General Who will coach the Warriors 2020???

Who do you want to coach the Warriors?

• Nathan Brown

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Geoff Toovey

Votes: 31 12.8%
  • Craig Fitzgibbon

Votes: 34 14.0%
  • Shane Flanagan

Votes: 28 11.5%
  • Anthony Griffin

Votes: 46 18.9%
  • Kevin Walters

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Walker brothers

Votes: 35 14.4%
  • John Cartwright

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shaun Wane

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • Todd Payton

Votes: 11 4.5%
  • Stacey Jones

• Tony Iro

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Kristain Woolf

Votes: 21 8.6%
  • Wayne Bennett

Votes: 33 13.6%
  • Michael McGuire

Votes: 18 7.4%
  • Justin Morgan

• Daniel Anderson

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Craig Bellamy

Votes: 44 18.1%

• Total voters
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
I am really confused on one point, why do so many people think Brown is better than SK. Sk was bought in to change the culture, which he did then got the arse because of his relationship with Moses. Nathan was bought in to improve the team which he didnt do and then lost the dressing room publicly and walked before he was given the arse.

He did improve them, as they had nothing when he arrived, like nothing, legit reserve grade / U20s team in 2016/17.

So when they got Pearce and Ponga and jumped up to 11th in 2018 he got a lot of praise for that.

Because he didn’t complain or moan when they went 6 – 42 (not a misprint) over two seasons he had built up a lot of credit, which disappeared on him as soon as he didn’t meet expectations last season.

My memory of his last 2 knights seasons was that they were pretty stock standard modern NRL boring.

Some big forwards rumbling up the middle, Danny Levi was a bit of a hand brake at hooker, Ponga is a rare talent, but mostly parked up on one side as a second receiver. Pearce is a bit of a weird player, should be one of the dominant halves but often isn’t for one reason or another. Connor Watson should have been an exciting wild card, but always injured.

Looking at the season stats for 18 & 19 (not really fair to look earlier) they offloaded much less than warriors and made less line breaks, but scored about the same number of tries (from kicks?) had an awful defensive season in 2018 that improved in 2019.

He’s got more personality than Kearney, so the media will like him, but there is nothing in his recent coaching form that says his team will do much better out on the field.

Hope is that he’s more adaptable and gets (or utilises) more help than what Kearney got. And be a better recruiter - which is very important.

And he has some (not many, but some) good players to work with next year, he won't be starting out with an empty sheet of paper like at newcastle.

Reactions: 6 users
Fonzie

Fonzie

Think about the progress made so far since we got new owners.

1. Got rid of SK
2. Told Blair he is not needed next year
3. Told Green he is not needed next year
4. Told Beale he is not needed next year.
5. Signed Gould/Brown

Pretty happy with that.
I think a small child or reasonably intelligent farm animal could have achieved all those things, with the possible exception of signing Gould

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
warriors55

warriors55

I think a small child or reasonably intelligent farm animal could have achieved all those things, with the possible exception of signing Gould

You are right however none of this would have happened with SK still as coach or with previous ownership.

Reactions: 3 users
Fearmuss

Fearmuss

Brown is a known loser, I would rather have a winner or at the very least a still to be determined loser.

• Haha
warriors55

warriors55

Brown is a known loser, I would rather have a winner or at the very least a still to be determined loser.

Why do you say that? Because of what happened at Newcastle?

The stats on the previous page from Robbie Mears give a better indication of his coaching ability.

News Flash - We are not going to win the competition over the next 2 years. What we need is a roster overhaul with some key Australia acquisitions and build towards a title shot in 3-5 years time. Brown is the right coach for this kind of requirement.

Also Gould is a proven winner. His signing is the most important of the two.

Reactions: 6 users

JaggedJ

Considering we have 12-13 open slots next year we'll very quickly find out whether Brown/Gus can "attract" quality players.

With the liklihood of us staying in Aus next year I wouldn't be surprised if we signed a few one year deals, guys with something to prove or youngsters who want an opportunity without having to leave Aus.

We'll see. Not excited, but can't do nothing about it sooo.....meh.

Reactions: 5 users
warriors55

warriors55

I'm surprised with the negativity about this news. Gould is a massive signing. Brown brings more to the table than Payten and a hell of a lot more than SK.

This is the time to get in behind the club and back their good decisions.

Reactions: 8 users

JaggedJ

Aaannndd then I look on Nzherald and they're referred to as our coaching "Dream Team".

Get fucked.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

tr73

I think we all need to take a reality check. True, Brownie is no super-coach and his NRL record is less than impressive. But he knows how to recruit, he understands how to build a balanced roster, and he's a young coach with ideas and energy. I heard that he got offside at the Knights with a very influential player at the club (not Ponga) and that was basically the end of him.

More importantly, he's willing to cross the ditch and take the reins to a basket-case of a club with very little upside at the moment, which is something that 99% of all the names that have been bandied about on this thread are just not prepared to do.

Gus's involvement will be hugely significant. Yes, he's acerbic and polarising. But even just having his name associated with the club - regardless of how active or engaged his involvement - will help in one key area that has been a dismal failure in recent seasons: player recruitment from Australia.

Given we're at the lowest point in our 25 year history, we can't be too fussy right now. This coaching position is rightly seen as a poisoned chalice, which is why when it came down to it, only coaches currently out of work and desperate for a start were keen.

I'll take Brownie/Gus. It's no Bellamy, it's no Bennett. But honestly, it was never going to be.
The great development in all of this is that V’Landys has obviously taken an active interest in our future. He was the one who suggested the role that Gould may take up. Having is powerful presence watching out for us and wanting the team to succeed for the benefit of the game could be the long term difference.
I think Brown is coming to develop rather than recruit. Recruits will come when we are knocking on the door of long term success.
Well done to MR and CG for getting a result in the circumstances

JaggedJ

I'm surprised with the negativity about this news. Gould is a massive signing. Brown brings more to the table than Payten and a hell of a lot more than SK.

