General Who should coach the Warriors in 2013?

Who should coach the Warriors in 2013?

• Total voters
Defence

Defence

nope that's a - I don't see the point of the question at this stage, so that leaves me time to make plans about the future, assuming that I was in a position to affect the future of the warriors

Well if your making plans before the season is finished that's a no- if you would what till after the season to start planning that's a yes.
Either the question still wasn't clear or u didn't want to answer for some reason- either way sweet as ill leave it alone

OMG

OMG

Not sure how the 2013 roster is better than what Bluey had at his disposal. Agree about the additional staff though, both had injuries, every team has injuries.

2012 - 2013

J. Maloney - T. Leuluai
K. Inu - D. Nielsen
M. Luck - T. Lowrie
L. Brown - D. Peyroux
U. Ta’i - S. Matagi
O. Slaimankel - N. Laumape

Pretty much a wash, I guess you could say Johnson, Hurrell, Fisiahi are better players with that extra year of experience.
Defensively TL and Neilsen were an upgrade on Jimmy and Ropo or Krisnan.
Lowrie was definitely a downgrade
Brown and Peroux are a tie defnsively
Matagi was an up grade
Ngani was an upgrade
Chuck Gubb in there for depth, he was good against the Bunnies but it was a strange decision to drop Matagi
We didn't improve defensively on what was a better defensive squad.

2012 we had far more games with injuries to senior players in particular,
Sammy - 7 games
Luck - 6
Lillyman-16
Friend -17
Manners -19
Mutts-22
Russell-24
Mateo-24
Taylor-23

This year
Sammy-22
Lillyman-22
Friend-21
Manners-23
Mutts-24
Russell-9
Mateo-24
Taylor-23
Lowrie-21

Reactions: 1 user
Defence

Defence

Id love to know of all these half decent coaches that would:
- be a guaranteed upgrade on Elliot
- be assured of being a hit with the players
- who would want to come to a club rife with player power, which resulted in players not putting in for their last coach who then subsequently got sacked.
- who would want to come to a club that is not in Australia, and be prepared to move their family for a shot at a club that has just gone through 3 coaches the last 3 years.

Poisoned chalice? Or an actual First Grade Coaching Opportunity?

Quite a few coaches names have been thrown out there in the last couple of pages and if they ticked your first box- are they an upgrade on Elliott? id be asking how they feel about the rest of your criteria- and I'd be doing it before the end of next season because (among other things) I think giving them little notice would diminish our chances.
I would have liked to know if u feel the same but like grevous your not under arrest so I won't interrogate u any further.

tajhay

tajhay

🏉
Quite a few coaches names have been thrown out there in the last couple of pages and if they ticked your first box- are they an upgrade on Elliott? id be asking how they feel about the rest of your criteria- and I'd be doing it before the end of next season because (among other things) I think giving them little notice would diminish our chances.
I would have liked to know if u feel the same but like grevous your not under arrest so I won't interrogate u any further.

I havent seen an option presented that is a definite upgrade on Elliot. They all seem to be in the same class or untested in NRL. Do we just want to go back two years and hire another Bluey?

Btw i have already answered the question. Id rather we not make a rash decision and get some steadiness in the ship first before overreacting and predetermining that the captain is taking us the wrong path to the destination. As of right now we do not know. Changing the coach now sets a bad precedent that the players can choose who they want to coach.

Defence

Defence

I havent seen an option presented that is a definite upgrade on Elliot. They all seem to be in the same class or untested in NRL. Do we just want to go back two years and hire another Bluey?

Btw i have already answered the question. Id rather we not make a rash decision and get some steadiness in the ship first before overreacting and predetermining that the captain is taking us the wrong path to the destination. As of right now we do not know. Changing the coach now sets a bad precedent that the players can choose who they want to coach.

So Benett, Bellamy, hasler, toovey, McGuire, Robinson, flanagan aren't upgrades? Or u just think its that unlikely top dollar could buy any of them that u wouldn't bother asking?
And so is it fair to say your answer is yes u would wait till the season is finished before making a decision?

tajhay

tajhay

🏉
So Benett, Bellamy, hasler, toovey, McGuire, Robinson, flanagan aren't upgrades? Or u just think its that unlikely top dollar could buy any of them that u wouldn't bother asking?
Are any of them available? If not, then they aren't options. Its akin to saying we need a centre, and Greg Inglis is an option. Its not. Its wishful thinking.

