Votes: 2 18.2%
  • J-ro

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Kevin

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

DanKokoro_old

Lance, Kevin, or J-ro?

Even though it was Lances first game back and we should probably go easy on him, he looked lazy and was without impact. As soon as J-ro moved back there our kick returns were immediately far more threatening (granted the storm D wasn't very organised late in the game). Anyway IMO i think it's clear to see what we're missing by having Lance at FB, and it's a double bonus because he goes to his best position of impact hooker.

Was good to hear Ivan talk about J-ro and Lance before the game. Saying that Lance watching J-ro the last couple of games might have given him a shot in the arm to give us something extra special. He didn't really but i always find it encouraging when Ivan is noticing these things.

Will Lance play next week i wonder? anyone know how serious his injury is?

Last edited by a moderator:

The 22 BEAST_old

Kevin is the future of the Warriors at fullback but you have to play Jerome there at the moment cause he is playing awesome.

Magic Stick_old

Rest of 2010 = Jerome Ropati at fullback
2011 - Kevin Locke at fullback

Lance Hohaia is a rubbish fullback

Tyrael_old

First off, I think J-Ro should be fullback for the rest of 2010. However I do think Locke is the future there.

It is also interesting that Lance is getting a lot of flak (even from me) because he was very good last year there and was so good there, kept Wade out and consequently he moved to the tigers. Was Lance a bit of a fluke there? Did we really have no option?

Magic Stick_old

Hohaia looks slow and has lost alot of zip.cant slip tackles and isnt a threat at all back there.

Maybe he needs a good break.he been playing a while in the NRL

2big2strong_old

I think he was so good because of the 1 play he stunned teams with every week; the run sideways, dummy to the centres then put the foot down and bust through a gap. It worked extremely well at scrum formation and he even scored a monumental try with it in the World Cup final for the Kiwi's.

I heard Braith Anasta talking about Hohaia earlier this year on NRL tactics and he said that a large part of the Roosters gameplans against the Warriors in recent years have been to nullify Hohaia's space and put plenty of numbers on him as they see him as an even bigger threat than Manu.

Maybe this is the reason for the big turn in form? Maybe other teams have just figured him out.

Northern_Union

Hohaia has done nothing wrong at fullback and i feel safe with him at the back. Jro has played well at the back so far but we still haven't seen him tested at the back with a bombathon and i think he may get found out with a smart kicking game.

DanKokoro_old

Hohaia has done nothing wrong at fullback and i feel safe with him at the back. Jro has played well at the back so far but we still haven't seen him tested at the back with a bombathon and i think he may get found out with a smart kicking game.

well that depends on your definition of wrong. I think for a fullback, jogging back to collect the ball and then jogging back at the line is wrong. If you don't consider that wrong, fine, but then you have to ask what has he done right besides get the basics right?

Spence_old

All the good things I remember Hohaia doing, last night, were from dummy half. Enough said.

DanKokoro_old

yeah i probs should've made it more specific and say "who should be FB for the rest of the season".. i still go Kevin, but have no issue with J-ro playing there instead until next year

Spence_old

I'd be happy with J-Ro and Kevin. I think J-Ro would probably be better, but a part of me still yearns to see Locke at the back.

Iafeta_old

Lance Hohaia at fullback.

I would happily take Jerome Ropati as fullback when the bloke gets safe under the high ball. In his first stint as club and Kiwis fullback, J'Ro was horrid under the high ball. He had a glaring error in him on his kick returns too where he tried to power through the kick-chase defence, and frequently knocked on, sometimes costing us tries. That part of his game seems to be rectified, however, the bomb part does not. There was a simple one last night that he let bounce, and then bounce again, hoping instead of just catching it and returning 20m upfield that the ball would bounce over the dead ball line. The problem is, the football can bounce anywhere. If that bounced on its point backwards, it was only Jerome Ropati and Kevin Locke defending against 4-5 Storm players. That could have cost us the game.

His running game is superb. I have no doubts on J'Ro on that. If Lance is out for a couple of weeks, and Jerome can prove he can take a bomb, he's the fullback. If he is still having problems, come September, you need to not turn the ball over from kicks and therefore Lance Hohaia is rightly the fullback.

Magic Stick_old

I would happily take Jerome Ropati as fullback when the bloke gets safe under the high ball. In his first stint as club and Kiwis fullback, J'Ro was horrid under the high ball. He had a glaring error in him on his kick returns too where he tried to power through the kick-chase defence, and frequently knocked on, sometimes costing us tries. .

That was a long time ago...