Social NZWarriors NRLFantasy Competiton 2024

A couple of my cheapies have ended up 18th man. Very tempted to change things up again for round 1 as I don't think I can risk having two in that situation.
I wouldn’t be starting with anyone that isn’t named in the 17 unless you are sure they will be in the squad next week. Eg Kris.
Also please make sure you get Chan.

Don’t chose anyone who’s not in the 17, I’d almost argue not in the starting 13. Unless you see that they have a role, or increased minutes, all your players should have security, and are starting. My only exception is hughes, every other play is in the starting 13, cheapie or not.

I missed out on joining the forum comp, so no risk in this..

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 11.57.50 AM.png

I do have a few questions I am asking myself, and am open to suggestions on since I still have a fair bit of cash to throw around (again I'm not in the forum comp so you don't stand to lose anything by lending a brother helping hand haha)

Xavier Savage, or Jack Bostock as my back up WFB?
Kyle Flanagan or Bud Sullivan as by back up Half?
Roll with Sam Hughes as a "cash cow", or swap him out for a more expensive Middle? (Tino or Tohu maybe), or even stand pat and switch Willison out for that more expensive middle next week
Roll with Lussick, or swap him out for another, maybe more expensive, Hooker/Half? (Tanah Boyd maybe)

Leniu obviously getting traded as soon as trading opens on Monday as well lol

View attachment 5583

I do have a few questions I am asking myself, and am open to suggestions on since I still have a fair bit of cash to throw around (again I'm not in the forum comp so you don't stand to lose anything by lending a brother helping hand haha)

Roll with Sam Hughes as a "cash cow", or swap him out for a more expensive Middle? (Tino or Tohu maybe), or even stand pat and switch Willison out for that more expensive middle next week
Roll with Lussick, or swap him out for another, maybe more expensive, Hooker/Half? (Tanah Boyd maybe)

Savage or Bostock, neither
Flanagan
Sam Hughes is pretty much a must have
Willison needs to go. (Unless named next week)
I’d ditch Lussick and upgrade Egan to Grant or Robson. I just saw it’s the Warriors Lussick. You really don’t want him.
Don’t buy Olam, super risky low upside. Great player but not a great fantasy scorer. You pretty much never want outside backs from bad teams (there is exceptions though)
I just noticed how much cash you have in the bank. Swap Olam for Cleary.
Also I wouldn’t be shy posting your team. There are plenty of people in this group who will happily help out.

View attachment 5583

You have cash whiches good cause its always hard to catch up if you don't start with the guns Cleary or Hynes / Haas so you need to upgrade somebody to one of them.

I'd definitely get another decent mid aswell Mcinnes looking the goods otherwise for me Tohu has always been reliable. Iv stayed away from Titans players for now cause they have a bye rd 2.

And then everything that Fizurg said.

I didn't start with Haas and now im moving my team around so i can trade him asappp

Last edited:
Savage or Bostock, neither
Flanagan
Sam Hughes is pretty much a must have
Willison needs to go. (Unless named next week)
I’d ditch Lussick and upgrade Egan to Grant or Robson. I just saw it’s the Warriors Lussick. You really don’t want him.
Don’t buy Olam, super risky low upside. Great player but not a great fantasy scorer. You pretty much never want outside backs from bad teams (there is exceptions though)
I just noticed how much cash you have in the bank. Swap Olam for Cleary.
Also I wouldn’t be shy posting your team. There are plenty of people in this group who will happily help out.
You have cash whiches good cause its always hard to catch up if you don't start with the guns Cleary or Hynes / Haas so you need to upgrade somebody to one of them.

I'd definitely get another decent mid aswell Mcinnes looking the goods otherwise for me Tohu has always been reliable. Iv stayed away from Titans players for now cause they have a bye rd 2.

And then everything that Fizurg said.

I didn't start with Haas and now im moving my team around so i can trade him asappp

Cheers, Cheers 🤙

Xavier it'll probably be- I did break my rule of not having more than 2 players from the same team (exc. Warriors of course lol) to have him in there in the first place

Bostock, Olam, Flanagan, and Lussick are now out, and for now, Harry Grant (Might change for Robson), Weak Gutted Dog, Nick Cotric, and Luka Mikiafu are in.

I now have 363K left over, so I can change Willison to a Cotter or another higher range middle next week, or depending on how next Tuesday goes (TLT and Judiciary), maybe Leniu as well for a gun middle instead. Will be guts to use 2 trades out the gate, but it is what it is.

I've always tried not to touch high 900's-1M players like Cleary and Hynes, probably to my downfall 🙃 Have been playing fantasy since 2015 and still manage to suck every year haha

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 1.29.04 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 1.29.04 PM.png
    291.4 KB · Views: 22
Cheers, Cheers 🤙

Xavier it'll probably be- I did break my rule of not having more than 2 players from the same team (exc. Warriors of course lol) to have him in there in the first place

Bostock, Olam, Flanagan, and Lussick are now out, and for now, Harry Grant (Might change for Robson), Weak Gutted Dog, Nick Cotric, and Luka Mikiafu are in.