And so is it fair to say your answer is yes u would wait till the season is finished before making a decision?
Haven't i already stated as such? Not sure why you are so interested in this question. I would wait until the latter part of season 2014 at the earliest. If we dont, good luck getting a coach who knows he will be sacked regardless of length of contract if they fail to make the 8.

Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
Some interesting comments here.

I am still on the Elliott bandwagon (albeit without knowing what is really going on behind the scenes). As he identified when he arrived, there were some serious issues with the culture of the club, systems in place etc. He was brought in to change these structures and systems. I mean c'mon, this club has been mediocre for a very long time, which shows that things have not been built correctly from the bottom up. The way I saw it, and the way Elliott talked when he was new in the job, is that he is here to set the business of the NZ Warriors back up from its currently wobbly foundations, almost like a statuatory manager. In that way he is more like an business manager than a coach as some players would define it. He was never the guy that is going to be out there with tackle bags smashing sense into the players. As a teacher, I would put use the analogy that he is like a college principal; he is not an active teacher in the classroom, but he is making sure the teachers (trainers) are doing their job properly and getting the support they need. The Warriors needed a manager more than anything else and I believe this is where Bluey would have fallen down.

At least Elliott is making changes, making the tough calls - we need this otherwise we will always be mediocre. Bluey resisted change, to the point of not even signing players and in one year the club really got itself in the shit.

I would be really interested to know what it is that the players expect a coach to be. What attributes, skills do they desire and are they good for the club holisitcally? All this talk of players not following his game plan because it is crap and stuff - how long do foundation skills and structures take to learn properly? Are we looking at long term gains here or are we going to get frustrated and give up when something doesn't work straight away or takes a lot of determination or effort? Or is it true that Elliott just doesn't have the knowledge and skills to put in place these long term gains?

As Hitman pointed out Elliott in a managerial role teamed with a hands on coach seems from the outside to be a logical direction for the club to travel in. I have not seen any concrete evidence that Elliott is not doing the job this club required from him and would like to see him continue it. There could be nothing more catastrophic than letting go of a coach with the job half finished, he needs to be allowed to rebuild from the tough decisions made. A person who is tasked with what he has been tasked with will NEVER be popular at first.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Defence

Defence

Are any of them available? If not, then they aren't options. Its akin to saying we need a centre, and Greg Inglis is an option. Its not. Its wishful thinking.

Well to my knowledge at least three of their contracts are up at the end of the year and as for the rest well u would have to ask them. Your own example inglis wasn't available when sths signed him- he was already training with brisbane- footy contracts ain't worth the paper they're written on.

Blindside

TBH not really keen to see a a recycled FG coach who has around a few clubs but really had no success - IMO either a top end coach with a positive winning ratio who can be poached for $ - Hasler , Madge or go with a rookie with the right coaching pedigree - Walters, Morgan, McFadden.

The coaching saga was to messy last year and dragged out to long. I agree with an earlier post , having the right coach in place is a massive tool for recruitment.

The coach has to lead from the top and initiate that winning culture for players to buy into IMO - I still look at the regular top 4 clubs in the comp and wonder how we could get those coaches here and in still that winning attitude.

I think your question was answered last year. You buy the best - then wait a year for his contract to finish! Not throw the toys out the window when he won't break his contract.

Reactions: 1 users
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Other than Graham Murray who is now too dead for the job ME stands out for experience. Jason Taylor could have been a possibility. However, Matt is the Coach, everybody, especially players have to get on board. There are always personality clashes, everybody, no matter if they be coaches or players have to get over it and push the cause forward.

Defence

Defence

Haven't i already stated as such? Not sure why you are so interested in this question. I would wait until the latter part of season 2014 at the earliest. If we dont, good luck getting a coach who knows he will be sacked regardless of length of contract if they fail to make the 8.

I thought it was a pretty simple question- I explained why I think it's better to move early now you've explained why u think its better to wait- I was just interested in other people's opinions not sure why that was a drama

Hitman82

Hitman82

Any Goss on the players relationship with McFadden?

Nothing really... I've only heard vaguely positive comments. mt.wellington have you heard much?

Of course, if there is an attitude issue here - it's much easier to hate the captain and like the first mate.

edd

edd

I think Tomkins has the capacity to sort out a lot of our problems...

Forget how good he is as a player for a moment... He's credited by some with turning Wigan back into a championship winning team... Their win/loss ratio before he hit FG was about 50/50, and after it shot up to 75/25... I'd like some of that please...

And when the pressure was on him, after announcing his leaving for us, he still played his balls off and helped his Warriors over the line to win both the ESL titles...

