Recruitment Who Should The Warriors Sign For 2018/2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Anybody else see SBW on the Matty Johns show last night?

From what he said about being a voice for Pasifika people, I had a weird feeling he wants to play for the Warriors in 2020.

I saw it, I found something not quite right about the way he spoke, it didn’t seem like his words it was like a carefully managed persona saying what he thought people wanted to hear rather than showing his own personality- might be wrong he did seem pretty nervous so could have been that.
Re:Warriors he did say if he were to return to NRL it’d be for the roosters, not sure it’d be wise to move back at his age

Reactions: Sup42
Wish we had poached Moeaki Fotuaika from the Titans before he signed a four year deal at the start of the year. Kid is the real deal and born in NZ.

18 year old props getting regular NRL game time don't come around very often.

He'd be my rookie of the year behind Jamayne Isaako.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hazman and Weno
Wish we had poached Moeaki Fotuaika from the Titans before he signed a four year deal at the start of the year. Kid is the real deal and born in NZ.

18 year old props getting regular NRL game time don't come around very often.

He'd be my rookie of the year behind Jamayne Isaako.

This kid is a gun. If he played for a higher profile team, the media would be raving about him and his potential. Like you said is still only 18. Can play anywhere in the forward pack bar hooker. Has a huge motor on him explosive and you just know he wants it. If you want the Warriors to sign one of the next big things in the NRL, this guy is it.

Also has an incredible/sad story. Interesting to note that his parents returned back to NZ earlier this year. Maybe if the Warriors tried to sign/approached him he could play the home sick card. Although i doubt he would that.

Last edited:
This kid is a gun. If he played for a higher profile team, the media would be raving about him and his potential. Like you said is still only 18.
Agreed, there would be a lot more hype about him if he played for any team other than the Titans. Hardly any talk about him. He's probably the best prop prospect I've seen in the last 10 years at least.

For those that didn't know, he was stuck behind Payne Haas (Broncos) and Thomas Mikaele (Tigers) at Keebra Park High School, and didn't receive a single offer from an NRL club when he finished school. Rocked up to an open trial for Titans U20's carved up and got signed. Then started for U20's from round 1, usually playing 80 minutes at prop and dominating. Then got called up to Junior Kiwis as a 17 year old (pretty rare in itself). Now the Titans have signed him for 4 years on pretty big money for an 18 year old. To go from finishing high school and having no NRL interest to becoming a first grade regular in just over a year is insane. On top of that he had to overcome the tragic passing of his brother Mosese Fotuaika (a promising U20 player for the West Tigers).

i would love to see the Warriors sign Anthony Griffin on a short term contract.

Use him to steal all the intellectual property for undoing Penrith when we play them.

See if the bloke wants to take up McFaddens spot for next year...keep our coaching depth of experience high.

I would like them to hire a kick-arse corporate headhunter. Someone who could really target suitable TPAs. Obviously they couldn't be directly linked to the Warriors because thats how TPA's work (nod,nod wink, wink).
GoDoyle is no longer "associated" with the warriors I could imagine him being a great conduit between potential sponsors and some of our players.

I don't know how old Dean Whare is but I think we should have a crack at him next time he is off contract. He is defensively strong and can put a good shot on and has a clear ability to feed a world class winger. He offers more than Beale in defence and Hiku in offence. I think he could make Fusitua the most dynamic winger in the game. Maybe we could lure him back home for his final contract

Stalefish540

Contributor
I don't know how old Dean Whare is but I think we should have a crack at him next time he is off contract. He is defensively strong and can put a good shot on and has a clear ability to feed a world class winger. He offers more than Beale in defence and Hiku in offence. I think he could make Fusitua the most dynamic winger in the game. Maybe we could lure him back home for his final contract
He signed a 5 year deal last year from memory.

Reactions: YeahNah 4020
To get a flash Center or prop you have to be able to offer a Sydney Life style and some TPA's or flat out diddle the cap.

Obviously we have poured all our money into having a flash spine, with Blake Green the only modest contract...healthy though not cheap.

Take a look at our Forward pack. There is not one single expensive Prop.

The money has been spent on the Hooker and some high end backrowers (Blair and Harris) with some middle of the road Prop backrow transformers (Paasi, Pulu, Gavet, Afoa, Sao Mannering).

IIRC correctly, Paasi was signed on a one year cheap deal, clearly that is going to be upgraded and chew Cap.

Afoa is trending towards becoming very expensive.

Harris is on the most money.

Ah Mau is coming in on a pretty cheap deal if projections are true.

Papalii is going to be worth some real coin eventually.

All that adds up to Luke needing to accept a Modest deal from the Warriors.

Reactions: Off The Bench
It's a sad reflection of the Auckland competition that we don't see any players coming through from the Fox Memorial to the NRL anymore.
The gap is so big I doubt scouts pay any attention, instead concentrating on age group competitions and first fifteen rugby.
We need to seriously improve our domestic competitions, not sure how but lack of money is probably a starting point.
Big potential talent pool that has been left to slip away.

Status
Not open for further replies.