I now have 363K left over, so I can change Willison to a Cotter or another higher range middle next week, or depending on how next Tuesday goes (TLT and Judiciary), maybe Leniu as well for a gun middle instead. Will be guts to use 2 trades out the gate, but it is what it is.

I've always tried not to touch high 900's-1M players like Cleary and Hynes, probably to my downfall 🙃 Have been playing fantasy since 2015 and still manage to suck every year haha
You really want a top tier gun in Cleary or Hynes. They don't present value but they score the best and their points get doubled as captain.
If you are buying a player who has low ownership, you have to ask yourself why. As there is usually a reason most players dont want them.
Lenui to May would make sense next week.

Cheers, Cheers 🤙

Nice effort bro, I've seen way worse teams than that for first time round.

So, the aim of the game is to increase your overall value of your team WHILST scoring as many points as you can at the same time. Easy aye 🤣🙃

The three main type of players you're looking at:

Keepers/Gun
You need to start with a few 'select and forget' players like Cleary, Hynes, SJ, Haas - players who are proven performers and cost 700k+
This is important as you want a few players you can rely on for 60+ scores each week. This means you can captain and vc these players. You want to keep these players the whole time unless they get injured, dropped, or a change of role (i.e if Haas started off the bench for a month).

Mid Tier
These guys are anywhere between 3-650k, but the key is you want players who are going to go up in value - so, players who have switched teams and now have a larger role, or maybe they had a shit year last year through injury and poor form, or juniors increasing in game time. Brandon Smith is a good example - poor year last year and should be averaging close to 50 a game, he's only 540k at the moment so if you think he's going to improve on his average last year, pull the trigger. I've picked up Kyle Flanno as he was a part time hooker last year, now playing in the halves. If he averages 40 points a game he'll make you some decent money.

Cash cows
These are the players who are close to basement price (300k or less) who are getting regular game time - for me it has to be 30min plus to be making decent money. Cash cows are generally used to make money, so the challenge for you is to decide when to trade out a cash cow. Plenty of times I've sold a cash cow because I think hes done making money only to then have another few big weeks, which means I've lost out on that money that was made. Very occasionally, you will have a cash cow who turns out so good, he ends up being a gun/keeper and averages over 50, which is quite rare. So, for example in you're team you have Xavier Willison starting. That's not a great choice as he was listed on the bench, and as a newbie he will likely only average 15-25 minutes so less opportunity to score well. He's worth having in your non playing reserves potentially (I had him at one point), but not as a starter. Jaemon Salmon, if he starts and keeps his spot all year would likely be a great option if he gets big minutes.

View attachment 5583

My first time trying fantasy this year I'm the opposite spent everything already haha.

1709687903966.png

I don't mean to shit on what is clearly a well-thought-out reply, it is actually my 9th season of Fantasy hahaha

Might that be an indictment on my team that it looked like a good rookie team, rather than a "veteran" team? perhaps.. lol

I still read the full thing though and it is appreciated regardless- I reckon I'll show it to the little bro who is in his first year, I spent ages with him picking a team that would be good but also be players he recognises somewhat, and he went behind my back and stitched himself up- switched all 21 players to be entirely from the Roosters, Broncos, Sea Eagles, and Rabbitohs 🤦‍♂️

I don't mean to shit on what is clearly a well-thought-out reply, it is actually my 9th season of Fantasy hahaha

Might that be an indictment on my team that it looked like a good rookie team, rather than a "veteran" team? perhaps.. lol

I still read the full thing though and it is appreciated regardless- I reckon I'll show it to the little bro who is in his first year, I spent ages with him picking a team that would be good but also be players he recognises somewhat, and he went behind my back and stitched himself up- switched all 21 players to be entirely from the Roosters, Broncos, Sea Eagles, and Rabbitohs 🤦‍♂️

Baha sorry bro, I love a good mansplain 🤣

Genuinely had a laugh out loud about how he changed all the players to those 4 teams only tho lol

My first time trying fantasy this year I'm the opposite spent everything already haha.

View attachment 5585
You want all green ticks. I’d get rid of every player who doesn’t have one in your squad. Also be aware that big name players aren’t always good options in fantasy. Some of your selections are great players but won’t make you much money.
Remember your EMG players are just as important as your scoring ones as these guy need to make enough money to help you buy the guns you’re going to need later on.
Also please buy either Cleary or Hynes. It’s going to hurt not having one.
Also your captain should pretty always be your most expensive player and centers generally don’t score the best so captaining one is super risky.
This game is really hard to get your head around so after a few rounds most of this will make sense. It’s also a way better team than my first team I made. I had nine Warriors players haha. Took me so many rounds to dig my way out of it.

Last edited:

Well I bet he’s doing better than me right now. I’m not even ranked in the top 130k right now haha.

So, the aim of the game is to increase your overall value of your team WHILST scoring as many points as you can at the same time. Easy aye 🤣🙃

The three main type of players you're looking at:

Keepers/Gun
You need to start with a few 'select and forget' players like Cleary, Hynes, SJ, Haas - players who are proven performers and cost 700k+
This is important as you want a few players you can rely on for 60+ scores each week. This means you can captain and vc these players. You want to keep these players the whole time unless they get injured, dropped, or a change of role (i.e if Haas started off the bench for a month).

