General Who will coach the Warriors 2020???

Who do you want to coach the Warriors?

• Nathan Brown

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Geoff Toovey

Votes: 31 12.8%
  • Craig Fitzgibbon

Votes: 34 14.0%
  • Shane Flanagan

Votes: 28 11.5%
  • Anthony Griffin

Votes: 46 18.9%
  • Kevin Walters

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Walker brothers

Votes: 35 14.4%
  • John Cartwright

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shaun Wane

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • Todd Payton

Votes: 11 4.5%
  • Stacey Jones

• Tony Iro

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Kristain Woolf

Votes: 21 8.6%
  • Wayne Bennett

Votes: 33 13.6%
  • Michael McGuire

Votes: 18 7.4%
  • Justin Morgan

• Daniel Anderson

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Craig Bellamy

Votes: 44 18.1%

• Total voters

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Kearney brought us Tohu Harris

Alex Corvo

Got Roger Tuivasa-Sheck to re-sign

Took us on the most amazing 5 game winning streak to start the 2018 season

Took us to our first prelim finals since gods knows when..

It’s not a lot but.... what has Nathan Brown done better? so far, nothing. At best we got more of the same.

I can’t believe I am defending SK here ...
2008: 7th
2006: 6th
2005: 2nd
2004: 5th

Taking on that Knights job was career suicide for him. Tanked his winning percentages. The key difference between Brown and Kearney is that Brown is actually intelligent. I think he is the youngest ever head coach. He understands the game better.

And I don’t think Kearney should get credit for the Tohu Harris and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck signings. The rest of those things I couldn’t care less about.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Those places might be 'shitholes' but to play for those clubs doesn't mean a lot of players have to move their families/ partners overseas..its not a consideration for the Sydney clubs but it sure is for everyone else. In the case of Manly...despite Brookvale the area is a damn nice part of the world to live and do life around. The beaches alone make up for Brookie.

Correct and that was what I said.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015

Taking on that Knights job was career suicide for him. Tanked his winning percentages. The key difference between Brown and Kearney is that Brown is actually intelligent. I think he is the youngest ever head coach. He understands the game better.

And I don’t think Kearney should get credit for the Tohu Harris and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck signings. The rest of those things I couldn’t care less about.

+10 years ago

He took the poison chalice at the Knights

SK took the poison chalice with Paramatta?....

They have a lot in common

Reactions: gREVUS

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012

I thought a certain Scottish CEO had a bit to do with those signings? Gould n Brown should’ve able to assist in recruiting what we need, the right Aussies such as JH.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Let’s put it another way - in hindsight they should have kept SK, signed Gould as footy director, asked Gould to do a review at the end of the year, and then made a decision about head coach. I’m pretty sure Brown would still have been available if we wanted him then...

I can’t agree as SK had plenty of chances and Autex made the gutsy call to dump him ... well done! I don’t think Gus and Nathan can go any worse.

Good on Autex for spending money to get things on track.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Think about the progress made so far since we got new owners.

1. Got rid of SK
2. Told Blair he is not needed next year
3. Told Green he is not needed next year
4. Told Beale he is not needed next year.
5. Signed Gould/Brown

Pretty happy with that.

And scared to take on dodgy Moses too.

Reactions: warriors55

wrighty

Gould could be prepared to take this gig seriously as he has put his player agent idea on the bonfire for now

Welcome Gus

That article says he isn't close to commiting to Warriors in any capacity but is strongly thinking it through along with other options.
So that article is not welcome news. It also states he would focus on pathways rather than strategic oversight of football.

Raw Power

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 30, 2016
Brisbane
OK but hey lets give Brown a chance. I guess all coaches have different values. I think our roster is better than what he had at the Knights
Hey Peewee, 'Cause Brown is in charge, I will retain the passion for our Club and ride every game good or bad, and Yes I think All Warriors Fans would love to see the success we all know we could achieve.
My son is a Manly supporter and has just arrived home from work so enjoy the game tonight come what may. Cheers Man!

Reactions: Tragic and Sup42

Raw Power

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 30, 2016
Brisbane
What's good here, no matter who the coach is, is the passion for a Rugby League team in NZ (besides the mighty KIWI) ... cause growing up playing league in Auckland in the 60's and 70's... You felt pretty isolated, besides one's family and your team mates! Love it!

