General Blueys Round Review 2024

mt.wellington

Contributor
Blueys Round Review 2024

V6MZ463CXWNEOO4GT6NOCGKSUE.jpg

For those unfamiliar with this thread it was spawned back in 2012 after former coach Brian (Bluey) McClennan famously stated that he should be judged on his coaching after Round 6 and since then its been a tradition at this forum to have a round 6 review of the season thus far.

So how do you see us going to date and into the finals rounds? Where will we finish on the ladder? Is the team exceeding, maintaining or falling short of your preseason predictions? What scorecard out of 10 does the coach get? And the players?

Discuss...

3 wins a draw and 2 losses, I say we are traveling fine.

Webby 8 out of 10 no need to panic.

1 C N Klokstad: 8/10.
Huge since he's been back! Feel more confident with him in the team.

2 D W Zelezniak: 8/10.
Has been consistently good this season with the tough stuff, he's probably suffering from having different fullbacks so far, but with CNK back I'm sure he will start getting more scoring opportunities.

3 R Berry: 8/10.
His best start to a season to date! Has arrived as a first pick first grader! Love what he's bringing to this team for 24, keep it up Rocco!

4 R T Sheck: 7/10.
Has done a great job filling in on the wing and FB. Needs more time at centre, the only thing gripe I have is I hope he knows that we don't need him to do everything all the time (he doesn't need to be that guy).

5 M Montoya: 7.
Doing a solid job on the left edge, does a lot of hard stuff out of our own end. He's a good momentum guy, not flashy but a far better option that Kosi. Left wing is a spot for me where there can be some movement, not because I want Montoya gone, but we could have somthing with RTS on the wing.

6 T M Martin: 7.5.
In the two games I've seen so far Martin has looked at ease at five eight. He's looked crafty with ball in hand, has a crisp passing game and could be the guy to unlock that left edge and RTS.

7 S Johnson: 8.5.
SJ is Everything to this side! We lose SJ we won't be able to do most of the good things we are currently doing. His kicking game is everything to us being able to put teams under the pump. It's so weird to say but SJ is a complete footballer in the halfback position. He's giving his all! He's certainly silenced me who in the past has really put the boot into SJ. I'll eat shit all day for you SJ 😂 the second coming of SJ is the best story in the NRL right now.

8 A F Blake: 8.
Super sad he's leaving, but also enjoying his work so far. His presence on the field just puts everyone on notice! A top line prop who wont be replaced. Will miss AFB so much! Our alpa is leaving so who steps up? A huge question for webby and the club to answer.

9 W Egan: 8.5.
Like SJ he's a vital cog in the warriors wheel. The actual difference when he came back from when he was gone was huge! I hate saying we are fucked without SJ and Egan but the difference in team performance is immense! Would deserve to play origin but for selfish reasons I hope he doesn't. This guy should not be going anywhere amd is already the greatest #9 we have ever had.

10 M Barnett: 8.5.
"I FUCKEN LOVE THIS GUY!" a tough uncompromising player. He's got to be our leader and alpha in 25, who's going to go with him? His line speed on defense is incredible! Looking at the proping options for 25, I would be upgrading this guy handsomely and extension on the cards surely! Please don't leave Barny! Surely origin beckons!!!! I'm picking him all day!

11 J Ford: 7.5.
Other than his handling errors I'm loving his work! This guy should only get better under webby going FORD (no pun intended even though I intended it). It's interesting he's got a good combo with SJ this year, just shows the All-Roundedness of SJ now he plays both sides! A real grafter this guy love Jacko and love that he's found himself in warriors colours.

12 K Capewell: 7.
He's been good at holding down that edge defensively but I feel we love lost that punch that marata was bringing last season, in hindsight with marata it's a blessing. Again he's tough and in time I think we will absolutely love what he does for us. Surly in contention for origin along with Barnett and Egan, would be mad to have all three!

13 T Harris: 8.
The rock! Don't want to jinx him but Tohu looks a lot stronger that he did all of last season! Just having Tohu out there must be so calming for all the young guys. Such a influential figure in the dressing room.

14 C H Tavita: 7.
Still finding his feet but after watching cup the last few weeks I'm so glad he's back! At least he can kick. I also think that a CHT under webby can become more All-Rounded. He's a fix it man right now but an important fix it man. Welcome back.

15 T Ale: 6 5.
Another player trying to find his place under webby. I love Ale and think he's got a future in this forward pack. I think once he finds his place he will grow exponentially. Webby, if you can let jazz run off the back fence like last night against manly and get hurt, then Ale is your guy!

16 J Tavaga: 6.5.
The Warrior! I think jazz has been very mixed so far this season. Wasn't webbys first pick and now injured again. I fear this is the end for jazz as he's off contract (not saying I want him gone). He's trying hard no doubt but it just seems a tad too far. His position is lock forward but with Tohu and walker I'm not sure where he sits?

17 J Laban: 6.5.
A real diamond to start shining webby. This kid is still a few seasons away but already looks comfortable. Played in the middle last night and looked up there in size! Does he develope into a middle? The world is at his feet!

• T Tuaupiki: 6.5
This guy is solid but I think he's the real third string in this team. Still a lot to learn but not sure he's going to really kick on? Could be wrong and happy to be, but a very solid backup.

• A Pompey: 7.
Man in the two games he's played this year he's looked good! A real question of should he start and push Roger out one! I think RTS needs more time but this guy has taken it all in his stride. Good on him for working his arse off and I have no doubt webby loves this kid and so should we.

• L Metcalf: 6.5.
Unlucky uso! Started the season okay, I'm still on the fence with this guy and I'm super glad we have stacked halves depth because you just need it with TMM and Metcalf. Happy he's happy here but so much more to work on other than staying fit.

• F Lussick: 6.
Has a bit to tidy up in his game! Got no doubt he's fit but who cares! His passing out of DH is average and he's a penalty magnet. There is a decent DH In him bit he needs to play more cup consistently and round out his game.

• B Aofa: 6.5
I've batted for bunty many times! But I can't see why the club would keep him on going beyond 2025? His output for a guy of his experience baffles me. This could be Ales spot or even a new face?

• M Niukore: 6.
Just haven't seen enough! I think his move to the middle needs to be permanent with the loss of AFB.

• D Walker: 7.
injured so far but looked pretty decent coming off the bench before that. Can't wait for him to get back for that anzac game as I think he's huge for that impact off the bench. This old dog is not done yet.

My top target would be Trey Mooney of the Raiders. McFadden you should know this guy and what he can bring, work some magic and offer him a starting spot next year.

I hope you guys enjoy this, I've always wanted to do one of these.

Last edited:
It's an incredibly close comp this year. The Bulldogs nearly got one over the Storm. The Broncos were flattered by too many injuries and reshuffles by the Dolphins. The Eels got a win over the Cowboys. Other than a Panthers outfit with Cleary fronting there hasn't really been a side dominating yet. Manly have been going pretty well so the fact we hung in the game and snatched a point is a good sign for the remainder of the season.

Have to sat I'm really happy.
We have got through the first quarter sitting safely in the top eight. We have done so after playing four form sides, Smellbourne, Raiders, Manly, Sharks are all top eight boys.
Newcastle are risky opponents, we claimed that scalp.
The only Floggs we have played was last week, crucially we gave them a hiding.

We are in trouble with injuries. But winnable games will see us get to halfway in the top 6 or so.

Funny thing is, Bluey was right about the 1st rounds being a yard stick come round 6.

Last edited:
Back