17 T. Hazelton 0 0 0 0 1 0 21 0 1 14 0 0 0m 119m 0 0

Rate the game?

• A+

• A

• B

• C

• F-

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’m a fan of metcalfe’s speed and runs but he showed yesterday he’s got some deficiencies. He starves RTS of room so we can’t get the ball out to Montoya. Think it is because he relies on having a running game that by the time he works out he can’t run it he shuffles it to RTS

Keen to see TMM or dare I say, CHT.

Also, a bit worried about the size of the gap between Egan and Lussick

Rogers no good going sideways. His trench is straight running, at big men preferably and then stepping at the last minute. Also making huge yardage meters which Tuapiki does not do.

I honestly think Pompey is super underrated in centres and we should move RTS to fullback and Ali n pomp’s in centres
Re: Pompey..... He'd be fine. The question is do we need to take drastic knee jerk reactions or sharpen up?

Was it that Lussick was the problem? Was it that thing where Webby has said "our problem is about concentration and staying focused for the whole game." *Paraphrased*

I'm ok if RTS runs from fullback but I am genuinely interested in seeing him at centre. I'm happy to endure an ironing out period of say up to round 8. Then my knee will move.

Taine should stay. I don’t feel like he got out played by his oppo.

RTS was rusty and died with the ball too many times. That edge isn’t cohesive yet. Metcalf cut back in half the time and the other RTS killed the play. What we didnt see was those guys taking the defence apart. They weren’t moving together.

Lussick isn’t the answer to any question. Put CHT there, push Walker to the middles and run 3 halves. We need the extra ball player with CNK out and Metcalf not up to speed.

Laban in for Ford. That allows time to blood the rookie and give Ford a message. Also allows you to make the reverse swap after a few games with the pressure off.

I dont see what Taine brings to the fb position hes small & gets owned in the tackle.He seems to get big wraps but i thought even Geronimo Doyle outplayed him in his 5mins in the trial. Also Lussic wouldnt even make most teams reserve grade & we have zero bench impact.
I thought Taine was pretty solid out there for a noob, he had some nice runs from DH which set up fast ptb's and a roll on.

I feel safe when he plays which is good enough after half a dozen nrl games.

I feel your pain but, hopefully CNK's back next week.

I’m a fan of metcalfe’s speed and runs but he showed yesterday he’s got some deficiencies. He starves RTS of room so we can’t get the ball out to Montoya. Think it is because he relies on having a running game that by the time he works out he can’t run it he shuffles it to RTS

Keen to see TMM or dare I say, CHT.

Also, a bit worried about the size of the gap between Egan and Lussick
Metcalf will get better as his combination with Roger and Ford becomes "battle hardened" by the season.

Regarding Lussick.......... Wonder why we let Sironen go as we was kind of bloke who would have serviced dummy half or subbed injured Capewell or having a crappy night Ford.

I also miss Curran.

But with who we have we'll kick on.

Taine should stay. I don’t feel like he got out played by his oppo

Lussick isn’t the answer to any question. Put CHT there, push Walker to the middles and run 3 halves. We need the extra ball player with CNK out and Metcalf not up to speed.

Laban in for Ford. That allows time to blood the rookie and give Ford a message. Also allows you to make the reverse swap after a few games with the pressure off.
Really solid solutions. All of them 👍👍👍

First, the positives defence generally was good. Everybody was putting in but were playing as individuals. Defensive highlight for me was Roccos tackle of Talaki being in space and at speed close to the line

Well done Sharks played as a team with precision and desperation, they kept their shape despite being on their last gasps.

The Warriors got complacent and could not get their shape going. It got to the stage where players lost composure. They cannot just throw it to SJ and Luke and RTS without having shape and bodies in motion. It renders. Them ineffective.

A lot of criticism of Lussick who I thought defended well. He is not Egan, when Egan is off first receiver has to adjust to Lussicks shorter pass distance. His pass isn't as fast so if they stay at Egans distance it gives opposition ample time to suffocate the attack.

I do not like saying this but our guys seemed to believe their press. One game. Learn lessons and adjust, that is what good teams do.

Thought Ford was ok defensively and that would be a tough debut for Laban up against Katoa or Chan. Could just identify another short ball threat that Ford put a few down? Laban had a few mistakes in nsw cup and looked upset with himself which I think means he’s been told if he continues the trajectory he’s on, he’ll debut soon. There’s probably enough there to take that gamble and play him? Also watching the nsw cup game, I think Leiataua is close to playing his way into the team and I thought he and TMM had a nice report going between them. If Capewell is injured they might not have much choice but to play Laban or Bunty starting prop and Barnett to an edge?