This is the time to get in behind the club and back their good decisions.

We've played this game before. Until Gould's role is actually defined, not to mention how much Mohawk is willing to back him, then there's really just hype based on reputation rather than anything solid to get excited about.

After 26 years some of us just aren't so easily shifted into the "this time will be different" camp.

Vancent

Vancent

🫣
Contributor
I am really confused on one point, why do so many people think Brown is better than SK. Sk was bought in to change the culture, which he did then got the arse because of his relationship with Moses.
Stop it.....no really stop it brother.

If after that tenure after those 3 or more years, if you believe that - then providing you with any more logic isn’t going to help you...

No offence intended, much love and rainbows and such - but please stop that talk 😳😔

Reactions: 1 users
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor

yeah, on paper, but Gould has to fully commit, and the owners have to stump up the cash to act on his advice.

Brown has a lot to prove, in his favor he has a lot of experience for a relatively young coach, at least he's not an old dog getting his last job. and because he's been involved here a bit, he won't be going in blind. you got the sense Matty Elliott didn't know what he'd go himself into.

Keaney had his selling points as well at the time, success with kiwis, got the kiwi spine to work with here, learnt from bellamy and bennett, surely parra cant be held against him as they were a tyre fire, etc, etc.

Fonzie

Fonzie

Why do you say that? Because of what happened at Newcastle?

The stats on the previous page from Robbie Mears give a better indication of his coaching ability.

News Flash - We are not going to win the competition over the next 2 years. What we need is a roster overhaul with some key Australia acquisitions and build towards a title shot in 3-5 years time. Brown is the right coach for this kind of requirement.
I reckon we are potentially closer than that. Give me Shaun Johnson, another big middle and a centre and I don’t see why we can’t win a comp
Stop it.....no really stop it brother.

If after that tenure after those 3 or more years, if you believe that - then providing you with any more logic isn’t going to help you...

No offence intended, much love and rainbows and such - but please stop that talk 😳😔
I agree with him mate. Not obvious to me that Brown is a better coach than SK. I hope he is obviously

• Wow

the borg

Well it's sorted, like it or not, Its the Gus and Brownie show... Best thing to do now is get in and support them. Time to move to the player recruitment thread now ... that will no doubt be active for the next few months.

Reactions: 9 users

Qlder

The GUS signing is a smart move by management. But, one of the largest reasons why Gus is successful is that he's a very hands on person - he gets stuck in. He lived and breathed the Panthers when he was employed there, so he had the opportunity to look listen and learn the problems at ground level.

Given (I) Travel restrictions and the need to quarantine for 14 days at either end of the journey (ii) His broadcasting and commitments to NRL and other clubs on a consultancy basis, how in reality is this going to work, especially when developing pathways for the juniors and righting the Warriors ship? Surely this would require him to be located in Auckland/NZ for large periods of time to fully understand the existing setup and challenges?

Remote consulting in this specific case won't cut it.

Reactions: 2 users
Vancent

Vancent

🫣
Contributor
I reckon we are potentially closer than that. Give me Shaun Johnson, another big middle and a centre and I don’t see why we can’t win a comp

I agree with him mate. Not obvious to me that Brown is a better coach than SK. I hope he is obviously
I think the stats that have been posted on the past two pages remain evidence enough frankly.

And don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting Brown is a great Coach, but he’s well ahead of Kearney on the numbers, building a roster (in a smaller catchment - sooner), I mean seriously, I’m not seeing it as close?!

6Again

What do you all see in Gould?

Sounds like you’ve tuned out to him and that’s fair enough. The impact he’s had on rugby league participation out in Western Sydney is what interests me more than anything.

It was no mean feat building that Panthers Academy (should take a look if you haven’t already) and setting up the junior pathways out there, while Rugby league participation numbers continue to fall away year after year almost everywhere else at the foot of the mountains that trend was reversed and continues to rise.

It’s his strategic decision making in junior development where I want to see the benefits, nobody has been able to create sustainable success in the clubs greatest asset. If someone with Goulds intellect and wealth of rugby league knowledge can’t have a positive impact in that area then fuck it, we might as well take our bat and ball and go home.

• Love
pompower

pompower

Aaannndd then I look on Nzherald and they're referred to as our coaching "Dream Team".

Get fucked.

They're the worst. This is one day after they put out their piece on this being the lowest we've ever been lmao.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
jsmooove

jsmooove

Sounds like you’ve tuned out to him and that’s fair enough. The impact he’s had on rugby league participation out in Western Sydney is what interests me more than anything.

It was no mean feat building that Panthers Academy (should take a look if you haven’t already) and setting up the junior pathways out there, while Rugby league participation numbers continue to fall away year after year almost everywhere else at the foot of the mountains that trend was reversed and continues to rise.

It’s his strategic decision making in junior development where I want to see the benefits, nobody has been able to create sustainable success in the clubs greatest asset. If someone with Goulds intellect and wealth of rugby league knowledge can’t have a positive impact in that area then fuck it, we might as well take our bat and ball and go home.
just to add on to this Gus has an incredible amount of success in rugby league terms. He over promised with penrith claiming a grand final within his 5 year plan. He made a critical mistake getting rid of cleary but im sure he has learned from it

*Man was also a first grade rugby league player

*Won two premier ships with the bulldogs and the panthers

*Rebuilt the roosters in the 90's

* coaching director at the roosters when Ricky Stuart was there

* Most successful coach NSW has

He is a terrible commentator but easily the most successful person we could have at this club. hes done everything except coach the roos. pretty damn impressive if you ask me