General Who will coach the Warriors 2020???

Who do you want to coach the Warriors?

• Nathan Brown

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Geoff Toovey

Votes: 31 12.8%
  • Craig Fitzgibbon

Votes: 34 14.0%
  • Shane Flanagan

Votes: 28 11.5%
  • Anthony Griffin

Votes: 46 18.9%
  • Kevin Walters

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Walker brothers

Votes: 35 14.4%
  • John Cartwright

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shaun Wane

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • Todd Payton

Votes: 11 4.5%
  • Stacey Jones

• Tony Iro

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Kristain Woolf

Votes: 21 8.6%
  • Wayne Bennett

Votes: 33 13.6%
  • Michael McGuire

Votes: 18 7.4%
  • Justin Morgan

• Daniel Anderson

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Craig Bellamy

Votes: 44 18.1%

• Total voters

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Bro that was a awesome read, i didnt know about the little things he had achieved, iknow hes a good and highly respected coach so i defs agree that the club should at least make the call but by the sounds of it he will be another name added to the list of top guys who turned us down the last 12 months lol

That's the most likely outcome. Lol. But you have to ask to get rejected. As long as we ask.

FAN

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 17, 2014
Not been on here for a very long time.
Lowe has his finger right up our owners bum.
Would not surprise me one bit if Toovey gets the job.
That said I feel this is a super important time in the history of this clubs future.
Get it wrong, and we go down the same frustrating path we have done.
Get it right, and we have the potential to be a top team in this comp.
Griffin would be my pick from the list available.

Last edited:

blue bells

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 15, 2017
Its funny how that rumor has now started because earlier tonight/yesterday i was scrolling through a couple fb league pages and i came across a couple people claiming we were in secret talks with Bennet and Bellamy.. Didnt buy it for a second but its definitely curious..

Johnnyray

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2014
Yeah honestly I think we're going end up with person that we should have gone with in first place before we appointed Stephen Kearney in role all way back in 2017 and that's Geoff Toovey. For me, right now, I think it's between him or Shane Flanagan on who is going to be our team next head coach. In a perfect world though if I could pick on who our next head coach should be I would try and appoint Craig Bellamy as our head of football with his assistant Jason Ryles to be made NZ Warriors new head coach with rest of coaching staff to be decided by them. As total completely left field option knowing how much some of the players in this team have an unfair influence over coaches we've had, I've always wonder why they haven't brought in a woman assistant coach just to break things up between the playing group, knowing they'll less likely to try and start something with a woman as they would if it was a man. Somebody like NZ Warriors Women's Coach Luisa Avaiki. That could work 🤔

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Opportunity is probably one reason. He's only 44. Bellamy was 42-43 when he took over the Storm.

Currently head coach of St Helens, he wouldn't be the first to go to the ESL to prove himself after being an assistant.

Let's look at his record though.

Has a background in teaching, and was the Cowboys junior development manager for 4 years when he then took over the NYC team and got them to the finals and GF (which they lost to us).

He was then an assistant at the Broncos under Griffin for 3 years before returning to the Cowboys and taking their QLD Cup team to the GF (which they also lost).

The 2015 GF was Cowboys vs Broncos. The two teams he was either an assistant or responsible for junior development make the GF.

It's hard to say how much credit you can give to assistants and junior grade coaches, but he then goes to Newcastle as an assistant to Brown during that rebuild and look at the Knights juniors starting to blossom now.

It starts to look like less of a coincidence when more than one team has success during or not long after a coach has been there.

So looking at it from a Warrior's perspective.

He's got a strong development background at a club that needs strong development and will need to rely on juniors if they ever hope to compete.

He seems to work well with different cultures and can get the best out of them.

Not to mention that the Tongan national coach with a strong history of developing players is a great draw for the next Taumalolo/Taukeiaho etc

His playing style is aggressive defence and he seems to encourage the players to use their flair if the opportunity arises. I don't think he over coaches players with structure.

For a team that's looking for an identity, junior development and a strong understanding of all the unique cultures that make up the Warriors he's got a pretty strong foundation to work with.

He served under Nathan Brown and Anthony Griffin so he has sounding boards if need be.

Like I said, I think he's got too many positives for us not to find out if he's interested.

U make a hell of a case for him.
I would have some reservations about someone who hasn’t had a head coaching gig in the nrl before.
Obviously he’s done well with Tonga but we hired bluey and mooks because they done so well with the kiwis.
It would all just seem a bit groundhogish.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Seriously

what has Geoff Toovey been up to since he left Manly?

has been unemployed the whole time?

haven’t seem much of him on the box except for a few occasions....

is he still an angry little man or has he calmed himself down ?

Reactions: bruce

Rilakkuma

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
I’m kinda surprised so many people are voting for hook tbh.
He's got a decent record so I suppose u could make a case for him but he’s just got one of those faces u wanna punch.
Or is it just me?
I really hope we get someone who sounds a little more intelligent. Hook sounds a little slow! Too similar to Kearney.
I would only want that kind of coach as an assistant. NRL experience but not a premiership winner.
head coach has to be a proven winner or not a spaz!

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
U make a hell of a case for him.
I would have some reservations about someone who hasn’t had a head coaching gig in the nrl before.
Obviously he’s done well with Tonga but we hired bluey and mooks because they done so well with the kiwis.
It would all just seem a bit groundhogish.

Tongan coaching performance is an added bonus. It's his record and subsequent success that follows his employment at multiple clubs that interests me. That's the foundation.

Neither Bluey or Mooks had that and it could be argued both their hiring was nationality/emotion related.

Previous head coaching experience doesn't bother me. Our only two successful coaches had no previous experience.

Looking at the available coaches with head coaching experience I wouldn't be picking any of them based on that.

If our management is serious about getting this right they'll interview, open their ears and listen to what it is that really makes each candidate tick.

From there pick the best one, experience be damned. Every premiership winning coach ever started with no experience. Why pick a known stop gap who won't get a premiership with experience for the sake of having someone with experience?

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings