General Who Should The Warriors Sign For 2017?

Status
Not open for further replies.
InsideBall

InsideBall

I was massively impressed by Hess in that game. That was his, what 8th game of NRL? Incredible.

Reactions: 2 users
Navigator

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
I'd marry Jim Doyle if next time out he convinces Taumalolo to come home. Two other blokes from the Cowboys, I don't know what their contract status is, that I'd be keeping close tabs on are Coen Hess and John Asiata. Big units with footwork and pace.
that game last night had the type of forwards we need....... bang bang bang all thru the game even in extra time man that was a great game to watch till the ref got involved....lol

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Whats peoples thoughts on Sam Moa???

The best remaining free agents
By Josh Chahal
September 24, 2016
open-market.jpg

MOST of the high-profile talent has already been snapped up . . . but that’s not to say there isn’t some gold still available on the open market.

Benji Marshall

nrlp-Marshall-1.jpg

The former Dragon has found offers short to come by and it seems he may have played his final games in the NRL.

However, the Storm are still reportedly interested in throwing Marshall a lifeline – a move that may could prove beneficial to both parties.

Playing alongside Cronk and Smith will allow the former Kiwi international to play his natural game without the responsibility thrown on his shoulders during his time at the Dragons.

If things don’t eventuate south of the border, expect to see the 31-year-old call it a day.

Sam Moa

The Kiwi international had made it known earlier this year that he wanted to re-sign with the Roosters, but the misfiring prop had an underwhelming campaign that may cost him his spot at the club.

That being said there won’t be any shortage of offers for a proven international who, on his day, can mix it with the best in the comp.

The Sea Eagles are thought to be front-runners for his signature and the Tongan-born forward would bring a wealth of talent and experience to Brookvale.

While no formal offers have been made as yet, we certainly expect to see the 30-year-old lining up somewhere for the start of the 2017 season.

Luciano Leilua

nrlp-Leilua-L.jpg

The young forward was a late bloomer this season after being handed his debut in round 22 against the Broncos – and it’s an opportunity he took with both hands.

In a season to forget for the Red V they were given reason to cheer at the potential shown by the 20-year-old big man, although the prospect of losing him before his career has even begun would be a bitter pill to swallow for their fans.

Dragons director of rugby league Ian Millwald came out this week saying the club wouldn’t be outbid in their attempts to re-sign the future star but that hasn’t stopped the Bulldogs from sniffing around.

With Tony Williams set to vacate Belmore, Leilua would provide the physical presence Des Hasler loves off the bench.

Tony Williams

It seemed for a while that T-Rex had rediscovered his form as the Bulldogs strung together a decent run of form heading into the final couple months of the season.

His impact off the bench alongside Sam Kasiano had fans believing the 27-year-old could still be a hit in the NRL. However, his form didn’t carry through when his side needed him the most and it seems Hasler is ready to show him the door.

The Sharks are said to be interested in bringing him to the Shire, with his potential off the bench certainly an attractive option for Shane Flanagan next season.

If he can find consistency to his game there’s no denying the threat he brings to a side when coming on and running and a tiring defence.

Zak Hardaker

The Englishman has hardly set the world alight since making the mid-season switch from Super League outfit Leeds and it seems the Panthers aren’t prepared to offer him an extension.

While question marks remain over his ability to make it in the NRL, there’s a few unfortunate factors that have worked against him. The 24-year-old has been used in a variety of positions, while rarely being utilised in his preferred position at fullback.

A full pre-season with an NRL side would certainly bring out the best in Hardaker – the question is who would be willing to take a punt on an unproven back?

Mitch Rein

nrlp-rein-m.jpg

After being shown the door at the Dragons it seems options are limited – possibly even non-existent – for Rein in the NRL.

The Knights were said to be the only realistic option for the 26-year-old but with the club all but set to secure Rory Kostjasyn, it seems it’s another door closed for the former Country representative.

With Robbie Farah moving on and Dene Halatau hanging up the boots, a gig at the Tigers may be the only viable option for Rein should he remain in Australia.

If nothing comes to fruition over the coming weeks it seems only logical that Rein head overseas, with Super League clubs sure to show interest in a player of his calibre.

Ben Hannant

nrlp-hannant.jpg

The Cowboys veteran looks set to be holding out for a new offer from his current employers, although their reluctance to get the deal done suggests they may be exploring other options.

The 31-year-old (32 in December) believes he still has plenty to offer, and while clubs may be reluctant to offer a deal to an ageing prop there’s no hiding what you’ll get from the former Test star.

Whether he’s a Plan B or Plan C for any side it will be a welcome addition with the hardworking forward certain to provide stability and assurance you’d expect from a player with this much experience.

Everything points to him remaining with the Cowboys, but should they shun their interest in retaining the veteran he’ll certainly be worth a gig elsewhere.

https://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/best-remaining-free-agents/

Harlz

Harlz

We all know what Sam Moa brings. Prior to this season he was a premier prop much like our boy Matulino. Moa brings a steel edge to the middle and hits the line like a mini dump truck. If he's currently on 100k then I'd give him around the same figure here

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Blain

Blain

Lol $100K? Yeah man I'd take him for that. Apparently was after an un realistic amount when we were talking to him earlier in the season ($400k-$500k+). He's a kiwi prop, he'll be after at least $300k.