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
What's good here, no matter who the coach is, is the passion for a Rugby League team in NZ (besides the mighty KIWI) ... cause growing up playing league in Auckland in the 60's and 70's... You felt pretty isolated, besides one's family and your team mates! Love it!
Exactly Raw Power .I was playing then (Point Chev).Good old days .No fuckin money then but plenty of bent noses .Haha

• Love
Reactions: Raw Power

Sledge

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 10, 2016
I think you need to take you Kearney -bigot glasses off. We all saw the changes in the first year and there was hope for more

Yeah its easy to forget what he did because people would rather judge him on his front-of-tv skills (or lack of). I sometimes think there's an alternative universe when people can't see the same things or seem to be watching a different game to the one you are. Guess there's as many different ones as there are people.
I defend Kearney because quality players wanted to play for him - you know, the ones that didn't need teaching but still have the mindset of improving every game (like Roger Tuivasa-Sheck & Harris) and if they rate him as their coach hell, who am I to say otherwise. Just because he can't talk on tv doesn't mean he doesn't talk their language.
The first year showed us the potential. The next year the injury toll (mainly Harris but others as well) cruelled a team that had no depth yet, the ops at the end of the year proved a few were playing broken. And that led to a dismal start to the next year along with the mass murder in chch it was a write off. Not even the man manager kearney could get them up - but he did hold them together.
Then along came Covid and with families upended and a reformatted season it was always going to be tough BUT it was kearney again who was keeping them together. And I believe their current win-loss would be no worse & possibly better than it is now if he hadn'been sacked like he was & the owner kept hi s nose out of it all.
Kearney has to have the worst luck in the world lol. Everyone cites his record at Parra as proof its jus t him being useless - go back and read what was happening at that club when he went there just trying kkickkstart a coaching career. Poor bast*** walked into a snake pit & civil war.
I think he' s a fantastic assistant coach and would make a solid head coach given a half decent opportunity & a boatload of luck from the gods. On top of that he seems to be a decent guy - haven't heard a peep from him in the media, have you?
THAT'S why I deffend him instead of perpetuating baseless stereotypical tropes about him.
Don't know the guy but would be happy to shake his hand if I ever met him.
What you fail to mention is his stubbornness to drop out of form player, ie Kata and Blair and just keep playing them. Playing three fucking hookers on the bench. Playing boring league, putting players in positionS they aren’t accustomed too, the list goes on. He might be a good guy but unfortunately he’s a bad coach.

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
May 24, 2013
Hey hey hey.

Don't be silly.

Bluey was a fucking shit show. I think SK wasn't good, but I won't let you go that far.
And Matt Elliott was picked because the owners liked how he interviewed. Nothing good came from him. We made semis 2 years ago. Under SK. Bluey, Elliot/Cappy was the era that doomed us.

Bluecat again

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 30, 2012
1995 to 2020 was the era that doomed us
I was underwhelmed when I heard about Brown and Gould
I so want it to work and for us to be playing grand finals but we have decades of good ideas going bad. And bad ideas going worse
Where have the PR people from the club been? So much rumor and conjecture for months and really nothing but bullshit. I would love to hear something concrete from the club rather than news articles from people that need to write something to fill their columns
If it's Brown then so be it. I hope it works for all of us

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
May 24, 2013
What you fail to mention is his stubbornness to drop out of form player, ie Kata and Blair and just keep playing them. Playing three fucking hookers on the bench. Playing boring league, putting players in positionS they aren’t accustomed too, the list goes on. He might be a good guy but unfortunately he’s a bad coach.
From the outside looking in, not knowing what was communicated between SK and Robertson, what was Kearney's plan? Was Kearney expecting more time to put the right pieces together? Did Robertson know the plan? Because all I heard from Robertson was he'd give SK 2 seasons to make GF. I thought that was a bad sign. Exactly what Glenn said when he arrived. It's an EPL mentality. NRL club owners generally don't put that kind of pressure on a coach publicly.

When Kearney was re-signed it was under another owner. The one that knew his plan. I always said it takes 10 years to change a culture.

When the Bluey/Elliott/Cappy axis of acrimony was there the club were absolute shit. They banked on U20s success. The coaches were not ready for first grade NRL. That was obvious.

Under Kearney peeps reckoned he favored Kata, Lisone, Tevaga, Papalii. They were quite good to begin with. Had heart. They were given time as proper. Juniors need time to develop. SK gave them it. After all we didn't have prospect lining up. As time passed SK got rid of Hurrell and Lolohea. Then Kata, Vete, Gubb, Lisone.

He weeded out the bad attitudes first. Then he got rid of skill deficient players. I don't see any arseholes in this team any more. Behaviour off-field is good compared to other clubs. The culture has changed. All we really needed was to build the forwards size. Which we are doing now.

My only real frustration with his method was his bench strategy. That has me bamboozled even now. And Green's speed. But that wasn't SK's fault. He didn't even know Shaun Johnson was leaving.

I'm not saying he was a great coach, but I could at least see progress and as bad as things got earlier this year, the team is now on the up and looks pretty good.

Same thing happened when Cleary left. After we let him go he made the GF.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings