General Who should coach the Warriors in 2013?

Who should coach the Warriors in 2013?

• Total voters
tajhay

tajhay

🏉
Alright so same question that I put to inruin- at what point do make the call?
So u really think its a good idea to wait till after 2014 has finished?
Why not? What is the rush to make a decision now? Whats the point of having a two year contract otherwise? Sorry, not seeing the point you are trying to make.

Defence

Defence

hypothetically if we make the 8 and maybe the GF you would be happy to see him replaced?

Yes- I would be willing to make the call early and live or die by it- better than sitting on the fence all year then throwing a lifeline to any coach who will take us once the season is over- its too late then, the hoarse has bolted.
Was it the right call for the warriors to chase pumpkins or should they have waited just incase Locke wins the World Cup with the kiwis?
Anyway with all the talk of players not putting in coz they want him sacked- even if they did announce a new coach and then he got them to the gf u would have to wonder if that was the players reacting to his coaching or his sacking

Anonymous

Anonymous

Reputable Source
A little something to add to the current discussion.

Source Conversation with a Senior Player who is a close friend of Anonymous
Date Around the second bye

- Senior player mentioned that ME was the worst coach he has ever had. Also added that ME had some good things to offer.
- Senior player also mentioned that some of the players needed to 'harden up' and werent taking responsibility.
- Senior player was looking to air issues with coach prior to the end of the season. Is currently on World Cup duty so unaware if he had chat with coach.

Reactions: 4 users
Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
Yes- I would be willing to make the call early and live or die by it- better than sitting on the fence all year then throwing a lifeline to any coach who will take us once the season is over- its too late then, the hoarse has bolted.
Was it the right call for the warriors to chase pumpkins or should they have waited just incase Locke wins the World Cup with the kiwis?
Anyway with all the talk of players not putting in coz they want him sacked- even if they did announce a new coach and then he got them to the gf u would have to wonder if that was the players reacting to his coaching or his sacking
I'm happy with elliott, i have seen improvement and have no reason to think we won't give it a good shake this season. If there is an obvious coach availble that offers substantially more than elliott then by all means look at him as soon as possible. However, with all the coaches OMG mentioned i don't see anything that they would bring to the table that is worth the change. I think that there are already plans in place, which is why I'm not to worried about it. I also think, similarly to tajhay i that it wont be because of the coach that we dont make the 8. It's really up to the players now IMO.

Defence

Defence

Why not? What is the rush to make a decision now? Whats the point of having a two year contract otherwise? Sorry, not seeing the point you are trying to make.

Really? Im trying not to repeat myself but the point is if u wait till after the year is finished to sign a coach all the half decent coaches have already committed and u have to take what ever is left over.
Also try signing a player if they dont know who their coach will be- or re-sign what u got for that matter.

Reactions: 1 users
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Defence your asking us to make a decision based on rumour and speculation rather than what we have seen for ourselves. So far what have we seen - an improvement over last year and the loss of 2 players neither of any great consequence.

This tells me that it is better than what we had in Bluey but maybe not as good as what we had in Ivan. Ignoring all the rumours which I would do when making any business decision without facts to back it up. I would have to give him another season. I assume he is on a performance based contract like the players and needs to perform.

You ask when to axe him? How bout when we have actually seen him fail, or do you prefer to sack people before there is a problem?

tajhay

tajhay

🏉
Really? Im trying not to repeat myself but the point is if u wait till after the year is finished to sign a coach all the half decent coaches have already committed and u have to take what ever is left over.
Also try signing a player if they dont know who their coach will be- or re-sign what u got for that matter.
Id love to know of all these half decent coaches that would:
- be a guaranteed upgrade on Elliot
- be assured of being a hit with the players
- who would want to come to a club rife with player power, which resulted in players not putting in for their last coach who then subsequently got sacked.
- who would want to come to a club that is not in Australia, and be prepared to move their family for a shot at a club that has just gone through 3 coaches the last 3 years.

Poisoned chalice? Or an actual First Grade Coaching Opportunity?

Reactions: 1 user
Defence

Defence

I'm happy with elliott, i have seen improvement and have no reason to think we won't give it a good shake this season. If there is an obvious coach availble that offers substantially more than elliott then by all means look at him as soon as possible. However, with all the coaches OMG mentioned i don't see anything that they would bring to the table that is worth the change. I think that there are already plans in place, which is why I'm not to worried about it. I also think, similarly to tajhay i that it wont be because of the coach that we dont make the 8. It's really up to the players now IMO.