God the footy IQ of people on here is shocking.

Metcalf for whatever reason is going to get bagged no matter what by some of you.

Without him we probably score zero points yesterday.

The real concern is if Egan is injured cause without him our whole attack falls apart, we looked like a top 2 side when he was on and the second he went off everything literally fell apart.

Those suggesting to bring back Pompey and CHT need a swift uppercut cause you literally have no idea.

Metcalf for whatever reason is going to get bagged no matter what by some of you.

The real concern is if Egan is injured cause without him our whole attack falls apart, we looked like a top 2 side when he was on and the second he went off everything literally fell apart.

Those suggesting to bring back Pompey and CHT need a swift uppercut cause you literally have no idea.
I lol'd your post, not the content, all fair points, but you some fire in the belly this morning.

Think we need to be patient this year. Most teams cannot win without their star hooker, fullback, and a learning half.
I was happy with the fundamentals and attitude last night, it all begins from there.

Re Metcalf I am amazed. He scores a try by taking on the line and getting through.

The next poster says Metcalf has got to remember to pass the ball.
How does that work 🤔

we all got that passion for the same result,

Round 1 cobwebs out of the system with Storm a tough but appropriate challenge next week.

Someone got the bench rotation wrong and Webbys answer was a little muddled.

Metcalf is obviously hot and cold so no uppercuts required, great on the individual effort, poor on the team play and putting pressure on the opposition, particularly 4th 5th tackle

We don’t want to be 4 - 0 by the time CNK and Egan return so swallow some pride and put RTS at FB Pomp’s in centre and strengthen the bench.

SJ on his own has no space and limited options.

We must get 2 wins out of the first 4 games

Taine should stay. I don’t feel like he got out played by his oppo.

RTS was rusty and died with the ball too many times. That edge isn’t cohesive yet. Metcalf cut back in half the time and the other RTS killed the play. What we didnt see was those guys taking the defence apart. They weren’t moving together.

Im obviously not a fan of Metcalf other than he is an adequate back up player. I have watched him fairly closely as you have done for Reese Walsh. If anyone is expecting anything much more than what we saw tonight then it's going to be a long season for you. You will get the odd highlight reel play. That try he scored was a great try. But you can't ignore the rest of his game because those highlights are going to be few and far between and don't make up for the remaining chunk of play. You have RTS and Montoya outside him who looked sharp in the first trial with a half who has been out of the game for a season. What you saw last night is exactly what you saw last season with Pompey and Montoya and everyone was jumping on Pompey as the weak link. You only had to look at their body language to realise they were completely frustrated The reality is you have a guy with some speed who wants to be a half but has a very limited passing game and limited decision making. The trials he was caught on the 5th a few times or out of position when it mattered. Last night not aware enough for an RTS offload, caught on the last a few times (passing to AFB for the last tackle kick wtf?) and completely missing in that second half. If you talk about heart, Reece Walsh at least wants to be involved with the game on the line and have ball in hand trying something, creating something. Go back and watch the last 20 minutes. He is completely static on most plays. I actually think he looks lost and the team either don't trust him or he doesn't want to be involved when the going gets tough. I would even say that the team either can't rely on him, don't trust him, possibly don't like playing with him or even could be all of the above - watch the last 20 with those things in mind. I don't think I'm wrong.

SJ was playing for a long period there with a rookie FB who I thought was actually pretty good, just needs to work more on those link plays (CNK took a while to get them too), a back up 9 and a 6 who was missing - and he still kept us in the game.

So, IMO, expect more of the same. Highlight plays every so often. We will beat weaker teams but RTS and Montoya are unlikely to look good on that edge and unlikely to get much good quality, quick ball that puts them in space to take advantage of RTS skills. And, as I said preseason, you will have posters asking if RTS was worth bringing back and why he doesn't look that good at centre. You actually don't have to look far for the answer.

I expect largely the same team to be named next week with the exception of injuries. But I'm expecting the left edge to look pretty much the same and us to be competitive if we have 3/4 of our spine playing. We are better with TMM or dare I say it CHT at 6. They aren't perfect by any stretch of the imagination and will make errors too, but they would take us to 3.5/4 spine players and unlock that left edge.

That's all I've got to say about that. ☎️ (Is the hang up the phone the new mic drop?)

Last edited:
Back