/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Interesting point

I wonder how often the Cup and FG teams train together etc . Imagine at least once a week so it’s one club one dream. That’s the only way to ensure the culture resonates top to bottom.

I trust the coaches know what they’re doing this time

The NSW cup boys attend every first grade briefing and football session. They essentially train together at everything apart from indoor physical work.

The Warriors stated last year that they moved to have FG and Reggies do as much as is humanly possible together when Webster came in to ensure both grades are on the same page with everything.

Last edited:
The Tigers scoring one try on Ali's edge seems to have been interpreted as Ali has defensive issues.

I think his defence is fine. He just needs more time with the first grade partnerships. That Tigers try looked bad because Ali went up early and committed to a runner, made his hit, then tried to make a correction (which is impossible because it is too late already, the other guy has the jump on you) noticed people criticizing Ali for an arms only attempt on that ball carrier as lazy tackle (no he was a beaten defender there was nothing else he could do).

This opens the opportunity for critics to say it was bad decision making. Commiting early is only the wrong call if your defensive partners do not come forward with you (or in that example you also need the inside players to chase hard from the Leiataua's inside shoulder, they call that chasing from the inside out, that is the second rowers job (which is where Ali was beaten back on the inside by the Tigers set move).

The worst thing you can do when defending near your Try line like they were, is to be backing away or to plant your feet and stay flat footed.

Ali did the right thing, he attacked their line, the others should have done the same, the only weakness in that strategy is that when Dallin comes in too, there is space left on the edge, which is where CNK would hit the NOS and try do an RTS corner try saver.

There are times where Ali looks out of sync with his outsides, same thing happens to Berry, Ford, Montoya, Dallin, Pompey and every center in the NRL, but I agree with John Wick, he is so close to readiness for First grade that the missing sync issue is specifically to do with not playing enough games with those specific first grade players.

Roger T Sheck made it look easy, he made the Center defence arguments of the ages look silly 'defence is hardest at center' in a way Roger made Ali look bad, hell Roger made everyone look bad. Hopefully people realise Roger is not the standard, Roger was Jimmy Hendrix, playing with his teeth and behind his back, the rest of the Warriors were on base and drums.

A fairer comparison for Ali is Berry, when Berry played his early games he was awful till he synced with Dallin, Ali is ahead of that curve.

The Tigers scoring one try on Ali's edge seems to have been interpreted as Ali has defensive issues.

I think his defence is fine. He just needs more time with the first grade partnerships. That Tigers try looked bad because Ali went up early and committed to a runner, made his hit, then tried to make a correction (which is impossible because it is too late already, the other guy has the jump on you) noticed people criticizing Ali for an arms only attempt on that ball carrier as lazy tackle (no he was a beaten defender there was nothing else he could do).

This opens the opportunity for critics to say it was bad decision making. Commiting early is only the wrong call if your defensive partners do not come forward with you (or in that example you also need the inside players to chase hard from the Leiataua's inside shoulder, they call that chasing from the inside out, that is the second rowers job (which is where Ali was beaten back on the inside by the Tigers set move).

The worst thing you can do when defending near your Try line like they were, is to be backing away or to plant your feet and stay flat footed.

Ali did the right thing, he attacked their line, the others should have done the same, the only weakness in that strategy is that when Dallin comes in too, there is space left on the edge, which is where CNK would hit the NOS and try do an RTS corner try saver.

There are times where Ali looks out of sync with his outsides, same thing happens to Berry, Ford, Montoya, Dallin, Pompey and every center in the NRL, but I agree with John Wick, he is so close to readiness for First grade that the missing sync issue is specifically to do with not playing enough games with those specific first grade players.

Roger T Sheck made it look easy, he made the Center defence arguments of the ages look silly 'defence is hardest at center' in a way Roger made Ali look bad, hell Roger made everyone look bad. Hopefully people realise Roger is not the standard, Roger was Jimmy Hendrix, playing with his teeth and behind his back, the rest of the Warriors were on base and drums.

A fairer comparison for Ali is Berry, when Berry played his early games he was awful till he synced with Dallin, Ali is ahead of that curve.
Think he would make a great fullback also in a Latrell Mitchell vein but better but his apparent tendency to like physicality probably makes centre his ideal position. Shit he’s played in the halves before, looks like he has his uncles skills and could probably play anywhere but his size and growth should dictate his settled position.

Think he would make a great fullback also in a Latrell Mitchell vein but better but his apparent tendency to like physicality probably makes centre his ideal position. Shit he’s played in the halves before, looks like he has his uncles skills and could probably play anywhere but his size and growth should dictate his settled position.

Ali will certainly get his opportunity. Training with FG will smooth those edges and be put in action in Cup in the meantime.

I'll say it, Pompey is a safer choice than Ali right now for his experience and defence, and his Gerry Brownlee running style is merely an illusion.

No flames, I'm new to league.
Let's be honest, mate.

Until you've been here for five years and self noted that, then does your opinion really count for anything?

Probably best to keep things in your diary till such time as you have passed that threshold.

Was hoping Vailea would be a star centre then transition to fullback someday, he faded away but upon hearing Ali was a fullback before, he'd be the perfect fit to begin his FG career at centre/wing and transition to fullback when Charnz is finished.

Was hoping Vailea would be a star centre then transition to fullback someday, he faded away but upon hearing Ali was a fullback before, he'd be the perfect fit to begin his FG career at centre/wing and transition to fullback when Charnz is finished.
He'll have to learn to get higher then Bostock et al if he wants to play FB. Plenty to learn and from what I've seen, he does listen.

I also thought Sao got slightly Shafted by Kearney and deserved better....he was under a tight leash in first grade under SK and got limited minutes. SK was very very opinionated and once he labled you as just a NSW player it was very hard for him to see that player as anything else.

Ligi outperformed a bunch of his NRL team mates at the World Cup.

Made a huge difference in the semi vs England. Shored up the left edge that Welsby tore apart in the first game, scored a try, tackled his guts out.

That play where he sprinted back 30 odd metres to take a tackle 2 carry deep into the game was gut check stuff. All on probably a fifth of the salary of some of his team mates.

He’s got the Polynesian dna so will only get bigger and I think move into the second row when the time comes.

Anyone remember Joe Galuvao?

Played FB for us then killed it as a second rower with Tony Puletua at Penrith winning 2003 GF?

I see Ali in that mould one day 💪

No idea why Pompey isnt trying to make that transition - I guess too many second rowers already at the club

He’s got the Polynesian dna so will only get bigger and I think move into the second row when the time comes.

Anyone remember Joe Galuvao?

Played FB for us then killed it as a second rower with Tony Puletua at Penrith winning 2003 GF?

I see Ali in that mould one day 💪

No idea why Pompey isnt trying to make that transition - I guess too many second rowers already at the club
I am sure as it's been mentioned before on here that webby and Pompey would have been in conversation with this

Noticed he was defending around the middle towards the end of the game too. When you look at the players that there’s been interest from us in recent times, that’s Micheal Chee Kam, Alex Setfarth and we’ve recently signed Toni Tupouniua. To me , they all share a similar shape in being tall and mobile with Seyfarth and Tupouniua playing in the middle for their teams. I think he could in that mould with another few kilos already being around 101kg. He could be an unreal utility being able to cover middle and edge forward, centre both sides and wing.

Back