Haha i must be talking jibberish- it is pretty late over here.
So your saying u wouldn't tell Elliott he was out but u would be having a sneaky look around?

Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
Id love to know of all these half decent coaches that would:
- be a guaranteed upgrade on Elliot
- be assured of being a hit with the players
- who would want to come to a club rife with player power, which resulted in players not putting in for their last coach who then subsequently got sacked.
- who would want to come to a club that is not in Australia, and be prepared to move their family for a shot at a club that has just gone through 3 coaches the last 3 years.

Poisoned chalice? Or an actual First Grade Coaching Opportunity?
they didnt play for there last 3 coaches. Bluey, Iro, Elliott

gREVUS

gREVUS

Contributor
A little something to add to the current discussion.

Source Conversation with a Senior Player who is a close friend of Anonymous
Date Around the second bye

- Senior player mentioned that ME was the worst coach he has ever had. Also added that ME had some good things to offer.
- Senior player also mentioned that some of the players needed to 'harden up' and werent taking responsibility.
- Senior player was looking to air issues with coach prior to the end of the season. Is currently on World Cup duty so unaware if he had chat with coach.

So if read this right the senior player is saying that the players are to blame for the end of year result?

And although he is the worst coach ever the senior player can see that he can learn from ME anyway?

Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
Haha i must be talking jibberish- it is pretty late over here.
So your saying u wouldn't tell Elliott he was out but u would be having a sneaky look around?
well, you mentioned Tomkins before, just because we have Locke, Fish, Ropati doesnt mean we shouldnt be looking for upgrades. Of course, you would always be keeping an eye out for players/coaches that can improve your performances. So, you decide before the start of the season if there is a better option, so you can get a coach/player you wnat rather than being left with the discards. when you announce that is another story. I think there are plans in place already. So like i say im not worried about it.

I'm glad its late over there and you are on here. my work day would be dragging without some discusion on here and it looks like i'm actually concentrating on work issues with all this typing.

Reactions: 2 users
Defence

Defence

Defence your asking us to make a decision based on rumour and speculation rather than what we have seen for ourselves. So far what have we seen - an improvement over last year and the loss of 2 players neither of any great consequence.

No im asking u to answer a simple question- if we were to change coaches do u think its best to wait till after a season has finished to start looking for a new one?
A one word answer will do

ramraider78

ramraider78

TBH not really keen to see a a recycled FG coach who has around a few clubs but really had no success - IMO either a top end coach with a positive winning ratio who can be poached for $ - Hasler , Madge or go with a rookie with the right coaching pedigree - Walters, Morgan, McFadden.

The coaching saga was to messy last year and dragged out to long. I agree with an earlier post , having the right coach in place is a massive tool for recruitment.

The coach has to lead from the top and initiate that winning culture for players to buy into IMO - I still look at the regular top 4 clubs in the comp and wonder how we could get those coaches here and in still that winning attitude.

gREVUS

gREVUS

Contributor
No im asking u to answer a simple question- if we were to change coaches do u think its best to wait till after a season has finished to start looking for a new one?
A one word answer will do

sorry you get to ask the question, but I get to chose how to answer, and ill do it as I did before. I would wait till I see a problem, not react to rumours and speculation before I would sack the coach. As to when to look, I would have a contingency plan and a strategic plan both of which I would follow, I would not let a better season than the one before push me into another rash decision on who to lead the warriors

OMG

OMG

TBH not really keen to see a a recycled FG coach who has around a few clubs but really had no success - IMO either a top end coach with a positive winning ratio who can be poached for $ - Hasler , Madge or go with a rookie with the right coaching pedigree - Walters, Morgan, McFadden.

The coaching saga was to messy last year and dragged out to long. I agree with an earlier post , having the right coach in place is a massive tool for recruitment.

The coach has to lead from the top and initiate that winning culture for players to buy into IMO - I still look at the regular top 4 clubs in the comp and wonder how we could get those coaches here and in still that winning attitude.

