Price would have shown the rest of the forwards were to go if he was playing.

Frustrating. making the 8 was a regular season goal. now that we are here. to win the whole damn thing is the be all and end all!!

Iafeta_old

I'm sure romel will agree, but I think we would have been safer with Sean Hoppe in the right wing position, Joe Vagana and Steve Price interchanging with Rapira and Packer, Brandy at halfback, Ali Lauitiiti ahead of Ukuma Ta'ai... WHY WERE THEY DROPPED?!! ARGHHHH!!!!!! I agree with romel... ITS ALL IVAN CLEARYS FAULT!

sebastian_old

I think with the crop of players, hardcore injury toll Ivan has done a fine job. Even if we are no longer after the weekend, I'd like to see another coach handle the injury toll, get as much from our players.

KeepingTheFaith_old

It was interesting listening to a bit of radio sport over the past couple of days streamed. To a man, everyone in the club they spoke to spoke of their respect for Luck and what he does for them on and off the paddock. Aside from being an extremely hard worker in defence, I dare say Luck's leadership and his drive to succeed are why he is such a valued member of the team. I can assure you, speaking to one of them personally, they feel a lot more comfortable when Luck is on the field. Kevin Campion was EXACTLY the same. He was a no nonsense footballer who trained the house down, and got guys around him to do exactly the same. It's no coincidence IMO that the Warriors have by and large been good teams when either K Campion or M Luck are at the club.

If that's not having a purpose going forward, I don't know what is.

Never disputed that, and said it many times before that when he came to the club he was very much needed to instill that attitude into the players, much the same as we needed Price.

But at what point do the training wheels come off for some of these players who need Luck holding their hand ( slight exaggeration I know)? Mentality aside, Luck is still a one dimensional player in a multi faceted game.

It's also nice that Luck has all the players respect and they speak highly of him, but I bet the all the Broncos players would've said the same about Wally Lewis when the Broncos axed him. League is a business and the goal is to win a premiership. Warm fuzzies don't win premierships.

Our conservative unbalanced backrow is not a premiership winning backrow and adding Mateo isn't going to change that imo (unless we suddenly get some decent halves/hookers/fullback to back up Maloney.)