I don't think he'd be worth that for us, although I'd take him for a 1 year deal if we have cash left over (which I can't imagine we'd have much, with Foran coming).

Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
Gee, Mitch Rein is a pretty good player to not have interest. The NRL must be hooker rich at the moment with clubs happy to see him and Segeyaro head off-shore.

Hardaker might be worth an inquiry, but then we'd be starting to build the dickhead brigade up again.

Lets Gone

Earlier in the year i wasn't to keen on Sam Moa. But now thinking about it, seeing where our prop stocks are. If we could get him for cheap, he wouldn't be a bad pick up. Could have a good impact coming off the bench. With a rotation of;

Matulino: injury free, kearney to push him during the off season, a few more offloads.
Lillyman: solid, nothing fancy football
Vete: energy, young, another pre season to develop

Moa: run it hard to the line, wont be skipping to the line, would have good impact coming off the bench

Sipley and Lisone to continue to develop, and be cover.

snake77

snake77

If we could get Moa for the little cap space I'm guessing we have remaining I'd be in favour of it. If we couldn't reach an agreement last year when we probably had more to spend I can't see him coming here and it either re-sign with the Roosters or Manly.

I've haven't watched a great deal of Roosters matches this year. But I have spent some time watching Moa when I have been watching the Roosters. He hasn't been hitting the line as hard as previous years but has been passing more before the line.

Chchwarrior

Take Moa if he's cheap. They really need to lose Manu. Yes he still has plenty to offer. But he's on too much money for a average first grader.

Chchwarrior

Gee, Mitch Rein is a pretty good player to not have interest. The NRL must be hooker rich at the moment with clubs happy to see him and Segeyaro head off-shore.

Hardaker might be worth an inquiry, but then we'd be starting to build the dickhead brigade up again.
Rein is terrible. Can't pass. Constantly puts his forwards under pressure. I'd take hardarker if the price is cheap. Good player

Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
Rein is terrible. Can't pass. Constantly puts his forwards under pressure. I'd take hardarker if the price is cheap. Good player

Not saying Rein is the next Cam Smith, but if he is not in the top 16 hookers in the game then the NRLs hooking berths are very strong. There was a lot of talk about him being the Blues hooker if Farah was unfit this year.

Horriors2014

Horriors2014

Not sure if this is the right thread. But I read the Feki collumn in Stuff. With his mum seriously ill, he's getting homesick. I think with JD's smooth-talking it's quite on the cards to recruit him-IF the club wanted him. He was a solid centre in U20s. These days I reckon he has solidified that reputation. He could really compliment Kata and Fusitua. I would choose a big prop/attacking second rower over a centre, but I wouldn't say no to Feki if it was at minimal cost.

Reactions: 4 users
brightman

brightman

Not sure if this is the right thread. But I read the Feki collumn in Stuff. With his mum seriously ill, he's getting homesick. I think with JD's smooth-talking it's quite on the cards to recruit him-IF the club wanted him. He was a solid centre in U20s. These days I reckon he has solidified that reputation. He could really compliment Kata and Fusitua. I would choose a big prop/attacking second rower over a centre, but I wouldn't say no to Feki if it was at minimal cost.
I like it, Sean O'Sullivan & Beale have been solid and are now going to be GF experienced too!

diehard

We need a winger. Manu to the forwards. Feki would be perfect!

Reactions: 1 users
Jay M

Jay M

Not saying Rein is the next Cam Smith, but if he is not in the top 16 hookers in the game then the NRLs hooking berths are very strong. There was a lot of talk about him being the Blues hooker if Farah was unfit this year.

he might be in the top 16. just. I wouldn't have him in the top 10 though. I'd prefer all of the following, and maybe some others over Rein.

Smith
Luke (maybe a bit of reputation there, but I would still rather have Luke than Rein in my side any day)
McCullough
Granville
Segeyaro (yes, he may have fallen out of favour at the panthers, but devastating at his best)
Farah
Ennis (retiring - but on current form > Rein)
Lichaa
Peats
Koroisau
J Friend
Hodgson

BeastMode

BeastMode

Take Moa if he's cheap. They really need to lose Manu. Yes he still has plenty to offer. But he's on too much money for a average first grader.

Mao isn't very big. He had a big heart when his bro SBW was at the Roosters. These days, he's slowly winding it down.

Would be a bad buy having him.

We need size and skill. Moa doesn't fill that requirement. I would rather see Manu reev it up in the forwards.

Reactions: 5 users
brightman

brightman

o_Oso in other words even if he's the rake for the wooden spooners and potentially the perennial losers NSW he's top 16 in his position?

Does that include u20s?

• Haha
Jay M

Jay M

Would anyone trade Lillyman for Hannant?

I would because I think Hannant is a better player (off the bench) than Lillyman.

That being said - didn't he get homesick for Qld when he was at the Bulldogs and wanted an early release? i.e. probably wouldn't want to come here.

Status
Not open for further replies.