General Who should play against the Titans?

Viking_old

Ivan will probably field a more settled line up in the coming weekend and I doubt there'd be any 20s in the 1st grade squad apart from Packer so who do you think will go over?

If Witt isn't in this trial it's probably a strong indication that the Warriors will try to offload him this year. I can't see Luaki or Ta'ai going and I'd say either Solomona or Kirk won't be travelling either.

Northern_Union

Big mistake leaving Witt out in my opinion. Luaki's dropping is about 3 season's over due.
Kirk offers good utility value though he tends to have a loose carry bringing the ball back. And i don't know enough about Ta'ai to comment.

Viking_old

If Witt is truly still in the picture, he should definately be there which is why an omission would really be the writing on the wall. I expect Luaki to move on shortly as rumoured and Ta'ai was off the pace and made too many mistakes to be considered in the short-term IMO. Solomona was good yesterday but I reckon he'd be one too many wingers to take across. I've got a gut feeling that Lewis will travel so that Lance can get half a game at fullback.

daj3_old

I read that lewis scored off a pass from Jones... doesn't sound like the typical try from a hooker? Would I be right in assuming he played a more hooker/2nd row type role yesterday? He has the build for it, given he obviously has the defense and ball skills to be signed as a hooker, could he be the ball playing lock the warriors need?

daj3_old

Oh ok... good to know. I had only seen him ever listed as a hooker, at 96kgs he'd make a handy utility. Sort of the role I'd imagine Eastwood fulfilling. A bench with Hohaia and a utility forward would be handily flexible in these low-interchange times.

2big2strong_old

He looks like a serial killer, seriously.

Probably from Aramoana or Gore.

Northern_Union

He does have a certain serial killer look about him. Might add some intimadation to the pack.

Spence_old

His try was kinda him just backing uo after passing to Moon, so it was while he was playing in a hooker role. I have seen Luke score a few trys in this fashion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesbass_old

I thought Witt was playing for the Vulcans because he's still rebuilding fitness from his injury/surgery. If that's the case, him not going to play the Titans doesn't really say much.

Magic Stick_old

I hope they run out a full strength line-up

Mckinnon
Kemp
Tate
Ropati
Vatuvei
Moon
Jones
Price
Henderson
Rapira
Mannering
Matulino
Luck

Packer
Royal
Lillyman ? not sure of his status,he was at albany,dude is built like hercules
Hohaia

Brown
Fien
Ah Van

Magic Stick_old

I read that lewis scored off a pass from Jones... doesn't sound like the typical try from a hooker? Would I be right in assuming he played a more hooker/2nd row type role yesterday? He has the build for it, given he obviously has the defense and ball skills to be signed as a hooker, could he be the ball playing lock the warriors need?

It was Moon that gave Lewis Brown the nice short ball

Spence_old

I agree with the Lewis Brown comment. He is seriously scarry looking.

And I also have to agree with you about Lillyman, Magic Stick. He is ridiculously cut, especially his legs.

Okay, so I think we can safely say the only halves, at the beginning anyway, is Jones, Fien, Moon or Witt. I think Moon has a stronger running game then Witt, and Fien has a better distrobution game then Witt. Both Kemp and Moon look like decent kickers. Question at a Witt fan - What does Witt have to offer over Fien and Moon? Is he a more complete package?

(BTW, this is assuming Jones is halfback, just to simplify things.)

ThatBoyJones_old

I hope they run out a full strength line-up

Mckinnon
Kemp
Tate
Ropati
Vatuvei
Moon
Jones
Price
Henderson
Rapira
Mannering
Matulino
Luck

Packer
Royal
Lillyman ? not sure of his status,he was at albany,dude is built like hercules
Hohaia

Brown
Fien
Ah Van

Dito Magic Stick. This is the side I would like to see named as well. Not sure if Cleary will go with an out and out full strength line up for the trial but i'd say this is the current number one team at the moment (the bench can be a mix of horses for courses for mine).

Hopefully they will want to go into the season proper three from three. We have the sort of side that could easily put on 20-30 points a game, so we really need to tighten our defence.

Spence_old

Our defence is fine. Especially the forwards. Ropati and Jones would be the only weak points, and from what I have seen Stacey is looking not too bad on D. And Ropati isn't really that bad either. And Manu, if he keeps coming off his wing. I think the reason our defence was shabby against the Cowboys was because of the pack we were using, for large periods of time it contained Ah Mau, Lauaki, Poching, etc, not to mention we were swapping players all the time, as you do in trials. I think when Rapira, Luck, Mats, Lillyman, etc are playing, our defence is good.

I think its funny how much people were hating on Moon before the trials, and now he is in pretty much everyones starting team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magic Stick_old

Spence remember Stacey can goal kick too...Ive seen more from Moon in 2 games than Witts entire career at the Warriors.the Storm need a standoff

Witt has potential, but he is too hesitant like he is scared to go full noise,thus going halve arsed,playing outside of Rovelli wouldnt of helped though

Moon looks a natural 6.. and haves a confidence about him, and is prepared to chance his arm, His running game is good,he takes on the line and made a few breaks yesterday,passing game is alright,just needs tweaked so he hits his mark more often,kicking game is solid, has a big boot with a deadly spiral bomb on him