That's something special that our Warriors have never had before...

Elliott's an experienced coach with a vast technical knowledge of the game, but he lacks what Tomkins got... Big Hairy Balls that aren't afraid of winning everything...

So I say let 2014 play out and see what happens...

Reactions: 2 users

Buck777

If there REALLY is a behind the scenes issue with the players and Elliot, to the point that we'd be looking at losing an unacceptable quantity of talent - I would look at the rumoured original plan of moving Elliot into a managerial role for 2015. You could then hire a less experienced but tactically respected coach as his front man.
I don't think there is. Well let's put it this way - a small bitter minority inside the club would like us ( as fans )to think that discontent is widespread - but I understand that it's not. Just like the bulldogs weren't seriously interested in Locke. Perception v Reality

Reactions: 5 users
Sebastian

Sebastian

I don't think there is. Well let's put it this way - a small bitter minority inside the club would like us ( as fans )to think that discontent is widespread - but I understand that it's not. Just like the bulldogs weren't seriously interested in Locke. Perception v Reality

That's what i suspect Buck which is why i held the same view. A small minority manipulating us into thinking the problems are bigger than they really are. I'd hate to find out after the fact that ME was doing a decent job all along. Trying to change the DNA of a club would be hard enough. Let alone at a club like the Warriors. Let alone with a man with ME's reputation. He could be really doing a great job and we're turning on him for nothing. Without knowing for sure it's so murky! Especially with so many changes occuring. Tomkins coming will great for the club. But i also want the club united and stable for when he arrives. Whether that's with or without ME i just want a united club. And at the end of the day we're just going to have to trust people like Eric and Owen. And that they're fully aware of any situation. In ways we can only speculate.

Reactions: 8 users
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
My mate played under Elliot for a couple of years so I just rung to get his opinion and it went like this- warriors are farked, everyone will love him at the start coz he's got the gift of the gab and great ideas but he plays too many mind games and says one thing but does another so the players don't respect him coz he talks too much kaka. Also he has his favorites and treats them differently.

Good to see this mighty thread reopened.

Great to read your post again with abit more knowledge about the man in question. I was shocked when I read it because you had posted word for word what I have heard from several players personally and a couple more from other members of this forum. One of the biggest gripes is that he justs talks far too much period and about unrelated stuff that confuses most who hear it. Tangents is a specialty of his.

Some ME fanbois still wont believe though...

World cup warriors who would be considered senior players, there's only one that I can think of who wasn't around for Ivan/Bluey/Iro. If it isn't him, and they seriously (seriously) think that ME is worse the Bluey, then maybe anyone would be better. It's easy to forget now how inept they were in the second half of 2012, hard to believe ME is a worse coach than that.

Really? Just one? Theres a few there...

Nothing really... I've only heard vaguely positive comments. mt.wellington have you heard much?

I'll ask around. They are all pretty busy at the moment with RLWC and offseason training but I'll bear the question in mind when the opportunity arises...

Reactions: 2 users
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

When you consider the state the Warriors were in after 2012 getting a 'Marquee' coach was a tough ask. I repeat what I have posted before. Matt will not win us a comp. However, he has the experience to put the team and structures in place that it can happen. While he is coach he has to be managed to rein in his excesses. Hopefully (as he has said) he has learnt from previous mistakes. Meanwhile the players have to pull their heads in. Their job is to play. If they have greivances they should be addressed through the players leadership group. I really think that they should have an agreed social media policy. In fact they need to sit down as a group and take responsibility and set their standards for the season. Then enforce them through peer pressure. Never mind the 'You fucked up bro, never mind, it's not your fault, fuck them'.

Those standards could be the subject of it's own thread.

gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
just want it on record that I am not a fanboi - but I have no inside information and all I have to go with is what I have seen and that was an improvement and the start of a process many of us have been asking for, for some years. Taken on this I cant dump him yet. I also am not overly impressed with most of the other coaches that are available. And have a belief that the two that I really want may not be available to us - ever

Reactions: 3 users
edd

edd

Sam Tomkins for player/coach 2014...

Matagi for PM...

Now them's two players who can get the job done... No matter who the coach is...

Reactions: 1 users
mode81

mode81

Sam Tomkins for player/coach 2014...

Matagi for PM...

Now them's two players who can get the job done... No matter who the coach is...

Sam Tomkins and Suaia Matagi are two players we can build this club around in the next few years, Matagi has just got better and better at the World Cup after a great season for us, these two players bring the type of attitude that's needed here, proud men fiercely driven and determined to succeed.