I think Scotland has more chance of winning the World cup than us getting one of them,
of the up and comers I'd be staring hard at Paul Green- While the Roosters had some great signings it was their defence that won them the Premiership and none of their signings were exactly defensive machines when signed, Green has been given a bit of credit in this department.
We know the Warriors can score tries, the big issue is defence, which is the main reason I want Elliot gone, sure the offence was slightly better, but defence was woeful, scramble was where we improved, but defensive line structure and attitude is a major worry ..
Coincidence that Elliot's mentor was Brian Smith-I think not..

Defence

Defence

sorry you get to ask the question, but I get to chose how to answer, and ill do it as I did before. I would wait till I see a problem, not react to rumours and speculation before I would sack the coach. As to when to look, I would have a contingency plan and a strategic plan both of which I would follow, I would not let a better season than the one before push me into another rash decision on who to lead the warriors

So that's a no then :)

eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
as stated before- Elliot has had more resources, more staff, better roster, less injuries than the previous Coach and got us to 11th,

Not sure how the 2013 roster is better than what Bluey had at his disposal. Agree about the additional staff though, both had injuries, every team has injuries.

2012 - 2013

J. Maloney - T. Leuluai
K. Inu - D. Nielsen
M. Luck - T. Lowrie
L. Brown - D. Peyroux
U. Ta’i - S. Matagi
O. Slaimankel - N. Laumape

Pretty much a wash, I guess you could say Johnson, Hurrell, Fisiahi are better players with that extra year of experience.

I agree, it’s much too late to think about chucking ME in for 2014, if they can spend 2014 manoeuvring for a better coach in 2015 in a professional manner without it disrupting the current set up then that’s a reasonable approach. Not sure if that's possible with leaks and what have you.
I’m not really sure what value there is in kicking him upstairs as “coaching director” though, assuming Bell is still doing the recruitment, making sure the U20’s and Reserve Grade align with the 1st grade team, being a mentor and doing the media / PR doesn’t seem like a full time gig.
If he hasn’t got the team performing after two full seasons just cut him loose.

Date Around the second bye - Senior player mentioned that ME was the worst coach he has ever had. Also added that ME had some good things to offer. - Senior player also mentioned that some of the players needed to 'harden up' and werent taking responsibility. - Senior player was looking to air issues with coach prior to the end of the season. Is currently on World Cup duty so unaware if he had chat with coach.
World cup warriors who would be considered senior players, there's only one that I can think of who wasn't around for Ivan/Bluey/Iro.
If it isn't him, and they seriously (seriously) think that ME is worse the Bluey, then maybe anyone would be better.
It's easy to forget now how inept they were in the second half of 2012, hard to believe ME is a worse coach than that.

Defence

Defence

I think Scotland has more chance of winning the World cup than us getting one of them,
of the up and comers I'd be staring hard at Paul Green- While the Roosters had some great signings it was their defence that won them the Premiership and none of their signings were exactly defensive machines when signed, Green has been given a bit of credit in this department.
We know the Warriors can score tries, the big issue is defence, which is the main reason I want Elliot gone, sure the offence was slightly better, but defence was woeful, scramble was where we improved, but defensive line structure and attitude is a major worry ..
Coincidence that Elliot's mentor was Brian Smith-I think not..

Say we missed the boat with green- cowboys have signed him

gREVUS

gREVUS

Contributor
So that's a no then :)
nope that's a - I don't see the point of the question at this stage, so that leaves me time to make plans about the future, assuming that I was in a position to affect the future of the warriors

phil.kingston

If it isn't him, and they seriously (seriously) think that ME is worse the Bluey, then maybe anyone would be better.

If that senior player thinks that, then you have to think how credible this senior player is

I dont think a senior player or two not liking a new coach is that bad a situation either...maybe the new coach has asked them to get their act together and put a bit more effort in, which the senior players dont like etc...Take the case of penrith. Clearly pissed off Luke Lewis (Royalty in Penrith teams of the past)/Michael Jennings etc, stripped lewis of captancy and got rid of jennings. The management obviously bought into the coaches idea which is why they've supported him.

ME took penrith to second on the table not that long ago, so he cant be the worst coach in NRL...Obviously the management is sold on his vision....He's here till the end of 2014, so I'd just wait and see until the end of season to see if he needs to be replaced. Obviously, the management should continue to keep making a play at a Belamy/Hasler/Bennett/Robinson/McGuire/Toovey...cause no matter what the result of 2014 is, these guys would take warriors in the right direction. But there is no point in looking for a 2nd Tier coach from now on, we already have one

Reactions: 4 users