Mid Tier
These guys are anywhere between 3-650k, but the key is you want players who are going to go up in value - so, players who have switched teams and now have a larger role, or maybe they had a shit year last year through injury and poor form, or juniors increasing in game time. Brandon Smith is a good example - poor year last year and should be averaging close to 50 a game, he's only 540k at the moment so if you think he's going to improve on his average last year, pull the trigger. I've picked up Kyle Flanno as he was a part time hooker last year, now playing in the halves. If he averages 40 points a game he'll make you some decent money.

Cash cows
These are the players who are close to basement price (300k or less) who are getting regular game time - for me it has to be 30min plus to be making decent money. Cash cows are generally used to make money, so the challenge for you is to decide when to trade out a cash cow. Plenty of times I've sold a cash cow because I think hes done making money only to then have another few big weeks, which means I've lost out on that money that was made. Very occasionally, you will have a cash cow who turns out so good, he ends up being a gun/keeper and averages over 50, which is quite rare. So, for example in you're team you have Xavier Willison starting. That's not a great choice as he was listed on the bench, and as a newbie he will likely only average 15-25 minutes so less opportunity to score well. He's worth having in your non playing reserves potentially (I had him at one point), but not as a starter. Jaemon Salmon, if he starts and keeps his spot all year would likely be a great option if he gets big minutes.
This is a great explanation. If you have any player on your team that doesn’t fit into one of these categories you should get rid of them.
Don’t fall into the trap that a $250k player is a cashie. Lots of players will sit at that price. You need to find the ones that rise to $400k.

You want all green ticks. I’d get rid of every player who doesn’t have one in your squad. Also be aware that big name players aren’t always good options in fantasy. Some of your selections are great players but won’t make you much money.
Remember your EMG players are just as important as your scoring ones as these guy need to make enough money to help you buy the guns you’re going to need later on.
Also please buy either Cleary or Hynes. It’s going to hurt not having one.
Also your captain should pretty always be your most expensive player and centers generally don’t score the best so captaining one is super risky.
This game is really hard to get your head around so after a few rounds most of this will make sense. It’s also a way better team than my first team I made. I had nine Warriors players haha. Took me so many rounds to dig my way out of it.
Don't think it will let me change now showing a lock on RTS and Harris? Also my reasoning was RTS could be likely to get through a lot of work even though he's a centre but I guess he may not see as much action as I thought since he was a lot more involved when he moved to fullback in the 2nd trial.

Don't think it will let me change now showing a lock on RTS and Harris? Also my reasoning was RTS could be likely to get through a lot of work even though he's a centre but I guess he may not see as much action as I thought since he was a lot more involved when he moved to fullback in the 2nd trial.
Captain and VC are locked at the start of the round. Your remaining players who haven't played yet can be traded out.

It's algud RTS might do a Garrick & score 74 @ centre. Was priced to high for me to pull the trigger on him, I'm hoping/waiting for a price drop.

Last edited:
Thats pretty much it. Centers have what’s called low “base stats” they don’t make a heap of tackles or kick meters and they usually don’t run enough meters to do well. One tackle is worth the same points as 10m gained with the ball. So fantasy is heavily weighted to tackling.
For a center to score well they pretty much need to score three tries which does happen but you can’t rely on it obviously.
To put it in perspective Mam played outstanding in the grand final and scored three tries but still only scored about 60 points which is less than Murray scored in the weekend just tackling.
Dominant halves usually have huge base stats and will also usually have really good attacking stats as well.
Someone like Cleary will kick for 500m, run 100m, make 25 tackles and kick the conversions. Thats going to give him 50 points in base stats. Then if he sets up a couple of tries, makes a line break, gets lucky with a couple of turnover tackles and throws a couple of offloads too can see how he can quickly rack up 80 points. So Clearys floor is probably 50 and can crack over twice that easily. (He averaged just under 100 points per game in 2021)
A centers floor could be as low as 15 even for a hard worker like RTS.
Honestly just get Cleary.

I’ll post my team next week. Judging by some responses here there’s some solid coaches here, and I want that number 1 spot lol. Next week, I’ll explain my team pre trades, why I chose certain players & advice for you new guys moving forward. The feedback given so far is spot on. I’m very, very deep in fantasy. In that it takes up a lot of my days haha.

What I will do, is give advice on cashies. Hughes, salmon, strange, burbo are must haves. Levi, chan, cotric are ok options, but have risk. I have a combo of these.

Mid rangers are niu, rapana, rts, papi, luki, cotter, tatola, wong, hutch, sitili, cheese.

Guns are the expensive players. Grant, Cleary, hynes, hopgood etc.

Mix and match with these.

Recommendation is 4-6 cheapies (sub 350k)

2-4 guns.

The rest are mid rangers you see value in.

That’s all I’ll give away for now, I’ll post my team next week after round 1 completed and explain my choices